Evil Dead Remake

Started by Reign in Blood, February 04, 2013, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

Quote from: Jigsaw on February 05, 2013, 01:09:03 AM
Quote from: JasonzSon on February 05, 2013, 01:06:39 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw on February 05, 2013, 01:03:28 AM
What are your qualms with it, Jasonz?
Enough remakes that it can't get my attention for that.
Evil Dead is not something that I found entertaining outside of the horror aspect (in other words, the humor side did virtually nothing for me).
Does the trailer look like an Evil Dead movie or a Platinum Dunes movie?

I'm sure I hate remakes more than you, but aside from that, I can see your point.

And to address your question, I'm not sure, as off the top of my head, I can't recite other movies done by Platinum Dunes.
If it's a remake of a New Line film, then it's likely a Platinum Dunes film.

Jigsaw

Quote from: L-Face on February 05, 2013, 01:10:58 AM
Evil Dead is not something that I found entertaining outside of the horror aspect (in other words, the humor side did virtually nothing for me).

I'm sure I hate remakes more than you, but aside from that, I can see your point.

And to address your question, I'm not sure, as off the top of my head, I can't recite other movies done by Platinum Dunes.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), then?

God, talk about bad films...

L-Face

Quote from: Jigsaw on February 05, 2013, 01:12:07 AM
Quote from: L-Face on February 05, 2013, 01:10:58 AM

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), then?

God, talk about bad films...
I wanted to hate the Elm Street remake, but couldn't. That's not saying it's a good film by any stretch of the imagination. But it's not really terrible either. It's just......there.

Jigsaw

True, it's not atrocious. Just extremely bland.

JasonzSon

If you hate remakes, odds are they get your attention and you watch them in order to hate them.  Personally, last remake I've watched from the past decade was Halloween.

L-Face

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 05, 2013, 01:14:19 AM
If you hate remakes, odds are they get your attention and you watch them in order to hate them.  Personally, last remake I've watched from the past decade was Halloween.
Thing with this Evil Dead remake is, it actually looks enjoyable.

Jigsaw

Not always true, though I admit, in some cases, I know pretty well I won't enjoy them (case in point: My Bloody Valentine remake).

The Friday the 13th remake was pretty decent (not amazing, but okay), though. Of course, it didn't really feel like a remake, so that's probably why.

L-Face

Quote from: Jigsaw on February 05, 2013, 01:17:09 AM
The Friday the 13th remake was pretty decent (not amazing, but okay), though. Of course, it didn't really feel like a remake, so that's probably why.
Didn't really feel like a Friday the 13th film either.

Jigsaw

Quote from: L-Face on February 05, 2013, 01:18:18 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw on February 05, 2013, 01:17:09 AM
Didn't really feel like a Friday the 13th film either.

What were your main issues with it?

I have my qualms, of course, but overall, I found it passable.

L-Face

Same issues I had with the Elm Street remake. Wasn't good, wasn't bad. It exists, but is ultimately forgettable. It didn't do anything to make itself stand out, which works against it. It could have easily had a different title and it would have been your run of the mill slasher flick.

Crash Dummie

The only really good part about it was when Nancy(?) was slipping in and out of sleep in what I think was a grocery store alley. The CGI was justified and well done, unlike the part where Freddy comes out the bedroom's wall, where it looked better 30 years ago when they did it with a BLANKET.

I liked the Friday remake better. It was probably just as bland and forgetable, but the Friday films have such a low standard that it looked better in comparison. Lots of missed opportunities for the kills however. There was one part in a garage where they teased a lot of weapons (even hockey stick I think), and none of them where I used. I forgot how the guy died.

Jigsaw

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 05, 2013, 01:25:17 AM
There was one part in a garage where they teased a lot of weapons (even hockey stick I think), and none of them where I used. I forgot how the guy died.

The makers of the film would probably argue it just adds suspense.

Crash Dummie

They would, and it DID add suspense, but the payoff sucked.

DrumrbaxJ

Wasn't it the wood chipper?

And I have actually thoroughly enjoyed the remakes. Though I did lol with Jensen Ackles/Dean being in the Bloody Valentine remake and Jared Padalecki/Sam being in the Friday remake. Poor bastards have been typecast something chronic.

Shadow

As someone who didn't particularly like the original (bring the hate), I'm looking forward to this one, actually. Since it  has a budget and seemingly decent actors this time, I think it'll have a chance.

And before someone comes at me with a knife, I do agree wholeheartedly that Bruce was the best thing to come out of the original.