Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Longest Film Series Off the Top

Started by JasonzSon, March 08, 2013, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonzSon

There was a request for a thread like this, but dozens of film series with over ten entries, so I wasn't sure how to make it work.  So how about this: no Googling for this thread.  You can look up information about a series you're discussing, but don't just pull information off a search for your post.  Wikipedia is a good enough database for this set of information, so I'm not going to be making any sort of article or goal for this thread.  Instead, come up with film series off the top of your head that are long that you'd like to compare or talk about.  Let's see if we can get a discussion going in lieu of a list.

So, as far as series that I follow, we've got-
Star Trek - 10 films in the first series (6 TOS, 1 crossover, 3 TNG), 1 film in the new series, with 1 in the oven.  I grew up on the first 5 films of this series, and they really defined what Science Fiction was for me growing up, along with...
Star Wars - Obviously the other 3 Sci-Fi films I watched in my childhood were from this series.  We have six numerical ordered films so far, along with three theatrical spin-offs (if you count Europe-only and animated releases at least) and a TV movie, with two spin-offs in the works.  Amazing how this is going from a game-changing trilogy to one of the largest film series in Sci-Fi.  Which I find especially ironic because I never considered Star Wars to be a film-centric franchise.
Dragon Ball Z - This is another series that I thought was long dead but has another theatrical film in the pipeline.  (I'm ignoring the live action counterparts).  This will be the 14th, not counting TV movies or Dragon Ball movies.  These films were a mainstay of my childhood as well- Toonami would play one of these every week.  And if we're talking about long-running animated series, let's go toward the flip side of the coin with a notable lack of face-punching...
Land Before Time - I've yet to meet anyone remotely near my age group that isn't at least remotely familiar with the decline of this franchise.  This has 13 films- but now that DBZ is passing them, maybe they'll try to catch up?

Yes, there is one more animated or partially animated film series with more films than either of these, and I believe they're all DTV.  I'm not mentioning them because I've never watched one.  That's right, there IS a limit to how much I will emasculate myself.

Doomed Knight

JasonzSon

Damn, you're right, I forgot there were so many.  Got damn, and it feels like it wasn't that long since the first came out.  They must have been coming out more often than once a year, right?

EDIT: I'm looking that up now. I'm seeing 16 released so far (two sharing the same number and similar plots), with only seven of them released in US theatres (which explains how it was so easy to lose track, as DTV films are rarely advertised well), not counting TV specials.  Two were released in 2009 in the US to close the gap between Japanese and US release years.

Doomed Knight

well, not really, it is one a year in fact.

1 movie per season. there's 16 seasons right now.

if I remember, the first season came out in 1997 or 98

and we're in 2013

so 15 to 16 years

but you're right, it feels like 5 years ago

oh and now I say 15 movies, but soon this year I will say 16, yes, a new will come out, and Mewtwo will be back!

EDIT: I didnt count the one with the same plots, Movie number 14, those 2 counts as 1
they just wanted to advertise the 2 new legendary Dragons, but not in the same movie.
it's pretty much the same shit in different pile.

Crash Dummie

15?!

That's it, let's close the topic.

JasonzSon

Quote from: Doomed Knight on March 08, 2013, 05:43:00 PM
well, not really, it is one a year in fact.

1 movie per season. there's 16 seasons right now.

if I remember, the first season came out in 1997 or 98

and we're in 2013

so 15 to 16 years

but you're right, it feels like 5 years ago

oh and now I say 15 movies, but soon this year I will say 16, yes, a new will come out, and Mewtwo will be back!

EDIT: I didnt count the one with the same plots, Movie number 14, those 2 counts as 1
they just wanted to advertise the 2 new legendary Dragons, but not in the same movie.
it's pretty much the same shit in different pile.
It was one a year in Japan.  For the dubbed release, 15 movies in 14 years, not counting the double feature.