Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

What's the Last Non-Horror Movie You Watched?

Started by L-Face, February 06, 2013, 12:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

Same as the Last Horror Thread. Also forgot to mention, would be nice to see your thoughts on these and maybe a rating rather than just listing the title of the movie.

Last one I watched was Rocky 4. Cinemax on Demand has the whole series (with the exception of Rocky Balboa) so I've watched them all at least twice in the past month. As a kid, this was probably my favorite one due to how much of a bad ass Ivan Drago is. While he's still pretty bad ass (and is actually more of a threat than Clubber Lang was) I don't like this one nearly as much as I used to, but still find it really enjoyable. Apollo's death is still every bit as powerful as it was when I first saw this film, but I can't help but feel something is off about this movie.

Perhaps it's the overuse of the montage. Maybe it's Apollo's entrance into the Drago fight going on longer than necessary, I dunno. I have a general problem with the Rocky movies as a whole and that's the characters seem to regress waaaaay too much. Either way, I still dig the hell out of this movie. 7/10 solid film. Not the best in the series, but not the worst.

Chucky

Tits training montage before the final fight, though.  [*browwink*]

L-Face

Haha. Final montage is actually my favorite simply because of the song, "Hearts on Fire." Suppose that's a guilty pleasure of mine. Also, the final montage, not nearly as homo-erotic as the Apollo/Rocky montage in Rocky 3.

Crash Dummie

Rocky 4 is very, very stupid, but also one of the most fun movies to watch. I love the hell out of it, even if I shouldn't.

Last movie I watched was... Rocky.

Masterpiece. There's such a gap between the invincible American super hero from Rocky 4 and the down on his luck, full of potential yet complete under achiever shmuck from the first movie. But he takes that god damn chance, and even though he loses on points, he stays up against a man that outclasses him in every possible way, except maybe for his heart.

It gives me manly tears of testosterone.

L-Face

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 06, 2013, 01:01:01 AM
Rocky 4 is very, very stupid, but also one of the most fun movies to watch. I love the hell out of it, even if I shouldn't.

Last movie I watched was... Rocky.

Masterpiece. There's such a gap between the invincible American super hero from Rocky 4 and the down on his luck, full of potential yet complete under achiever shmuck from the first movie. But he takes that god damn chance, and even though he loses on points, he stays up against a man that outclasses him in every possible way, except maybe for his heart.

It gives me manly tears of testosterone.
I think the dynamic of Rocky 1 is helped by one scene in Rocky 2. At least for me. When both Rocky and Apollo are in the hospital, Rocky visits Apollo's room and asks him, "Did you give me everything you had?" and Apollo says, "Yes." Which to me, was a sign that, had the fight gone on longer, Rocky would have won. Kind of what happens in Rocky 2 as the fight is pretty much a continuation of the first.

Crash Dummie

Absolutely! Rocky had him by the last round, Appollo was saved by the bell.

(By the way, I call bullshit on that one; a round lasts three minutes, yet, in traditional movie logic, that last round lasted only 1 and a half)

And on any other night, Rocky would have stayed down after his first knockdown. His nose was broken and he was wrecked. But not that night. Even as his eye was busted and his eyelid filling with blood, he stayed the fuck up. Appollo thought he could carry him to round 3 and easily end it. He wasn't physically and mentally ready for the man to keep getting up.

The fight in Rocky is great as a piece of drama, but it always bugged me a little. "Rock, you have to fight right handed to protect your eye!"

Rocky trains to switch his stance for weeks, the eye is brought up often, people think he should stay retired so he will not go blind and then, the fight happens.

And Rock blocks each and every blow to his head, with his head. Both his eyes are blodied by the end.

But when he does win, and says "Yo Adran, I DID IT!"... them feels man... It's like somebody's cutting onions.

L-Face

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 06, 2013, 01:08:54 AM
Absolutely! Rocky had him by the last round, Appollo was saved by the bell.

(By the way, I call bullshit on that one; a round lasts three minutes, yet, in traditional movie logic, that last round lasted only 1 and a half)

And on any other night, Rocky would have stayed down after his first knockdown. His nose was broken and he was wrecked. But not that night. Even as his eye was busted and his eyelid filling with blood, he stayed the fuck up. Appollo thought he could carry him to round 3 and easily end it. He wasn't physically and mentally ready for the man to keep getting up.

The fight in Rocky is great as a piece of drama, but it always bugged me a little. "Rock, you have to fight right handed to protect your eye!"

Rocky trains to switch his stance for weeks, the eye is brought up often, people think he should stay retired so he will not go blind and then, the fight happens.

And Rock blocks each and every blow to his head, with his head. Both his eyes are blodied by the end.

But when he does win, and says "Yo Adran, I DID IT!"... them feels man... It's like somebody's cutting onions.
I can see why the last round in Rocky 1 only went a minute. Budgetary reasons. It was a film no one wanted to fund and when it came out, all those people kicked themselves in the asses for not being the ones that gave it the funding.

As for the whole "protect your eye/blocks every punch with his face" thing, that can chalked up to Rocky being stubborn. Gotta remember, he wasn't the brightest of people as showcased by his terrible animal related jokes and other forms of stupidity.

Crash Dummie

The thing is, he DID learn to fight right-handed, he even refused to switch back to his southpaw stance by the last round. It only served no purpose at all.

And are you telling me you didn't like the shell-shock joke?  [*laugh*]

L-Face

Again, reason he never switched to the southpaw stance can be chalked up to Rocky being stubborn. In Rocky 1 he wanted to prove he could go the distance. In Rocky 2, he wanted to win. He trained to win and the way he trained was in the orthodox stance. Him going southpaw, in his mind, would have negated learning to fight orthodox.

While the shell-shock joke was terrible, that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. Terrible jokes and a sort of innocence were what made Rocky a compelling character.

Crash Dummie

Exactly; I've heard people rag on the dialogue in the first Rocky... These characters aren't supposed to be smart.

Rocky is a dept collector with no education gets punched in the face for 20 bucks a night, and he doesn't even put in the effort he should and could have.

Adrian is the shyest, most socially awkward person you could ever see.

Paulie is a raging, bitter alcoholic.

But they all feel real. You feel for Rocky's sense of worthlesness, and the fact that he wants to prove himself. He tries hard to be funny, but even he knows his jokes suck. You feel for Adrian, stuck in a home with a drunk idiot where she cannot achieve anything. You even have pity for Paulie. We even discover he's a very talented artist in the 6th one, but his demons keep haunting him.

Jigsaw

16 to Life (2009)

A coming-of-age (more or less) story about a girl on her 16th birthday who's never been kissed. What I loved about this film was the dialogue and style of filming. It's not your typical teenage comedy - it's much more intelligent. It's actually a lot like Easy A (2010), only this came out before it. There are terribly funny scenes alongside some heartbreaking scenes. Loved the film. 10/10.

L-Face

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 03:07:38 AM
Ted.

It wasn't funny.
I've heard conflicting things about Ted. Some people say it's hilarious while other people aren't amused at all. I have a copy of it that I've kind of been holding off on watching for a while now. Should really get around to it eventually.

JasonzSon

Mine is Star Trek VIII: First Contact.  I watched this because I wanted to learn more about the Borg, and I wasn't disappointed.  It's a good film and it kept my attention a hell of a lot better than I expected.

Crash Dummie

That one kicks ass. The best there is with the TNG cast.