Evil Dead Remake

Started by Reign in Blood, February 04, 2013, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reign in Blood

Rating so far: 7.333 (3 votes so far)
                                            ~~added by JasonzSon~~

What do you think?

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvDLWlxxcak

As much as I hate the idea of Hollywood capitalizing on a name, and they should just take this approach with at least a semi-original idea, I think it's shaping up to look pretty bad ass. It won't live up to the original series, but further confirmation from the director that he's using practical effects and less CGI as possible etc. leaves me hopeful that this can at least rock, if not have the roll.

Chucky

Yeah, I agree... it's shaping up to be no holds-barred and still looks to have a lot of the goofy moments without being overly silly about it. It is JUST a trailer but definitely looks like a good step in the right direction.

L-Face

I was pretty iffy about this one until I actually saw the red band trailer. Looks pretty sick. Read that the director was shooting for an NC-17 Rating just so he knew he was going in the right direction. With some slight trims it's a Hard R bordering on the NC-17, so there's that. As for Hollywood capitalizing on the name? Well, it is produced by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell and Raimi hand picked the director to remake this. It at least has that going for it.

Jigsaw

I admit, I'm pretty hard-nosed against remakes, but also I never really loved The Evil Dead (haven't seen it in a long while, though).

That said, after seeing a trailer, I was rather impressed. Of course, I won't be seeing this in theaters, but I don't think I'll go on an anti-horror movie remake tirade if I happen to see it someday.

Crash Dummie

I'm stoked about this one. Especially if it's a pseudo sequel. There's nothing that would prevent another group of fucktards to go in the cabin and wake up the demons again.

If it's anything like the trailer promises, we're in for a fun ride.

L-Face

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 04, 2013, 11:43:23 PM
I'm stoked about this one. Especially if it's a pseudo sequel. There's nothing that would prevent another group of fucktards to go in the cabin and wake up the demons again.

If it's anything like the trailer promises, we're in for a fun ride.
Definitely. Though, I don't know about it being a pseudo sequel. I think the car is just a nod to Raimi more than anything. Mostly because at the end of Evil Dead 2 *Spoilers* the car ends up with Ash when he travels back in time.

Crash Dummie

Evil Dead 2 was a sequel/condensed remake. The continuity is loose enough already that I think it might just work if they take a similar approach, only 30-something years later.

As for the car, yeah, it's just a nod. Is there a single Raimi film where we don't see the Oldsmobile and Campbell?

L-Face

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 04, 2013, 11:48:38 PM
Evil Dead 2 was a sequel/condensed remake. The continuity is loose enough already that I think it might just work if they take a similar approach, only 30-something years later.

As for the car, yeah, it's just a nod. Is there a single Raimi film where we don't see the Oldsmobile and Campbell?
Actually, 2 is a sequel. The reason for the beginning was because at the time, Raimi couldn't get the rights to use footage from the first Evil Dead. Been watching some Q&A panels with Bruce Campbell and he explained why the opening to 2 was the way it was.

Not that I'm against this being a pseudo sequel of sorts, think that'd be an interesting twist of sorts.

JasonzSon

I think it would take some effort to get me to care about this movie.

L-Face

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 05, 2013, 01:02:05 AM
I think it would take some effort to get me to care about this movie.
Isn't that the case for just about any movie ever?  [*odd*]

Jigsaw

What are your qualms with it, Jasonz?

JasonzSon

Quote from: Jigsaw on February 05, 2013, 01:03:28 AM
Enough remakes that it can't get my attention for that.
Evil Dead is not something that I found entertaining outside of the horror aspect (in other words, the humor side did virtually nothing for me).
Does the trailer look like an Evil Dead movie or a Platinum Dunes movie?

L-Face

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 05, 2013, 01:06:39 AM
Evil Dead is not something that I found entertaining outside of the horror aspect (in other words, the humor side did virtually nothing for me).
Looks like an Evil Dead movie to me.

JasonzSon

Then it might have some hope.  Most remakes haven't gotten that part down yet.

Jigsaw

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 05, 2013, 01:06:39 AM

I'm sure I hate remakes more than you, but aside from that, I can see your point.

And to address your question, I'm not sure, as off the top of my head, I can't recite other movies done by Platinum Dunes.