Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Evil Dead Remake

Started by Reign in Blood, February 04, 2013, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

Quote from: Shadow on February 05, 2013, 03:43:43 AM
As someone who didn't particularly like the original (bring the hate), I'm looking forward to this one, actually. Since it  has a budget and seemingly decent actors this time, I think it'll have a chance.

And before someone comes at me with a knife, I do agree wholeheartedly that Bruce was the best thing to come out of the original.
Well, that and the tree rape.  [*deal*]

Crash Dummie

The original had its budget and amateur actors related flaws, but one thing I think has genuinely aged very well about it is the creepyniess of the posessed teens. When Ash is the only one still normal in the cabin and eveyone else is going apeshit still really gives an air of uneasiness.

Shadow

Quote from: L-Face on February 05, 2013, 03:45:13 AMWell, that and the tree rape.  [*deal*]
I was impressed by the concept, but not how it actually turned out. The tree rape scene in the remake (just based off of the trailer alone) is going to make the original tree want to throw itself in a wood chipper.

Reign in Blood

Quote from: L-Face on February 04, 2013, 08:16:55 PM
I was pretty iffy about this one until I actually saw the red band trailer. Looks pretty sick. Read that the director was shooting for an NC-17 Rating just so he knew he was going in the right direction. With some slight trims it's a Hard R bordering on the NC-17, so there's that. As for Hollywood capitalizing on the name? Well, it is produced by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell and Raimi hand picked the director to remake this. It at least has that going for it.

It actually being produced by Raimi is one of the things that had me reserved from the get-go. I haven't cared for most of the PG-13 shit flicks he has produced lately.

Jigsaw

Quote from: Reign in Blood on February 05, 2013, 05:06:43 AM
I was pretty iffy about this one until I actually saw the red band trailer. Looks pretty sick. Read that the director was shooting for an NC-17 Rating just so he knew he was going in the right direction. With some slight trims it's a Hard R bordering on the NC-17, so there's that. As for Hollywood capitalizing on the name? Well, it is produced by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell and Raimi hand picked the director to remake this. It at least has that going for it.

It actually being produced by Raimi is one of the things that had me reserved from the get-go. I haven't cared for most of the PG-13 shit flicks he has produced lately.

Indeed, Drag Me to Hell was absolutely horrendous (and I stand by this, even if I'm in the minority).

L-Face

Quote from: Reign in Blood on February 05, 2013, 05:06:43 AM

Considering Bruce Campbell has gone to bat for this hardcore, that put me at ease a bit. Especially since he's brutally honest about a lot of what he's done.

gorefan1428

I'm not a remake guy but must admit this looks like it could be good.

JasonzSon

I'm working on a review of this now.

Shadow

Quote from: Jigsaw on February 05, 2013, 05:15:49 AMIndeed, Drag Me to Hell was absolutely horrendous (and I stand by this, even if I'm in the minority).
It was shit.

In other news I should be seeing this movie on Tuesday. Here's hoping I enjoy it.

JasonzSon

My review of it is here.

Short version: start 30 minutes in.

Long version: First 30 minutes like a Rob Zombie film, last hour is pretty good, decently scary, great makeup, plenty of gore, surprising ending.

Longer version: Click the link, you lazy bastard.

Shadow

Well, I just finished watching it about a half hour ago. It was... different. Good in some ways... nearly all ways, I'd say, but fails in certain parts that most modern day horror movies fail in.

As far as the plot goes, it was pretty solid. The acting was pretty good... certainly ran circles around the original. However, my biggest thing with it was that it had far too many jump scares and clichés. Overall I would say it did good, as far as remakes go.

Chucky

I really don't understand why people hate on jump scares just because they're "jump scares". No avant-garde shit h'yar.

Sure, if a movie is riddled with them and they're all poorly ineffective, then I can understand. It seems to be one of those complaints that are piggy-backing off the whole remake hate, it's just a default reaction now. It has jump scares? LAME!! (sarcasm [*hibaby*]) I'd still rather watch an entertaining remake than an original idea that is poorly done.

JasonzSon

Both Woman in Black and Evil Dead are being accused of having a lot of jump scares, and I think they're both genuinely scary movies.

Shadow

Quote from: Chucky on April 12, 2013, 05:54:46 PMI really don't understand why people hate on jump scares just because they're "jump scares". No avant-garde shit h'yar.

Sure, if a movie is riddled with them and they're all poorly ineffective, then I can understand. It seems to be one of those complaints that are piggy-backing off the whole remake hate, it's just a default reaction now. It has jump scares? LAME!! (sarcasm [*hibaby*]) I'd still rather watch an entertaining remake than an original idea that is poorly done.
I don't mind jump scares at all, as long as they're done well and not overused. This one had a few good ones, in fact, but after a while I got tired of it.

As for Woman in Black... I've yet to see that one. I haven't really heard any bad things (not much at all, really), though, so I suppose that's a good thing.   

Crash Dummie

Woman in Black really had too many jump scares. You fully expect them after a while.

But it was okay, and it did have a really creepy atmosphere.