Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Horror Movies You Hate That Other People Like

Started by Pastor, February 13, 2013, 03:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pastor

Aside from the makeup effects, I think Hellraiser is kind of shit.

I also don't really care for the original Evil Dead, but I do respect it for inspiring Peter Jackson to make Braindead/Dead Alive.

As for more recent films, it boggles my mind that a lot of people liked The Loved Ones.

Crash Dummie

The Blair Witch Project and The Ring. Fuck these boring pieces of shit. Interesting concepts that didn't do anything for me.

Dorkus

JasonzSon

I've seen movies that I thought were just "ok" that other people loved, but that's about it that I can think of.  Unless you're counting things like "a large group like it and a large group hate it" things like Twilight.

Chucky

I don't think I can use the word "hate" but I thought Attack The Block was extremely disappointing based on how much it was praised throughout its release. A lot of people giving it 9 and 10 out of 10... I struggle to give it a 6.

DrumrbaxJ

I loved the film, but it was certainly no 9 or 10...

Chucky

And maybe that's why I'm compelled to give it a 6, perhaps to somewhat even out the score...

[*browwink*]

JasonzSon

That's kind of how I feel about the whole Evil Dead trilogy.

Pastor

Quote from: Chucky on February 13, 2013, 05:06:02 PM
I don't think I can use the word "hate" but I thought Attack The Block was extremely disappointing based on how much it was praised throughout its release. A lot of people giving it 9 and 10 out of 10... I struggle to give it a 6.

Attack the Block was my second-favorite movie from 2011, so maybe I should just shove myself up my own ass.

L-Face

The Exorcist. Ok, hate is a strong word for this one. Let's just say, I was underwhelmed by this movie. With 27 years of hype (I saw it in 2000) and statements like, "It's the scariest movie of all time." it ultimately failed to reach that level for me. I actually found myself getting annoyed for not being scared. There was one moment, a moment that was cut from the original film, that came close to scaring me. The spider walk scene. That was it.

JasonzSon

Nothing from the head-turning scene, then?  I imagine that parodies have ruined a lot of classic films for newcomers.

Chucky

The spiderwalk scene is badass, shame they couldn't have it in the original cut (due to limitation with effects at the time, couldn't remove the wires used to do the scene) because it would have added to all the stories from some of my friends parents who said when they saw it people were literally running out of the theatre screaming, throwing up etc. In fact, seeing the spiderwalk scene during the movie, when you're not expecting it, is not only a bit of a jump scare but for me, personally, it also put this major depression on me because it seemed there was no hope saving this girl at that point in the movie.

While it has aged a little, and the 'scariest movie of all-time' moniker (which does hold truth to many people out there) is more or less a marketing strategy to sell movies, it is definitely a great horror movie which I tend to appreciate the more and more I watch it.

L-Face

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 14, 2013, 01:08:15 AM
Nothing from the head-turning scene, then?  I imagine that parodies have ruined a lot of classic films for newcomers.

The only parody I'd seen prior to watching the Exorcist (at least, that I can remember right now) was Repossessed with Leslie Nielsen. Even then, I was too young to remember it vividly. But no, nothing in that film really did anything for me. It simply had no lasting impact for me and was a "one and done" movie.

Quote from: Chucky on February 14, 2013, 01:11:41 AM
The spiderwalk scene is badass, shame they couldn't have it in the original cut (due to limitation with effects at the time, couldn't remove the wires used to do the scene) because it would have added to all the stories from some of my friends parents who said when they saw it people were literally running out of the theatre screaming, throwing up etc. In fact, seeing the spiderwalk scene during the movie, when you're not expecting it, is not only a bit of a jump scare but for me, personally, it also put this major depression on me because it seemed there was no hope saving this girl at that point in the movie.

While it has aged a little, and the 'scariest movie of all-time' moniker (which does hold truth to many people out there) is more or less a marketing strategy to sell movies, it is definitely a great horror movie which I tend to appreciate the more and more I watch it.
I guess it differs from person to person, really. I can understand the impact it had on others, especially when it was initially released. The 70s were a different time. But for me personally, it left me indifferent. No real feelings towards it other than disappointment.

DeraiLer

Quote from: Pastor on February 14, 2013, 12:28:31 AM

Attack the Block was my second-favorite movie from 2011, so maybe I should just shove myself up my own ass.

Nah, I liked it as well.

Shadow

Quote from: Pastor on February 13, 2013, 03:21:43 AM
Aside from the makeup effects, I think Hellraiser is kind of shit.

I also don't really care for the original Evil Dead, but I do respect it for inspiring Peter Jackson to make Braindead/Dead Alive.
I feel the same way a bout these two.

Same with American Werewolf in London. Aside from the transformation sequence which everyone jizzes over (understandably so)... I don't care for it in the slightest.

Also, just about every J-horror/Asian horror movie ever made.