Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

The Walking Dead

Started by L-Face, February 05, 2013, 11:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeraiLer

Turn in your Walking Dead card. You have disgraced fellow fans with your constantly missing the show every Sunday.

Shadow

This is the Governor's doing, I'm sure.

Doomed Knight

Quote from: DeraiLer on March 11, 2013, 12:21:12 PM
This episode was sorely needed. The convo the past few weeks has been about how a peace can be found or if it is a fools dream and hearing both sides, and not just Rick and the Governors, but their underlings too, gave us a much deeper look into the situation. On one hand it was amazing watching the two leaders converse but on the other it was also good watching Daryl and Martinez bond with a smoke and that one-up zombie bashing was just a great scene. It was two soldiers knowing that even if they want this to end, it is out of their hands and they will follow their leaders orders when the call is given. Really good writing there. In fact, the last couple episodes has been superb writing. Finally characters are fleshed out. Michonne seems real and not just a caricature anymore, Maggie still fuckin hot as hell and even Beth got a little trigger happy.

The final act with Rick and Hershell was nothing short of good storytelling. No black and white situations here. Lots and lots of grey. As much as I like good zombie mayhem, good character scenes are also welcomed and these past two episodes have delivered.

can't say anything more. episode was great for developpement. I knew at the end Governor would still be an ass, but it's kool that Rick didn't fall for it, he still has his doubts when he speaks with hershel, but he still doesn't feel it.

L-Face

Three episodes left. Never thought it was possible to both be excited and bummed at the same time.

Doomed Knight

yep.

and I also wonder what will happen in season 4...

Dorkus

Quote from: gorefan1428 on March 06, 2013, 09:08:11 PM

The thing about the hitchhiker sort of erks me a bit . Rick is to high and mighty to offer help to outsider, but just think of where he would be without the help of strangers. Glen and Morgan could have easily left him to be zombie chow yet he can't help a guy alone screaming for help.

THANK YOU.

I really don't understand what purpose the hitchhiker part served. It showed that Rick is no longer a hero and wont help strangers, despite him still being alive thanks to one (well done on repaying him, btw, he's now insane)...and that's about it. It's completely puzzling that the writers think this makes for an appealing character trait. He even drove away Tyrese, who only wants to help and is now Woodsburys gain.

Don't give me no "it was too risky" tripe. THEY WERE IN A CAR.

Infact why are we rooting for Ricks group over Woodsbury? Because Woodsbury has an evil leader? Just overthrow him and you have a community that doesn't kick people out.

L-Face

Quote from: Dorkus on March 14, 2013, 08:23:54 AM
I really don't understand what purpose the hitchhiker part served. It showed that Rick is no longer a hero and wont help strangers, despite him still being alive thanks to one (well done on repaying him, btw, he's now insane)...and that's about it. It's completely puzzling that the writers think this makes for an appealing character trait. He even drove away Tyrese, who only wants to help and is now Woodsburys gain.

Yep, Rick's group does nothing but throw people out. Guess Oscar, Axel, Michonne, and even Merle don't count as bringing people in. Maybe if Rick saw something in the hitchhiker he could have used, he would have picked him up. Also, turning Tyrese and his group away was for their own safety considering Rick, in that moment, snapped and was waving a fucking gun around. And really? Gonna blame Rick for Morgan's insanity? That's a bit unfair considering Morgan admitted that the shit storm that rained down upon him was his own fucking fault.

Quote from: Dorkus on March 14, 2013, 08:23:54 AM
Infact why are we rooting for Ricks group over Woodsbury? Because Woodsbury has an evil leader? Just overthrow him and you have a community that doesn't kick people out.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that Rick's group has more members we can name than Woodbury does? You know, characters that are fleshed out (one starting to become fleshed out.) Characters we've spent two and a half seasons of run time with.

Dorkus

Exactly! Tyrese left because Rick, the leader, was waving a gun around due to a moment of insanity. So tell me, why should he be a leader? He's leaning on insanity, he has no longterm goal and he drives away potentially valuable new members. Daryl is just as good at killing walkers and Hershel is more capable of making rational decisions. Even Glenn could do the job if he controls his rage.

