Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Evil Dead Remake

Started by Reign in Blood, February 04, 2013, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonzSon

I didn't see it as expecting something - of course you expect something surprising in a haunted house.  But what it is, and how the hell to escape it, are the surprises and the source of the terror.

Crash Dummie

It didn't help that I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was watching Harry Potter.

JasonzSon

That would do it.

More on topic, looking over my old Evil Dead review, I had an epiphany: take the first half of the Raimi movie and the second half of this movie and you'd have my ideal Evil Dead.

Shadow

Quote from: Crash Dummie on April 14, 2013, 11:31:00 AM
It didn't help that I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was watching Harry Potter.
I had always figured that this would be the curse of those three... they got so popular off of one specific series and they're going to be stuck living with it for the rest of their lives whether they like it or not.

Quote from: JasonzSon on April 14, 2013, 12:15:45 PM
That would do it.

More on topic, looking over my old Evil Dead review, I had an epiphany: take the first half of the Raimi movie and the second half of this movie and you'd have my ideal Evil Dead.
Spoilers: Ash getting a sex change? [*browwink*]

JasonzSon

QuoteI had always figured that this would be the curse of those three... they got so popular off of one specific series and they're going to be stuck living with it for the rest of their lives whether they like it or not.
One of them will get a career voice acting a popular villain, the other will become the highest paid actor alive, and the other will fade into obscurity.

Dorkus

Quote from: Chucky on April 12, 2013, 05:54:46 PM
I really don't understand why people hate on jump scares just because they're "jump scares". No avant-garde shit h'yar.

Sure, if a movie is riddled with them and they're all poorly ineffective, then I can understand. It seems to be one of those complaints that are piggy-backing off the whole remake hate, it's just a default reaction now. It has jump scares? LAME!! (sarcasm [*hibaby*]) I'd still rather watch an entertaining remake than an original idea that is poorly done.

For me, it's the lack of effort behind them.

I could sneak up behind you and fire a gun, you'd be scared but only because I was a jackass making a loud noise. There's nothing psychological about it, you soon get over it, it doesn't stick with you at all.

There are some jump scares that are iconic, but more because of the imagery than the fact that there was a loud noise. The severed head scene in Jaws, for example.

The NOES remake is a key example of a movie that has no idea what the fuck it's doing so just becomes the equavialent of some jackass yelling "boo" every 5 minutes.

DeraiLer

This movie took awhile to get going but once it did we got hit with one holy fuck moment after another. Also, the lack of CGI made for some realistic gore which was very well done. The scene after the credits though didn't give me anything much to anticipate though. It was a letdown.

Shadow

Quote from: DeraiLer on April 25, 2013, 08:17:48 AMThe scene after the credits though didn't give me anything much to anticipate though. It was a letdown.
Yep. It gave me kind of a chuckle for the same reason.

JasonzSon

Once I heard what it was, I didn't feel bad about missing it.

L-Face

Finally got around to seeing this. Thought it was pretty good. Not great, but still enjoyable. The beginning is a little slow, but does a decent job of setting things up before the shit hits the fan. I've heard complaints about the characters being bland/not memorable, but I actually thought that was a pretty good change of pace from the cliches that usually follow the horror genre. As for the end credits scene, I marked out. Not going to lie. It was short, but so over the top that it's awesome.

Overall, I'd like to say this is one of the better remakes. Though, I'll hold off on saying that until I see it a few more times to see if it holds up.

Crash Dummie

I loved it. It worked as a remake, and as a sequel of sorts. It could very well be the same cabin, 30 years later.

Though I would have to wonder why the chainsaw found its way back there, but maybe it's a different one.

I don't know if it's me getting softer or if the movie was really disgusting, but I felt a little queasy after some of the gory parts. The ending sequence was fucking awesome.

JasonzSon

Some of the gore bits were particularly realistic, and the exact sort of stuff that's likely to get me squeamish.

L-Face

Maybe I've been desensitized, but the gore really didn't get to me at all.

Crash Dummie

Light spoilers ahead:

The bits where the dude takes the needle out of his eye-socket, and later on the huge ass mirror shard out of his shoulder were when started feeling uneasy.

Then the girl's arm falling off the one string string of flesh holding it was when I was definitely not feeling all that good.

I don't know. I drank a lot of sangria before going to the movie, and I've been watching a youtube channel called "embarassing illnesses", where British doctors frequently show and treat disgusting stuff. I guess it all got mixed together in me at that moment.

JasonzSon

Those of you who've seen this, want to put in a rating and I'll do a Movie Club style tally?

I'm thinking 7.5.  The characters and the opening drag it down too much to give it an 8 in good faith.