Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Silent Era Films

Started by JasonzSon, February 11, 2013, 06:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonzSon

This is posted in Horror because it's what I'm most concerned with, but please don't feel shy to use examples from outside of the genre.

I've seen to this point two films from the silent era, and both of them are German made.  These would be Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.  I enjoyed both of these, but I don't quite feel qualified yet to write about films in this era.

So, I'm turning to you guys.  Who knows about silent films?  It would be easy for me to say at this point that the Germans were the true kings of surreal and frightening films- but it wouldn't be honest because I've never watched a silent film that wasn't German.

So, take this opportunity to talk about your favorite silent films, and if you can comment from a wider perspective, that would be great, too.

MadMatt2185

Well I have watched more then my fair share of Silent films, while I have not yet seen Dr. Calgari (on my to do list) I have seen Nosferatu and Metropolis along with a number of other things. The germans really did pionear surreal feelings into movies both through odd makeup and very strange and sureal set designs.

Some of the best notes from me would be the above mentioned two, and quickly fallowed with Dante's Inferno. Each film being slightly older then the last and showing a wide veriaty of new ideas to make special effects.

Nosferatu was a huge landmark in both stop motion (when a cover on the ground covers up the Count's crate again) and on set special effects (see also when he walks though coffin sized doors, perfectly made for the actor, and also the shot or two when he rises up out of the coffin using a bar strapped to his back and hidden down one leg, making him rise from sleeping to a standing position, a trick that would not be used again for some time).

Next would be Metropolis, using both the first animated special effects when the robot is changed into Maria, and again when you see people running through the streets it is the first time a model was ever used in front of a camera, and the people were actually running in the back ground behind the camera, the people running the modle were actually a reflection of the real people. And the use of massive outdoor sets only added to huge scale of the film, something that would not be copied untill Univeral finally started to get money, and built sets on it's lot.

And finally Dante's Inferno. Taking both the animation ideas of Metropolis, and adding even more outlandish practicle effects (men being nothing more then heads or running torsos made possible by tricks used with black curtens) as well as quick cuts while not moving the camera making some more smei stop motion effects as well.

SmartgunnerDrake

Only one I've seen was nosferatu saw it on tv once, don't even recall what channel.

Would really like to learn more about the era as well. Seems a lot of the films didn't really survive time though

L-Face

Pretty much anything horror related that Lon Chaney Sr. was in was pretty good. At least, the stuff that was released to the public. Been ages since I've seen his stuff, but remember enjoying them. Particularly the Phantom of the Opera and the Hunchback of Notre Dame (not sure if Hunchback can really be considered horror.) I'm still hopeful that one day, someone will find London After Midnight in tact as that seems to be the holy grail of horror.

Crash Dummie

I've only seen Nosferatu, but it was great.

Well, if I cheat a little, I've seen two.

It was released in 2005, but it's very faithful to both Lovecraft, and the silent era.

Pastor

The Passion of Joan of Arc isn't really considered a horror movie, but watching Joan of Arc being tormented psychologically and the buttload of close-up shots of the court members was pretty terrifying for me. Not to mention that the film itself was figured lost for years until it was found in a mental institution.

DrumrbaxJ

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 13, 2013, 04:04:05 AM
I've only seen Nosferatu, but it was great.

Well, if I cheat a little, I've seen two.

It was released in 2005, but it's very faithful to both Lovecraft, and the silent era.

WHAT?! FUCK YES!

gorefan1428

ok i know way off topic but has anyone ever played the arkham horror games based on the lovecraft novels? 

DrumrbaxJ

Plan to get it eventually. But at $80, it's a bit fucking pricey.

Crash Dummie

Quote from: DrumrbaxJ on February 13, 2013, 06:58:29 PM

WHAT?! FUCK YES!
It's great. Black and white, silent, creepy. Everything it should be. The DVD is like 20 bucks. Even the receit is worth keeping; it's printed like an old confidential document, and they thank you personally on it.

DrumrbaxJ

Crash Dummie

From the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society of course.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/

Go to their bazaar (store), there's a lot of stuff, the DVD, and a few combos, with the poster and shit.

Quote from: gorefan1428 on February 13, 2013, 07:06:55 PM
ok i know way off topic but has anyone ever played the arkham horror games based on the lovecraft novels? 

I've got the latest edition of the Call of Cthulhu RPG, along with two Cthulhu NOW books (because the 90s are radical!).

I'm not much of a roleplayer, I bought it since I adore Lovecraft, but I played 2 games, and I really appreciate not only how creepy it is, but also how fun it is to play. The system is simple and streamlined, yet full of dept. It doesn't fuck around like other RPGs, and your characters are soft and squishy. If you fight, you usually die. It's an abusive munchkin's nightmare.

Shadow

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 13, 2013, 04:04:05 AMIt was released in 2005, but it's very faithful to both Lovecraft, and the silent era.
Holy crap I want to see it.

As for myself... I know I've seen a handful, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is also Nosferatu. Damn.

gorefan1428

Quote from: DrumrbaxJ on February 13, 2013, 07:41:32 PM
Plan to get it eventually. But at $80, it's a bit fucking pricey.

was about to suggest some i found on ebay but remembered you don't live in the states as i recall

JasonzSon

Ebay operates in any country that has a postal system.