Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Pope Benedict resigning

Started by Shadow, February 12, 2013, 06:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

Point is, the jabs aren't necessary.

Back on topic: I really don't have an opinion on this. Not really a religious person and haven't been for quite some time. So I'm not sure why the Pope stepping down is a big deal. Considering he's replaceable, I was under the impression he was just a figure head. :/

Pastor

I don't see how it's particularly important. It's not really like the pope has any weight on the lives/opinions of secular people (nor most casual Catholic people, to be honest). He's just kind of there, like a novelty lamp that sits on a throne and hates gay people.

Crash Dummie

L-Face

Pope Mobile doesn't have shit on the Batmobile and that's a fact!  [*finger*]

Crash Dummie

Batman doesn't have super powers. The Pope supposedly does.

JasonzSon

L, I think the reason it's such a big deal is that it's not supposed to be a job you can retire from.  The past 600 years of Pope have all died in office.  Other than that, they still make it a big deal when a Pope dies, so I guess the point is, anything the Pope does is going to be a big deal in the public eye.

Shadow

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 13, 2013, 04:59:08 AMThe past 600 years of Pope have all died in office.
Pretty much the main reason why I posted this... didn't have any clue about that little fact and thought it was pretty interesting. I doubt anyone actually cares what he does, but it's pretty big news nonetheless.

Crash Dummie

We actually have an expression in Québec which is "Rare comme de la marde de pape". It translate to "Rare as pope shit".

Shadow

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 13, 2013, 06:59:38 AMWe actually have an expression in Québec which is "Rare comme de la marde de pape". It translate to "Rare as pope shit".
Imagine how much one of those would run for on e-bay.

DrumrbaxJ

Australian news reports on it, following it immediately with "We may have an Australian pope on the cards".
Seriously? I mean, really? Does anyone want that? I sure as fuck don't, and I'm Australian.

JasonzSon

Is there that much in the way of Catholicism in Australia?

DrumrbaxJ

As much as there is anywhere in the world.

DrumrbaxJ

Shadow

Quote from: DrumrbaxJ on February 13, 2013, 11:45:29 PMYup. This thread is over now too.
Would pretty much be the best leader of anything ever.