Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Movies I liked at first but now find Meh

Started by DeraiLer, March 09, 2013, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

The Crow

I absolutely LOVED this movie as a kid. Then I saw it recently and I was numb. There were some great moments (I find Ernie Hudson to be the only likeable character in the movie and "There ain't no coming back" scene) other than that, the Crow fucking blows. It tries waaaay too hard to take itself serious despite the fact that just about everyone in it is chewing scenery. People thought this movie would have launched Brandon Lee into super stardom had he not died during the making of it, but after watching it again, he likely would have wound up in another crappy direct to video movie with Dolph Lundgren.

JasonzSon

The first time I watched Nightmare 5 and 6, I enjoyed them.  You know, that fannish, semi-childish way that you can watch a movie and like it as long as it has those one or two things you like (in this case, Freddy cutting people).  I don't think I need to elaborate on how I feel about them now.

The Batman sequels (Forever and Robin) are similar, except for the fact that they are what introduced me to Batman.  It's the equivalent of someone whose first slasher film was Bride of Chucky or Nightmare 5 and then years later they become familiar with the genre and look back at it.

Crash Dummie

I loved Batman and Robin when it came out, then I hated it, and now I'm pretty sure I love it again for all the wrong reasons.

JasonzSon

I should say I don't absolutely hate the Batman sequels, but it's a love/hate sort of thing.  I can absolutely love parts of them and can't stop shaking my head at other parts.

Chucky

I think it's quite natural to enjoy something as a kid and then find it meh or hate it when you're older... you have more tolerance for shitty movies when you're young and when you get old you hate everything and everyone.

L-Face

Quote from: Chucky on June 05, 2013, 09:00:07 AM
I think it's quite natural to enjoy something as a kid and then find it meh or hate it when you're older... you have more tolerance for shitty movies when you're young and when you get old you hate everything and everyone.
That's pretty much the case. Though, there are some exceptions. For example, I still love "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

Crash Dummie

I'll never get over how amazing that movie looks.

Dorkus

Quote from: Chucky on June 05, 2013, 09:00:07 AM

Not me, I suffer from rosey glasses pretty badly. If I liked it as a kid, I'll pretty much still like it today (IT is a big example).

Chucky

I'm not saying everything has that effect... I, of course still enjoy Child's Play, IT, Robocop etc. The vast majority of shit I liked as a child I still watch and enjoy BUT there are also plenty of other things that I thought was okay as a child and now wonder "WTF is this shit?" when I see it. It rarely ever has the opposite effect.