Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

The Man Who Laughs (1928)

Started by Jigsaw, June 13, 2018, 04:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

This dark and moody silent classic is one of those movies that's a classic for the reason. The cast is amazing, the story tragic yet deeply engaging, and it's not one that you'd soon forget. While not a horror movie in the strictest of senses, I do think fans of the genre, especially fans of the older flicks, would rather enjoy this.

What did you think about this classic silent?

Chucky

I actually saw this recently, I'll probably add a review after the new site is up.

Jigsaw

Hope you didn't hate it, as I know anything pre-1970's doesn't really jingle your bells. [*thumbsup*]

Chucky

Well, I was gonna save my thoughts for my review, especially since I'll struggle to really do a lengthy review for a silent film that actually talks more about the film itself rather than how I formulate my rating but here is my opinion...

For a silent film, of which I have only ever seen a few, it is definitely a really good movie of its time. However, when I rate a movie, I try to factor in a few things such as my overall enjoyment factor by comparing it to ratings I have given to other movies, how eager I am to revisit it etc.

So in terms of how eager I am to revisit it, I probably never will. I mean, I already get annoyed enough having to read subtitles for foreign movies so you can imagine how annoyed I may get from watching a silent film, though I obviously understand the limitations of film back then and so I try, as hard as it is, to give silent films a break for that reason BUT it's inescapable that it DOES affect my enjoyment.

So essentially what I do when rating a movie is I compare it to movies that I gave pretty mediocre scores to and see if I rate it above or below those before I decide on my rating. I could look at anything like Rawhead Rex or Lorna the Exorcist or something like that, movies which I may have given ratings of 6/10 for and decide, do I enjoy it more or less than those movies...

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it more than those movies, so then I have to compare it to others that I have given lower scores. It may be sad to say as I respect the hell out of this movie for what it is in relation to when it was made, but my score would end up being maybe a 4/10.

I know giving it that type of rating seems like a slap in the face, I almost don't want to review it for that simple fact, but I guess it's important to be as honest as I can in relation to my tastes so if someone else comes along and compares scores etc, those results will reflect correctly rather than me giving it a good rating while never having a desire to ever watch it again.

But if it's any consolation, if someone asked me to recommend a really good silent movie, I'd have no hesitation in recommending The Man Who Laughs.

P.S. I only really watched it because my wife really enjoys these older movies, she really liked it.

Jigsaw

That's all fair.

I've not gotten around to rewatching and reviewing movies like The Shining (1980), Carrie, or The Exorcist, but when I do, none of them are getting an above average rating, despite their high popularity in the horror community. Even if a movie is well-respected, you're right, you have to be honest with your review. So when the new site is up, you write out your thoughts and put up a 4/10 on it. Don't let a movie's stature make you feel you can't criticize it. Believe me, when I get to Carrie, I will not be kind.

The Man Who Laughs isn't my favorite silent film, and I can't see myself watching it again for fun (Maciste in Hell, though...). It's a classic for a reason, but I entirely understand that most silent films don't appeal to horror fans, which I think is a shame (avoiding a silent movie, avoiding black-and-white movies, both limit you to what you might otherwise enjoy), but I do understand it.

Your wife should be a mod, so she can write another positive review, then.  [*thumbsup*]

I seriously do appreciate you giving it a chance, though, if only to make your wife happy. [*laugh*]

Dorkus

This is the movie that basically inspired the creation of The Joker, if I recall.

Jigsaw

Indeed. and The Bat (one version from 1926, the remake from 1930), was partly the inspiration for Batman's design, if I recall.