Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

What's the Last Horror Movie You Watched?

Started by L-Face, February 06, 2013, 12:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FanofAllHorror

Thanks for the welcome.

In any case, I just finished The Ghoul (1933). I liked the movie, and while I found it slightly boring at parts, it was overall a pretty good movie, I think. As always, I just loved the distinct comedy that only 30's and 40's movies have. I also liked all the actors and the people they portrayed, and there was even one completely unexpected plot twist at the end that, while foreshadowed, still caught me off-guard. However, also like a lot of older movies, it ended very abruptly, and that ruined it slightly for me. Still, overall I think it was a good movie, and I'd rate it a 7/10.

gorefan1428

Just finished watching the ward and must say without a doubt john carpenter is still the man.
This movie was great and gives me hope that every horror film being made now is not total crap. What makes a very good horror film for me is the tone and atmosphere that is set up early on and carries through the movie. As one might come to expect from a score used in a carpenter film, it was creepy and brilliant. The  location is also creepy and gives off the feeling like man i never wont's to end up in a place like that.

The ward is a movie that actually makes you think which i enjoy. The acting didn't have any stand out performances, but it didn't have any i would consider bad either. I found the kills to be interesting in that they sort of evolved as the film went on. At first they are sort of cut away make the viewer think about what is happening type kills then they evolve to the full on no detail left out kind.  Overall a great film, halloween or the thing it's not but, then again what is? The only things that hold the film back are an overuse of jump scares which are not that bad because they are used in the correct way and no stand out acting performances. 9/10

FanofAllHorror

Last one for the night/morning.

Just finished La tumba de los muertos vivientes [aka The Treasure of the Living Dead / Oasis of the Zombies] (1982), and wow. That movie had some of the worst editing I have ever seen in a movie. It was dreadful. As for the movie itself, it wasn't much better. I did like two of the main characters, the son of the guy who was killed in the beginning, and the guy with the glasses who was the first to die out of the main four, but besides them, I didn't really like anyone else. The plot had potential, and if the movie was remade with better editing, a better script, better actors, better score, I might actually like it. Plus, I saw a dubbed version, and I HATE dubbed movies. I'd read sub-titles and watch a movie in it's original language any day. Anyway, I'd give the movie a 3/10, as there were some parts I liked.

Jigsaw

Welcome, FanOfAllHorror, you seem an interesting person, and not bound by a specific genre or decade, like some horror fans are. Nice to make your acquaintance.

I last saw Der Student von Prag (1913):

It's the first full-length horror film ever made (making this year the 100th anniversary of horror movies), and I found it enjoyable. Plot-wise, it's about making a deal with the devil, and the outcomes that has. Very solid film, I thought, and found the last ten minutes or so rather thrilling. One thing that bothered me, however, was that while this is a German movie (Germany made the best silent horror films ever, and in fact was the first country who really had a grip on the horror genre), the print I watched has Italian inter-titles (though subtitled in English), which I found odd, and took about 15 minutes to fully get used to. Anyhow, it's the first horror film ever made, has a decently interesting plot, and it's German. Why wouldn't you want to watch it? 8/10.

JasonzSon

Silent Night (2012).  I would give this film a 5/10, but 5/10 for a film like this would still be walking away from an enjoyable time.  I ultimately feel like this film is slightly below that, due largely due to the ridiculous red and green filters that otherwise ruin a perfectly average conclusion to an average film that doesn't know what it wants to be.  4/10.

FanofAllHorror

Just finished watching Scream 3 (2000). Of course, I've seen it before, but that was years ago, and I didn't even remember who the killer was until it was revealed. I have to say that I just love the Scream movies. I didn't expect to really enjoy Scream 3, but it still had a good amount of wit, humor, and a meta-sense throughout the whole movie. Probably has something to do with the fact that Wes Craven was directing it. In so many horror film series, there're multiple directors. Seems rare to find a series by just one director. Anyway, I love all the characters from the film, and it was a fun romp, so I have to rate it 8/10.

L-Face

The Thing

Not the Carpenter one, the prequel. I heard it was bad and wanted to see just how bad. On a scale from 1 to 10 on the terrible scale, it's about an 8. This is one failed to capture the feeling of Carpenter's film. Whereas that had tension and kept me guessing what would happen next, this one was predictable from start to finish. They tried to throw red herrings out there, but the outcome was obvious each time. The only moment I thought was relatively interesting was the pre/mid credit scenes that was basically the opening to the Carpenter film. That's really the only positive thing I can say about the movie. The effects sucked, the acting and characters were meh. This movie is just one big ball of meh.

Thankfully the Carpenter classic is on demand. Think I'mma go watch that and try to purge this turd from my memory.

El Fwiso

Crash Dummie

Quote from: L-Face on April 19, 2013, 07:42:38 PM
The Thing

Not the Carpenter one, the prequel. I heard it was bad and wanted to see just how bad. On a scale from 1 to 10 on the terrible scale, it's about an 8. This is one failed to capture the feeling of Carpenter's film. Whereas that had tension and kept me guessing what would happen next, this one was predictable from start to finish. They tried to throw red herrings out there, but the outcome was obvious each time. The only moment I thought was relatively interesting was the pre/mid credit scenes that was basically the opening to the Carpenter film. That's really the only positive thing I can say about the movie. The effects sucked, the acting and characters were meh. This movie is just one big ball of meh.

Thankfully the Carpenter classic is on demand. Think I'mma go watch that and try to purge this turd from my memory.
I found it entertaining, and I liked how it was an actual prequel, but it doesn't have the soul it should have, and the scares don't work like they should.

Instead of being a cunning monster that keeps hiding, The Thing in this one just blowing its cover all the fucking time.

Crash Dummie

I'm very, very late for this, but I watched Hellraiser for the first time yesterday.

Holy shit, that movie's scary.

EDIT: And now I just watched The Cabin in The Woods. Damn, that was awesome. It was like Evil Dead meets Hellraiser meets Cube meets Hunger Games meets Dollhouse meets the Cthulhu Mythos.

Chucky

Cabin in the Woods was too overhyped to be enjoyed for me.

Crash Dummie

I wouldn't know. I had no interest in it before, so I didn't hype myself over it.

JasonzSon

Quote from: Crash Dummie on August 07, 2013, 11:38:47 PM
I'm very, very late for this, but I watched Hellraiser for the first time yesterday.

Holy shit, that movie's scary.

EDIT: And now I just watched The Cabin in The Woods. Damn, that was awesome. It was like Evil Dead meets Hellraiser meets Cube meets Hunger Games meets Dollhouse meets the Cthulhu Mythos.
Two awesome movies.  Clive Barker and Joss Whedon.  Also, two movies with Cenobites in them.  So, you know, win.