Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Horror Movies You Like That Other People Hate

Started by JasonzSon, February 08, 2013, 07:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonzSon

Please don't confuse this with the guilty pleasure thread- this is more like the thread that seems to have become popular in Video Games.  What movie seems to have a bad rep, but you feel is a pretty good and enjoyable movie?

For me the archetypical example of this is Jason Goes to Hell.  Aside from a few oddities mostly surrounding Creighton Duke, I love the premise of this film.  It pays homage to the series ("Planning to smoke some dope, have premarital sex and get slaughtered?"), gives Jason the opportunity to do things he couldn't normally, and has some good kills as well.

Chucky

Wolf Creek... a movie many others think of as 'meh' or 'sucks'. I don't think it's unanimously hated, per se, but then again I don't think Jason Goes To Hell is either.

Crash Dummie

Jason goes to Hell is surprisingly decent, but it feels completely out of place in the series.

I also thought Land of the Dead was pretty good.

DeraiLer

Screw Jason goes to hell. Jason X was bloody fun. Kills. Action. cyborgs. takes place in Space! The series had never been accused of being serious horror since after the first 2 films so why this one gets more flack than the others is beyond me. Just do what it is supposed to do. Give us kills and slam bitches in bags into trees.

Crash Dummie

I didn't think people hated Jason X. It was really fun for what it was, and anyone taking it seriously should reconsider their outlook on the series. It hasn't been serious since Jason Lives.

Is it reviled, or did everyone think it was just ok?

Chucky

Jason X is awesome, in my opinion. I think there is a strong hate for it from one spectrum of fans (both Jason and general horror fans) but then there is also a group that does find it entertaining. As De eluded to, the body count in that movie is huge. The opening scene has like 8-10 guys getting killed in the span of like 20 seconds if I remember correctly, lol.

Crash Dummie

I only wish it would have been a little more gory, but it still was great fun.

And as much as I like it, the best part was probably that opening scene. Jason being lose in a governement bunker, killing left and right... they could have made the whole movie out of it!

EDIT: It's still gorier than part 7, which was RAPED by the censors.

Shadow

Quote from: DeraiLer on February 09, 2013, 01:05:37 AMScrew Jason goes to hell. Jason X was bloody fun. Kills. Action. cyborgs. takes place in Space! The series had never been accused of being serious horror since after the first 2 films so why this one gets more flack than the others is beyond me. Just do what it is supposed to do. Give us kills and slam bitches in bags into trees.
You know, I recently re-watched Jason X a little while back, and I had fun with it. There were plenty of moments where you could get a laugh, and the action scenes/kills were all pretty good. I got a kick towards the end where they upgrade the lady bot into a terminatrix. [*laugh*]

JasonzSon

My answer to people who dislike Jason X is that they either just don't get it, or they're clearly not fans.  Oftentimes they'll be the ones who say watch maybe the first 3 or 4, Part 6, and Freddy vs Jason, which is still cutting out a huge chunk of what made Jason what he is today.  If not for films similar to Jason X, Freddy vs Jason wouldn't have happened.

Crash Dummie

Freddy vs Jason is another one tha gets no respect from critics, yet I find it to be an awesome Monster Mash. It's funny, has nods to fans of both series, tons of gore and blood Tarantino-Style and the last fight is a sight to behold.

Movies like this were made by the ton in the 50s, and it was great to see a throwback to that era, with more modern monsters.

JasonzSon

It's not critically beloved, but when I see people our age recommending films, it's usually one of the first slashers I see mentioned.

DeraiLer

Reign in Blood

I've found that most the people that like Jason X also like TCM: The Next Generation.