Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Joker (2019)

Started by Chucky, October 22, 2019, 01:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chucky

Joker is a stunningly impressive looking movie with great performances by Joaquin Phoenix and its supporting cast. While the deaths are few, there are surprising levels of violence in the film and it boasts a conclusion that will not soon be forgotten.

What did you think of it?

Super Slash Bro

I thought this was a bit overrated. I'm a huge fan of the character, and Phoenix was pretty damn great as the Joker but my issues don't stem from the acting performances.

I feel a Joker origin story done in THIS way is pointless. Bruce will grow up to be Batman, and when he does, Joker will be like 60-65 years old. The best incarnations of the Joker are when he can both torture Batman mentally and scrap with him physically. This Joker, even at this age, is relatively weak, and while I get he caused a riot, I see this as the character's ceiling. The only way they could salvage this for -me- is if they go the route of this origin story being a complete lie told by the Joker. The same way Ledger Joker kept lying about his scars, and the same way Joker has said in The Killing Joke, "if I' going to have a past, I prefer it be multiple choice!" but I don't see them thinking that far ahead since they have already casted a Joker for Robert Pattinson's Batman to square up with.

TL;DR, by the time Batman is old enough to be Batman, Joker will be too old to fight him, therefore it feels pointless to me. Before anyone brings up Nicholson's Joker, I had the same issue with his Joker. There were at least a handful of actors from back then I would've preferred were given a chance over Jack.

Joker 2019 feels like an incel remade The King of Comedy wearing some Joker-colored lenses. There was solid acting, beautiful shots, and a handful of memorable scenes but because I don't foresee a good payoff to the story, and because it doesn't feel all that original, I give it uhhhh

6.5/10