Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Halloween (2018) Trailer

Started by Jigsaw, June 09, 2018, 04:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

So this is disregarding every movie past the 1978 original, which is fun. Looks a solid trailer, and hopefully the movie will be able to live up to the hype.

Chucky

I'm quite happy to be seeing a slasher movie in theatres for once instead of some supernatural, ghost movie that has dominated the horror genre for many recent years.

Jigsaw

Indeed. Especially during the whole possession phase we went through from 2010 to something like 2013, it's nice to see another slasher pop up (even if it isn't original).

I guess we did have Happy Death Day last year, but that's all I can really think of.

Chucky

Jigsaw

Interestingly enough, it looks like Happy Death Day grossed $31,097,137 (domestically) more than Prey at Night did. Even with Happy Death Day coming out five months before, that still seems significant.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=strangers2.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=blumhousehorror2018.htm

I hope that Halloween does well, and I think it will (at least better than both Prey at Night and Happy Death Day, just for the hype alone), but I sort of doubt it can re-ignite the trend toward slashers, as much as I wish otherwise.

Chucky

Quote from: Jigsaw on June 13, 2018, 09:51:20 AM
Interestingly enough, it looks like Happy Death Day grossed $31,097,137 (domestically) more than Prey at Night did. Even with Happy Death Day coming out five months before, that still seems significant.

There's three main things that helped Happy Death Day make more money...

1) PG rated films open themselves up to a wider market.
2) It was marketed to death. The trailer was played EVERYWHERE. I saw it before multiple non-horror movies at the theatres, all over TV, all over the internet. I barely heard anything leading up to the release of Prey at Night.
3) Happy Death Day had a wider release. Prey at Night only played 1 night only at my local theatre, which is a fairly popular theatre. Whereas HDD played for at least like 4 weeks with many sessions every day.

IMO, Prey at Night was the more superior film though, especially if you're a fan of slasher movies.

Halloween 2018 will definitely make a ton of cash, solely because of the franchise followers alone. The first trailer uploaded to YouTube already has 12mil views in 4 days.

Shadow

I saw the trailer a little while back- not 100% sure what I think of it.

Seems like the movie isn't sure if it wants to be an action movie, or a horror movie. It does have my interest, though. I wouldn't mind giving it a chance. And Laurie is back!

I had completely forgotten about Happy Death Day! I actually wanted to give that one a watch when it was coming out... it seemed fun.