Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Official Pro-Wrestling Thread

Started by Dorkus, February 05, 2013, 01:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

Quote from: DrumrbaxJ on February 06, 2013, 12:16:33 AM
I still feel weird seeing CM Punk using straight edge as his gimmick.
Well, he is legitimately Straight Edge, so what's the big deal?

Crash Dummie

The nice thing is that he can work it both way.

As a face, he doesn't mind people drinking once in a while, but he doesn't do it and is a good role model. As good as a tattoo covered insomniac can be.

As a heel, he demonizes us for having a beer once in a while, and claims his absolute superiority.

He recently toned that downed however, and mainly focuses on how he's the best in the world, and that nobody but him deserves the glory.

L-Face

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 06, 2013, 12:30:40 AM
The nice thing is that he can work it both way.

As a face, he doesn't mind people drinking once in a while, but he doesn't do it and is a good role model. As good as a tattoo covered insomniac can be.

As a heel, he demonizes us for having a beer once in a while, and claims his absolute superiority.

He recently toned that downed however, and mainly focuses on how he's the best in the world, and that nobody but him deserves the glory.
After doing the whole "Straight Edge Society" thing, it'd be kind of hard to top that in terms of demonizing people. Dude nearly caused riots anywhere he went during that period.

Crash Dummie

It was a bit more 1 demensional than what hes doing now, but he still was the best heel in the company, with the best stable in years. Such a shame the SES didn't last.

L-Face

It may have been one dimensional, but that didn't stop the fact that people don't like being told how to live. Especially by a guy that looked like Charles Manson with a superiority complex.

Crash Dummie

It was hard not to see the Jesus/Manson overtones. I wish his "family" would have grown even bigger.

DrumrbaxJ

Straight Edge Society? What the fuck? It's no surprise people hate me wherever I go.

L-Face

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 06, 2013, 12:44:14 AM
It was hard not to see the Jesus/Manson overtones. I wish his "family" would have grown even bigger.

That would have been cool. It's kind of what they're doing with Bray Wyatt (formerly Husky Harris) in NXT. Who in my opinion, is one of the best things going in wrestling today. Dude's got the Max Cady from Cape Fear thing going on that Waylon Mercy had back in the day, but is doing it A LOT better. I wish NXT were on here in the states, because they've got one hell of a roster.

Quote from: DrumrbaxJ on February 06, 2013, 12:45:38 AM
Straight Edge Society? What the fuck? It's no surprise people hate me wherever I go.
Punk was basically a "faith" healer. He helped people that were addicted and "saved" them. Like the character Festus. Who prior to the Straight Edge Society thing was almost comatose until the bell rang. It was revealed he was on some sort of drug that left him in a vegetative like state. It was interesting stuff.

Punk pissed people off so much that an old lady at a live event grabbed him by the hand and said something along the lines of, "You're not God! You're the Devil and you're going to burn in hell!" Also getting the crowd so worked up, that they pelted him and anyone else in the ring with trash, batteries, etc. Got to the point where there was almost a riot every night.

Crash Dummie

Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 12:49:08 AM
That would have been cool. It's kind of what they're doing with Bray Wyatt (formerly Husky Harris) in NXT.
YES. I'm stoked about Bray moving up to the main roster. I thought he kicked ass as Husky Harris, and now, he's even better. He's like a fast Mick Foley... the guy is gonna be something huge.

Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 12:49:08 AM
Punk was basically a "faith" healer. He helped people that were addicted and "saved" them. Like the character Festus. Who prior to the Straight Edge Society thing was almost comatose until the bell rang. It was revealed he was on some sort of drug that left him in a vegetative like state. It was interesting stuff.

Punk pissed people off so much that an old lady at a live event grabbed him by the hand and said something along the lines of, "You're not God! You're the Devil and you're going to burn in hell!" Also getting the crowd so worked up, that they pelted him and anyone else in the ring with trash, batteries, etc. Got to the point where there was almost a riot every night.
I keep thinking that if Punk would have been around in the 50s, there WOULD have been riots and he would probably have been stabbed or shot at. He's that good.

L-Face

Punk has said that in conversations with people like Harley Race, they wish he had been around during their time as he would have fit in perfectly. Which I think is one of the highest compliments a wrestler can receive from a legend such as Race. It would have been extremely interesting to see how Punk would have acted with people such as Flair and the Horsemen, etc.

Crash Dummie

He would have been as good and as popular, if not more. Even his smaller, softer frame would have fit well back then.

Dorkus

I'm glad you guys like heel Punk. That other wrestling board I frequent really hated his heel turn, but I was glad to be away from Punk making ice cream bar jokes every week. He's a fantastic heel.

It's still weird as hell that he had a year long title reign, that's the kind of thing we used to joke about happening but knowing it wouldn't.

Crash Dummie

I liked him as a good guy too, but the title loss to Del Rio and a lack of compelling angles hurt his run a lot. Him turning bad again breathed life into his character again, and made me feel closer to the way I felt when he did the famous pipebomb promo.

I still think they missed out on the opportunity to make him the biggest star ever. They didn't full on stopped his push, but they didn't strike the iron like I wish they would have. But still, that was an overall amazing title run, and my nitpicks are minor.

L-Face

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 02:51:47 AM
I'm glad you guys like heel Punk. That other wrestling board I frequent really hated his heel turn, but I was glad to be away from Punk making ice cream bar jokes every week. He's a fantastic heel.

It's still weird as hell that he had a year long title reign, that's the kind of thing we used to joke about happening but knowing it wouldn't.
The one board I used to frequent hated his heel run because they said it felt tacked on and that he's trying way too hard. Doesn't come off like that to me. And despite him generally having legit grievances, I've been highly entertained by what he's been doing. I like Heel Punk a lot better than Face Punk.

Shadow

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 02:51:47 AMI'm glad you guys like heel Punk.
How can you NOT like him, regardless of him being heel or face? The guy can shit charisma, makes a sandwich out of it for you, and you will like it.

Also, The Rock is pretty much in the shitter for me. Too many times has he come back to WWE, saying he's here to stay for good this time, only to disappear literally the next show. I'm not a fan of Cena's character, but at least the fucker shows up on a consistent basis. Makes me think the only reason he came back was because they promised him the title, and another Mania spotlight.