Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

What did you all think of the conjuring?

Started by sh0nuff23, July 25, 2013, 12:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sh0nuff23

I have seen the conjuring twice already since its been out.  I have watched horror movies from all decades, countries, and of every type. From the year 1919-today.  From British horror, to French horror, to all over the world.  For me the best horror movie ever made is the original Halloween.  When I saw the conjuring it became my number 2 favorite ever.  The mood, the music, the atmosphere, the acting.  I really loved every second of that movie.  I have heard that some people said it was dumb, not scary, and boring.  The majority of those people are casual horror movie fans that just love to see buckets of blood.  Since I am amongst fellow horror enthusiast here, what did you all think?

JasonzSon

I'll be seeing this on Sunday.  I thought the lack of advertising hurt Pacific Rim, but at least I heard of that before it came out.  This, nothing.

L-Face

When I saw the commercials I was like, "Oh great, another parody movie." Then I was like, "wait.....this is actually supposed to be serious? Ok....." I won't be seeing it at all.

Chucky

I am hoping to see it soon, when I get some free time to go to the cinema. James Wan hasn't ever really made any bad movies that I've seen. Insidious, Death Sentence, the original SAW movie, Dead Silence etc... they've all been good or at least worth watching.

sh0nuff23

JasonzSon

Quote from: L-Face on July 25, 2013, 07:08:36 PM
When I saw the commercials I was like, "Oh great, another parody movie." Then I was like, "wait.....this is actually supposed to be serious? Ok....." I won't be seeing it at all.
From what I understand, it's Paranormal Activity for people who didn't like Paranormal Activity, and the best horror movie of 2013.

Dorkus

Quote from: JasonzSon on July 27, 2013, 01:36:58 PM
Quote from: L-Face on July 25, 2013, 07:08:36 PM
From what I understand, it's Paranormal Activity for people who didn't like Paranormal Activity

So everyone?

sh0nuff23

I loved paranormal activity. Sometimes less is more which is why I was creeped out by it. The conjuring is part paranormal activity, part sinister, and part insidious all rolled into one great package

L-Face

The problem with Paranormal Activity was, there was nothing. It was 90 minutes of chairs moving and ambient noises. Take that formula and repeat it for three more films, and that sums up the Paranormal Activity series perfectly. Someone once described Paranormal Activity as "the Where's Waldo of horror films" and that's another perfect analogy. Fucking terrible series of films.

sh0nuff23

I have to disagree.  I am a religious person so the thought of demonic possession and hauntings creep me out.  I also have a hard time saying a horror movie is terrible.  I agree some are worse than others but I can find the good in all of them. From exorcist all the way to Miner's Massacre lol

L-Face

To each their own, I suppose. "Haunting/Demonic Possession" movies don't do anything for me. Though, I guess this point in my life, with everything I've seen in horror films, nothing really does. There's really nothing a horror film can do to phase me anymore since it's all pretty much been done time and again. That's not to say I can't appreciate the films or the efforts they make (providing I'm not bored by what I'm watching, that is.)

sh0nuff23

Well don't get me wrong.. I feel as you do. Nothing scares me anymore. Just to give a little background I am 27 years old. I have a movie collection that has about 2000 horror titles from phanto of the opera in 1919 all the way to the movies of today.. We seem to be similar... If you haven't watched it yet. Check out the conjuring. It may not scare you but it's a very well put together horror film

JasonzSon

Reasons not to see this movie:
1. You cannot possibly view Christianity as a successful anti-demon force.
2. You cannot stand 30 minutes of build-up before anything exciting happens.
3. You hate The Exorcist for some reason.

That said, this film is brilliant.  The Hayes brothers do a great job of subverting a modern audiences expectations, and the directing style is somewhere between Insidious and The Exorcist.

sh0nuff23

Agreed! One of the best put together movies in a long time

L-Face

Quote from: JasonzSon on July 31, 2013, 03:26:42 PM
Reasons not to see this movie:
1. You cannot possibly view Christianity as a successful anti-demon force.
2. You cannot stand 30 minutes of build-up before anything exciting happens.
3. You hate The Exorcist for some reason.

That said, this film is brilliant.  The Hayes brothers do a great job of subverting a modern audiences expectations, and the directing style is somewhere between Insidious and The Exorcist.
The bolded areas are exactly why I likely won't be paying to see this movie. The first is a lesser reason. The other two are my major issues. I hate the Exorcist (gone over it many a time, so I'll move on.) Everyone and their brother is saying how "brilliant" this movie is. How great it is. It's got so much hype. So much so, that there's no possible way that it will live up to it for me and would only cause me to hate it.