Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Movies I liked at first but now find Meh

Started by DeraiLer, March 09, 2013, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeraiLer

Remember seeing a movie and just finding it a delight? Then years later you go back and view it again and that magic just seemed to have faded? Maybe the last time you saw it you were having a good time? Getting a blow from a swedish hooker or stoned out of your gord and thought you were riding a flying pony instead of actually watching that movie you had playing on the telly.

Well post your freshly severed from film faves item here and tell us the details.

I shall start. Last night I sat down and put my pristine copy of 28 Weeks Later into the DVD player to enjoy great zombie mayhem (and don't start with the "they weren't zombies" shit, save that for another thread, only to find that this film I thought was a good work was actually pretty flawed and a challenge to sit through at times. What happened in the past few years that downgraded what I thought was a gem of a flick? The shoddy camera work, horrid editing and just execution of this story built up to a less than enjoyable viewing experience. Sure some scenes were cool but overall it just seemed arduous viewing. Scenes I thought were cool the first time around just felt less than this time around. Something tells me the issue is in the Directing. Danny Boyle should have helmed this and not passed it off to a hack.

Oh well, Back to the DVD shelf for you 28 weeks later. Maybe in 28 months from now you will seem like a masterpiece once again.

Doomed Knight

Blades

I really did enjoy those movies, but last month I watched them with a friend, and I somehow got bored.
I thought I lost my time watching it.

well maybe not the first one, but as for the others, I don't like them anymire. they weren't my favorite Action-Horror Vampire movies, but they were enjoyable... until recently.

DeraiLer

I might need to rewatch Blade 2 but I remember thinking it was the best of the set.

JasonzSon

I always liked the first one the most, except for the ending when the CGI started to get wacky.

I'm looking forward to the results of this topic.  I for one know that such examples exist for me, I just can't think of them.  I do know I tend to have films that I dislike on first watch, and find that I appreciate them more on repeated viewings.  Funny thing is, when I'm trying to remember some, I can't.

Shadow

I'm sure there are more that I'll think of later, but the first one that pops into my mind at the moment is Spaceballs.

Bring the hate.

Doomed Knight

gorefan1428

Quote from: Shadow on March 09, 2013, 03:08:19 PM
I'm sure there are more that I'll think of later, but the first one that pops into my mind at the moment is Spaceballs.

Bring the hate.

that's one i never cared much for in the first place.

i would have to say for me the first couple saw films  and the first two  final destination films

When they were first released they were new and fresh ideals that were great to watch, but after seeing  half a dozen unneeded sequels the originals upon further viewing seem to lose their luster. 

Shadow

OH! I have another one... you're all going to love this- From Dusk Til Dawn.

Honestly though, I'm not so sure that it's meh to me, as much as I think that might might just be overhyped.

JasonzSon

It might be overhyped.  I enjoy it plenty, but I wasn't blown away by it.

Shadow

Quote from: JasonzSon on March 11, 2013, 06:19:31 AMIt might be overhyped.  I enjoy it plenty, but I wasn't blown away by it.
Exactly. It's alright in my book, but eh... nothing spectacular in my opinion.

I think my problem with it is that it went from a kidnapping movie to vampires in literally the span of a few seconds, with no warning.

JasonzSon

I didn't mind that, but then, even without thinking it's one of the best movies of all time, I still think it's in Tarantino's league.

Midian Fiend

The cottage, at first I really loved it and wanted to buy it. Watched it second time around and just felt meh. I guess some movies seem really good if you're in the mood for it.

DeraiLer

Quote from: Shadow on March 11, 2013, 06:14:30 AM
From Dusk Til Dawn.

No, for me that one has remained just as entertaining with each viewing. Clooney is a despicable man but put in a scenario where you NEED that kind of person to stay alive.