Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

The Gentlemen's Shaving Club

Started by Crash Dummie, February 08, 2013, 05:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you use to shave your face (and/or other areas)?

Disposable razor
3 (27.3%)
2 bladed razor
1 (9.1%)
3 bladed razor
3 (27.3%)
4 bladed razor
0 (0%)
5 bladed razor
2 (18.2%)
Shavette
1 (9.1%)
Straight edged (cut throat) razor
0 (0%)
Single edged razor
0 (0%)
Double edged razor
1 (9.1%)
Electric razor
3 (27.3%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Crash Dummie

Why do I care about this? First, I'm bored. Two, for me, shaving went from being a necessary boring and painful chore to a fun and manly hobby.

I used to shave with a Mach 3 and canned goop. The blades often tugged and irritated my skin, leaving me with bad razor burn. Then reddit taught me about traditional wet shaving.

That's the kind of shaving where you need:

A brush,

a soap,

and (in my case) a DE razor.

With blades like this:

There was a definite leaving curve, but after I figured out how to do it properly, I was left with smoother skin, no more razor burn, and more money in my pockets due to the blades costing next to nothing. The initial start up price is higher, but you end up saving a lot.

DrumrbaxJ

My electric razor works to give me stubble that I like, when I actually shave. And I don't mean a traditional electric razor. I mean the clippers you use for your head.

Crash Dummie

Well, I use that too to trim my beard at a nice "William Riker" length, but I shave with upper cheeks and neck with the DE.

DrumrbaxJ

I haven't shaved since the beginning of November and want to go a full year to see what I end up with.

Shadow

Electric and whatever else I can find. Right now I apparently have 5 blades.

Gah, Reddit! [*angry*]

Crash Dummie

5 blades doesn't do it for me. 3 blades don't. Hell, even 2 might be too much.

A good shave usually take 2 or 3 passes. One with the grain, one across, and maybe one against. The multi blades cartridges work for many people, but in my case, the skin of my neck is very sensitive.

5 blades going all the same direction won't cut any more than 1 well angled blade, with they drag and irritate 5 times as much.

P.S.: I have a love/hate relationship with Reddit. It's an amazing place to discover a lot of things, but it's also full of teenagers who think they're smarter than they really are, and they post clichéd bullshit, bad rage comics, wretched memes and cats pictures.

P.P.S.: I don't mind the cats pictures too much however.

gorefan1428

electric for me my friend. sure it leaves stubble ,but it is quick and easy.

Dorkus

2 blades, motherfucker.  [*angry*]

BTW, shave with hot water. Better for your pores.

Chucky

I use either 3 or 5 blades. Usually 3, most of the time. Tried two different electric shavers, I get piss-poor cutting quality (compared to razors) and rashes galore when I use them... and that was even when I used one that cost over $500.

Crash Dummie

I have coarse hair with my pussy neck skin, so electrics just don't shave close at all.

Quote from: Dorkus on February 08, 2013, 12:51:35 PM

BTW, shave with hot water. Better for your pores.
Sure is. Here's what one of my shaves look like. It's a fun hobby.

L-Face

Whenever I shave, I have to use hair clippers. If I use razors, I get razor burn/bumps like a motherfucker and my skin gets all irritated.

Midian Fiend

I think the traditional way is best the way as Crash Dummie mentioned. FYI if you shave that way you're manly as fuck. I have to shave guys at work and usually use good disposable razors since they give a closer shave. Don't really like electric since they leave patches and don't cut close enough. Shaving hair from wrinkly areas is hard!

Crash Dummie

JasonzSon

Quote from: L-Face on February 08, 2013, 03:01:25 PM
Whenever I shave, I have to use hair clippers. If I use razors, I get razor burn/bumps like a motherfucker and my skin gets all irritated.
I've heard of that, but I can't get a clean cut with any sort of electric trimmer.  Unless I'm just terrible at it.