Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Favorite Horror Sub-Genre

Started by JasonzSon, February 24, 2013, 05:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonzSon

What Sub-genres of horror do you most enjoy watching?

I most go out of my way for slashers (preferably 80s), kaiju, and uh... is "awesome 80s horror" a genre?  The Fly, The Thing, etc.  I'm also a sucker for vampire films that I expect to actually be good (Nosferatu, Dracula, Fright Night, etc.).

L-Face

Gotta go with the Slasher genre. Most times, even the terrible ones have moments that make you go, "Ok, that was pretty cool." If you're a gore hound, kinda hard to hate them.

Doomed Knight

I'd say Zombie genre.

I like movies when you know people are fucked, and sometimes I like when a movie does not end well.

Dorkus

I'm not even sure I have one, so I'll say body horror with a dash of comedy.

Shadow

I like horror comedies myself, also.

Crash Dummie

Jeez. I watch Slashers the most, but I don't know if I have a favorite genre.

Chucky

Yep, probably slashers for me too. Mainly because they can work, even if the plot is weak as piss.

JasonzSon

Quote from: Chucky on February 26, 2013, 02:06:21 AM
they can work, even if the plot is weak as piss.
That's a good point. A slasher film is one of the few things where bad writing is not enough to make me complain about it.

Chucky

And in quite a lot of cases, it can even work to its advantage.  [*browwink*]

Pastor

Horror comedies and body horror, definitely. I'm kind of partial to anthologies as well.

Midian Fiend

Supernatural; vampires, werewolves, zombies, lovecraft, witches/warlocks, demons etc.

Jigsaw

I used to be a 100% slasher guy. Slashers are still my favorite sub-genre, but I've had a growing appreciation to previously ignored sub-genres, such as giallo (which is, admittedly, closely related to slashers), ghost movies (films such as The Others and Session 9 really opened my eyes to them), and even zombie movies (I used to feel they were all just repetitive tripe, and sure, some are, but there are some great ones out there).

I will say, I do feel personally offended when I finish a slasher and end up disliking it. I generally expect to enjoy 85% of the slashers I set to watch, so when I come out the other end, I come sometimes judge them a bit harsher than I would have other movies.