I'm sorry, this show has not convinced me that Rick is fit to lead, and I'm waiting for the writers to either replace him or redeem him.

You don't need to know the members of Woodbury. It's clear that their goal is to rebuild, and that sounds better to me than team Ricks goal of slowly dieing off.

Doomed Knight

maybe Rick is not fit to be a leader anymore, but he is still in the team and the first Main character.

all I know is they won't be with woodbsbury after getting rid of the Governor, because we need shit to happen in season 4.
or if they do merge, it won't be for long, because we ne shit to hapen.

it's only 3 episodes left, so either they make him less insane, or he stays like that and they change leader or not.
as long as the story in coherent wth his action, and that the story is still good, I don't really care if he stays the leader.

L-Face

Quote from: Dorkus on March 14, 2013, 01:16:14 PM
Exactly! Tyrese left because Rick, the leader, was waving a gun around due to a moment of insanity. So tell me, why should he be a leader? He's leaning on insanity, he has no longterm goal and he drives away potentially valuable new members. Daryl is just as good at killing walkers and Hershel is more capable of making rational decisions. Even Glenn could do the job if he controls his rage.

I'm sorry, this show has not convinced me that Rick is fit to lead, and I'm waiting for the writers to either replace him or redeem him.

You don't need to know the members of Woodbury. It's clear that their goal is to rebuild, and that sounds better to me than team Ricks goal of slowly dieing off.
He drove away one potentially valuable member. Even that's arguable considering said member needed a child's help to remain alive. No long term goal? Guess survival doesn't count, otherwise he wouldn't be racking up a body count. To me, that sounds better off than the sham that is Woodbury.

Dorkus

Woodbury is only a sham due to who is running it. Kill off the big man and what do you have? A walker-free town with plenty of female genitalia and an assload of supplies. If Andrea had just done her job, she could be running it.

I think we see survival differently. You see it as forming a small but tight group of zombie ass-kickers, I see it as rebuilding a large group in a safehaven and helping as many people as possible. Neither way is really wrong but as a believer of the latter method I'm getting annoyed at the show telling me that Rick is the good guy. I pretty much disagree with everything about him.

L-Face

In a show when the humans are becoming more of a threat to each other than the walkers, the only way a group looking to rebuild and make a safe haven would require a small, tight knit group of ass kickers to protect them. There's no reason The Governor's group and Rick's group couldn't co-exist (which is even what Rick suggested for the most part in the last episode) other than the Governor's bruised ego.

As far as Rick being the good guy/hero goes, I think those days are long since over. He hasn't really been much of a good guy since the first season or so. The way I see him right now is the lesser of two evils and I think that's what the writers are going for.

DeraiLer

Quote from: Dorkus on March 15, 2013, 07:26:06 AM
If Andrea had just done her job, she could be running it.

That would have been the ideal option but we all know the writers do not want a safe haven for Rick and Co. Kirkman and the other writers will find a way to destroy the city and force Rick to leave the prison and go back on the search for a new place. Sad but I don't see any good outcome coming. Ever.

L-Face

Is there ever really a good outcome when the setting is a zombie apocalypse? Sure, Tallahassee got his Twinkie and Columbus got the girl, but they were still under constant threat from zombies. All endings are bitter sweet or super tragic. 

gorefan1428

Quote from: DeraiLer on March 15, 2013, 10:10:41 AM
Quote from: Dorkus on March 15, 2013, 07:26:06 AM
If Andrea had just done her job, she could be running it.

That would have been the ideal option but we all know the writers do not want a safe haven for Rick and Co. Kirkman and the other writers will find a way to destroy the city and force Rick to leave the prison and go back on the search for a new place. Sad but I don't see any good outcome coming. Ever.

i agree as long as the how goes on there has to be disorder and a feeling of something bad could happen at any moment otherwise would we stay tuned if everything was going well?

I don't necessarily think the show will not have a good outcome, but that will come at the end of it's run.