Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

What's the Last Non-Horror Movie You Watched?

Started by L-Face, February 06, 2013, 12:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

Damn it, I forgot. 16 to Life isn't the last movie I saw.

I saw the Avengers a few days ago. A friend let me borrow her DVD copy, so I finally got to see it.

Overall, for the most part, I was impressed. Some parts just made me laugh ("Hulk... go smash," or something to that effect).

Chucky

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 03:07:38 AM
Ted.

It wasn't funny.

It's not terrible but definitely overrated as fuck. The best score I could give it is 3/5 on a good day. Though the fight scene with Ted and Mark Wahlberg was amusing.

Jigsaw

Just came back from a Feminists for Action meeting and we watched Miss Representation (2011).

It's a documentary about how women are over-sexualized in today's movies and media. Interviewing people from Rachel Maddow to Katie Couric, I thought it was a pretty telling and depressing film. Reminds me about how much we have to change our culture.

7/10.

Dorkus

Quote from: Chucky on February 06, 2013, 08:29:41 AM
Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 03:07:38 AM
Ted.

It wasn't funny.

It's not terrible but definitely overrated as fuck. The best score I could give it is 3/5 on a good day. Though the fight scene with Ted and Mark Wahlberg was amusing.

If I was Seth McFarlane I wouldn't have played the thunder song part in any trailers. As sad as it is, that was the movies best joke. By the time I saw the movie I got no laughs from that or the supermarket scene because of the trailers overuse of them.

L-Face

Goon

Not the Goon based off of the comics. Different one with Seann William Scott. Not a fan of hockey, so I'm sure there are some things I'm missing, but I love this movie. In the end, it's not even really about the hockey, it's about the fighting and the bloodshed. It's supposed to be a comedy, but there are only a few parts that are "ha ha" funny. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of this movie. Also, Liev Schreiber is intimidating as hell in this one.

7/10

Crash Dummie

You'd probably enjoy the hell out of Slapshot. It has the surface of a violent and vulgar hockey movie, but a brilliant film is hidden under all of that.

It works as a comedy, a sociological commentary, and a character study. Paul Newman can do no wrong.

L-Face

I heard about Slapshot, mostly good things. If it's ever on one of the movie channels, I'll give it a watch.

Crash Dummie

I believe it's on Netflix, if you have a account.

Akasha

The Watch - High expectations, because it had Vince Vaughn (hilarious) and Jonah Hill (so hilarious), combined with a bit of Ben Stiller who plays a rather uptight man, who starts his own neighborhood watch.
I had a few sincere laughs, and it's definitely worth a watch. But to say this is the best comedy of the year, no.

7/10

DrumrbaxJ

Quote from: Jigsaw on February 06, 2013, 11:29:25 AM
Just came back from a Feminists for Action meeting and we watched Miss Representation (2011).

It's a documentary about how women are over-sexualized in today's movies and media. Interviewing people from Rachel Maddow to Katie Couric, I thought it was a pretty telling and depressing film. Reminds me about how much we have to change our culture.

7/10.

Bang my head against a wall for three hours/10 you mean.

Reign in Blood

Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 12:56:33 AM
Same as the Last Horror Thread. Also forgot to mention, would be nice to see your thoughts on these and maybe a rating rather than just listing the title of the movie.

Last one I watched was Rocky 4. Cinemax on Demand has the whole series (with the exception of Rocky Balboa) so I've watched them all at least twice in the past month. As a kid, this was probably my favorite one due to how much of a bad ass Ivan Drago is. While he's still pretty bad ass (and is actually more of a threat than Clubber Lang was) I don't like this one nearly as much as I used to, but still find it really enjoyable. Apollo's death is still every bit as powerful as it was when I first saw this film, but I can't help but feel something is off about this movie.

Perhaps it's the overuse of the montage. Maybe it's Apollo's entrance into the Drago fight going on longer than necessary, I dunno. I have a general problem with the Rocky movies as a whole and that's the characters seem to regress waaaaay too much. Either way, I still dig the hell out of this movie. 7/10 solid film. Not the best in the series, but not the worst.

Hmm, the training montage is the best in cinematic history, and Apollo coming out to James Brown singing "Living in America" is probably the greatest ring entrance of all time. Maybe we have our priorities in different places. In any event, 10/10, no candy ass movie in the last two decades can pump up a red-blooded male like the Rocko vs. Drago fight.  [*hehehmm*]

Chucky

Quote from: L-Face on February 07, 2013, 01:36:44 AM
Goon

Not the Goon based off of the comics. Different one with Seann William Scott. Not a fan of hockey, so I'm sure there are some things I'm missing, but I love this movie. In the end, it's not even really about the hockey, it's about the fighting and the bloodshed. It's supposed to be a comedy, but there are only a few parts that are "ha ha" funny. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of this movie. Also, Liev Schreiber is intimidating as hell in this one.

7/10

I rented that movie out around 6 months ago, I remember liking it to some degree also. Still ultimately a one-and-done flick for me though.

L-Face

Quote from: Chucky on February 07, 2013, 06:55:57 PM
Quote from: L-Face on February 07, 2013, 01:36:44 AM
Goon

7/10

I rented that movie out around 6 months ago, I remember liking it to some degree also. Still ultimately a one-and-done flick for me though.
I've actually watched it a few times in the past few months. It's a fun flick. Kinda "Rocky on Ice" without the whole figure skating thing.

Last movie I watched was BASEketball. Hilarious movie. Up until recently, it had been almost a decade since I last watched it. Didn't think it would hold up over time, but surprisingly, it has. If you haven't seen this movie and are a fan of South Park, I'd definitely recommend this one to you.

8/10

DeraiLer

Wreck it Ralph. Pretty good flick. Lots of nice shout outs to old arcade games. 8/10

Chucky

Quote from: DeraiLer on February 09, 2013, 08:51:14 AM
Wreck it Ralph. Pretty good flick. Lots of nice shout outs to old arcade games. 8/10

Think my 8 year old daughter would enjoy it? She plays quite a lot of Sega games.