Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Horror Movie Checklist 2019

Started by Jigsaw, March 01, 2019, 06:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

This has been an on-and-off Fight Evil thread since at least 2006 (http://www.fight-evil.com/forum/index.php?topic=3186.0), and I always thought it was a cool idea, and a good way to motivate each of us to watch some movies we've wanted to see but just haven't gotten to for one reason or another.

Quoting Dorkus here, "For those who didn't see the old threads, you basically make a checklist of horror movies you have never seen, along with a mini-review and score. I found it a good way to motivate me to rack up more horrors.

You can make the checklist as long as you want it to be, but I'm going with the same 5 movies per checklist rule as last time."

Ideally, if you stick with just five films, you can get this done easily by the end of the year, and I think it's a great idea to try and revive it.

An Eye for an Eye (1973) [Pretty much what I expected. Fully drenched in 70's atmosphere, the kills here are a bit weak, but it's a somber movie which has a decent story to it.] [6/10] [Watched 12/15/19]

The Green Inferno (2013) [Surprised me - decently gory and rather disturbing, Eli Roth did pretty well here, and while certainly not perfect, I don't fully understand the mediocre response to this.] [7.5/10] [Watched 3/10/19]

Lord of Illusions (1995) [This wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I guess I was expecting something more in the vein of The Wizard of Gore, but this is something entirely different. Story's not terrible, but overall, the movie didn't do too much for me.] [6/10] [Watched 3/25/19]

Kristy (2014) [I rather enjoyed the vibe of this one. Great feeling of solitude, solid, satisfactory scenes at the end, and while I didn't love every plot point concerning the antagonists, I generally really liked this film.] [8.5/10] [Watched 4/24/19]

The Brain (1988) [I enjoyed this one more than I expected. It's not an amazing film, but it occasionally has a very welcomed trippy feel to it, and generally, I think it's a decently fun romp. Not overly goofy or silly either, which is a big plus] [7.5/10] [Watched 5/08/19]

Jigsaw

The Green Inferno (2013) [Surprised me - decently gory and rather disturbing, Eli Roth did pretty well here, and while certainly not perfect, I don't fully understand the mediocre response to this.] [7.5/10] [Watched 3/10/19]

Chucky

It's not bad, has a decent 'holy shit' moment at the end.

I need to try to think of what I can put up on a list... I know there's some decent movies, even fairly popular ones that I never bothered with over the decades, I just can't think of what they are.

Jigsaw

You're not wrong, it is hard to narrow it down.

On IMDb, I have a 'want-to-see' list of 619 individual titles. Out of those, I just randomly picked five, which gave me the list I made (which is why it probably looks really random). Some movies, like The Green Inferno and Lord of Illusions, I've been really interested in. Others, like Kristy and The Brain, it's more a mild curiosity. I think the variety sort of makes it feel more tenable.

Just go with your heart. [*thumbsup*]

Chucky

Ok, so I just got reminded of one so far:

House (aka Hausu) (1977)
Nightbreed (1990)
When a Stranger Calls (1979)
The Good Son (1993)

Jigsaw

Not sure how Asian horror is for you, but I personally loved Hausu. Was such a fun and wild, unforgettable ride. Quite interested in seeing that one again when I get to it.

Solid choice. [*thumbsup*]

Chucky

Added Nightbreed because, well... I've never watched it in its entirety. I've seen a lot of bits and pieces from it... to the point where it deterred me from ever watching the whole thing because I had already seen so much. And since there is a new 3hr cut of it coming out, I guess this year is a better time than any to do that.

Jigsaw

So, I saw Nightbreed once, and I liked it, but I'll warn you (and you probably already know this since you've seen quite a bit of it) that it has a strong fantasy feel. As much as I liked it, though, I can't honestly say I'd want to sit through a three-hour cut.

Chucky

Another one that I've seen bits and pieces of but just never somehow got around to watch is When a Stranger Calls (1979). So I've added that to the list.

Jigsaw

It took a little, but I appreciate the feel of that one. Very much a crime movie for a lot of it, and I've grown to like that.

Lord of Illusions (1995) [This wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I guess I was expecting something more in the vein of The Wizard of Gore, but this is something entirely different. Story's not terrible, but overall, the movie didn't do too much for me.] [6/10] [Watched 3/25/19]

Jigsaw

Kristy (2014) [I rather enjoyed the vibe of this one. Great feeling of solitude, solid, satisfactory scenes at the end, and while I didn't love every plot point concerning the antagonists, I generally really liked this film.] [8.5/10] [Watched 4/24/19]

Jigsaw

The Brain (1988) [I enjoyed this one more than I expected. It's not an amazing film, but it occasionally has a very welcomed trippy feel to it, and generally, I think it's a decently fun romp. Not overly goofy or silly either, which is a big plus] [7.5/10] [Watched 5/08/19]

Jigsaw

An Eye for an Eye (1973) [Pretty much what I expected. Fully drenched in 70's atmosphere, the kills here are a bit weak, but it's a somber movie which has a decent story to it.] [6/10] [Watched 12/15/19]

Finished my watchlist. Just in time, to.  [*laugh*]

Chucky

Welp, I managed to at least get one done...  [*uhoh*]

gorefan1428

ahh remember this one of my favorite threads  [*deal*] [*deal*]

and might i add this is going to be so much easier to pull off with the advent of streaming services such as shudder netflix ect

for my five

1. slumber party massacre

2. the last showing

I had sort of high hopes going into this one and had been wanting to watch it for a while being it stars horror legend Robert Englund.

First the good points
Robert was brilliant as usual  and gave the sole shining performance  of the film.
His theater projectionist character was creepy , believable and menacing.
The concept of the film was interesting and something different.
As far as good points thats it.

Now the bad
The other characters in the film were  dull, poorly acted, and  didn't bring much to the table.
I just couldn't make my self care what happened to them and could wait for Roberts character to get back on screen.
Pacing was gruelingly slow and there just wasn't a lot going on. Death count was low and far between was more of a build up film but the build up just didn't work.
The plot also didn't make sense as it went along. As enjoyable as Robert is to watch he just couldn't carry this stinker alone.

Overall a very passable let down of a film with a few bright spots
2.5 out of 10     

2 for Robert and a half for the interesting premise.

3.bloody birthday

4.  Tenebrae

5.  deathgasm