Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Attack of the Sniffles

Started by Shadow, May 24, 2020, 12:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Been a few months since I posted a damn thing... I really ought to work on that. Seems like every time I get the opportunity to post at all I get sidetracked with other stuff and then it gets swept to the back of my mind.

So how's this lovely plague been affecting everyone? I suppose that's topical. [*deal*]

gorefan1428

Well not much at all to be honest

i have very little to do with people in general so keeping away and staying at home most of the time is my normal lol.
No one that i know or am ever around got sick
I got to keep working the whole time.
It kept me from going out to eat inside somewhere or going to hike in the parks for a few weeks that's about it, oh and have to wear those god forsaken mask at work now.

Chucky

Same here, I'm not someone who goes out a lot... the two main things I go out for that are considered "non-essential" (but they are to me) is going to the cinema and my basketball leagues being suspended. Currently working from home, work has been super busy.

At the beginning of the year, I did want to lose a ton of weight. I essentially set out to lose 59kg (130 lbs) this year, pretty tough goal to reach and this was also planned BEFORE the roni virus. So I'm about 20 weeks down (38% time elapsed) and I have currently lost 22.6kg (50 lbs) which is roughly 39% complete in terms of reaching my goal.

Considering all of the Rona stuff which made it more difficult to workout, I've managed to still somewhat keep on track and seems everyone else putting on weight.  [*hehehmm*]

Shadow

That is actually really close... looks like you're on the right track. Lucky for me I don't need to lose anything. [*azn*]

It sounds like I'm pretty much in the same boat as the two of you. I did tend to go out with my friends/co-workers semi-regularly... but that kind of got thrown out the window. It's getting to be about summer time anyway, so going outside to hike is meh. They had us working from home, but since the Governor lifted the orders they've been filtering us back in... which is a shame because I actually liked working from home.

Jigsaw

Given that I work in retail in a state that has no idea of to deal with COVID, in a country that has no idea how to deal with COVID, I'm just patiently waiting to catch this, bring it home, kill my family with, and since I don't have healthcare, just accept it as another death due to the country's failings.

I work with a lot of people who 1) don't understand that this is a serious thing, 2) think COVID is some type of conspiracy, 3) complain about wearing masks and social distancing and 4) think re-opening the economy is more important than people's lives.

As for impacting my personal life, I pretty much just wake up, go to work, come back home, repeat, so it's not truthfully impacted me at all, aside from the thought that I could easily bring this home and kill at-risk family with.

But hey, that's life in the USA. Isn't it the best country ever??????  [*laugh*]

gorefan1428

I know i probably have a different view than some on this topic but i just don't buy into all the fear hype.
I know in the U.S states and hospitals just gain to much money  by classifying every death as a "covid death" or even sicknesses  so many of the numbers here are probably way over blown.

I have no doubts that the virus is a real thing. worth shutting down the worlds economy and bringing many to financial ruin while the government  stretches the limits of its power?  I say no.   
From what iv read and gathered it doesn't  seem to be worse than  the common flu strands that go around every year.

Are some people more susceptible than others,probably.
But its mainly those that are just more susceptible in general.

I work around a lot of people and have a close group of people i actually care about and there are times when i actually go out.
The thing that gets me in my area, No one i'm seeing  or hearing about from others  is sick much less has anyone been proven to have this virus.
I'm just the type that believes whats in front of me not what i'm hearing.

Shadow

I'm pretty much on the same boat as you... I think there are too many people on either side in politics and media that have drummed up people into thinking that we need to shut down forever until there is a cure (what happened to just "flattening the curve"? Goalposts, much), or we need to just open the floodgates (did it just stop being super contagious all of a sudden? Tards). Doing either is both stupid and irresponsible.

Considering that I have asthma I have a vested interest in not catching this thing... and I've been following the numbers and scientific articles (not sensational news) pretty closely- straight from the CDC and others. Basically unless you are both old and have some sort of semi-serious pre-condition you will be fine, if you even get it at all... and if you do the odds are likely you won't ever realize you had it. Mind you, this is with inflated numbers that pretty much everyone has admitted to having.

It doesn't mean there aren't outliers- there always are with anything- but I think pretty much everyone everywhere has handled this horribly. Chickens with their heads cut off and every person in charge of anything at all looking to get overreactive so it looks like they "did something". I myself have kind of favored the idea of this "Swedish model" that people have talked about... except I wanted to see it from the beginning. Problem is that (especially here in the US) you can't necessarily apply that everywhere... particularly the larger areas.

Chucky

What is the Swedish model? I'm guessing it's something like...

Shadow

People that are "vulnerable" stay the hell home and be careful. People that aren't live about your lives, but do so in a non-retarded manner (something we should pretty much always do before, during, and after this to be honest).

Simple idea, really. Take a little personal responsibility for your life instead of relying on others... who'd of thought.

Chucky

I haven't personally researched this enough to make an emphatic comment about it, but doesn't Sweden currently have the highest (or one of the highest) death rate right now?

Dorkus

These posts are not two metres apart.  [*angry*]

gorefan1428

Jigsaw

He's British, so he doesn't do as us Americans do and measure by feet. :P

Chucky

Still waiting for the US to realise they fucked up and start using the metric system.  [*tsktsk*]

Jigsaw