Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Horror Movie Checklist 2013

Started by Dorkus, February 08, 2013, 01:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorkus

I enjoyed making this thread at the old board, and although it didn't see much action, I'm trying it again.

For those who didn't see the old threads, you basically make a checklist of horror movies you have never seen, along with a mini-review and score. I found it a good way to motivate me to rack up more horrors.

You can make the checklist as long as you want it to be, but I'm going with the same 5 movies per checklist rule as last time.

Discussion on eachothers lists/reviews are highly encouraged.

Here's mine...

Martyrs (2008) [Holy shit, this was a much better film than I was expecting it to be. A torture (no, I'm not saying the full term) movie that decides to explore some truly deep territory. I love horror movies that have some actual layers to them, and every minute this one peeled off a new one. I actually disagree with Reign in Bloods comment though, I thought the second half was when things got great. I had dismissed Martyrs before, I wont be making that mistake again. Awesome film.] [8.5/10]
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) [mini-review here] [score here]
Funny Games (1997) [mini-review here] [score here]
Near Dark (1987) [mini-review here] [score here]
Trick 'r Treat (2007) [mini-review here] [score here]

JasonzSon

You know, this is actually a great way to motivate someone to watch more movies.
Nosferatu (1922)[Despite great cinematography and a good creepy score at times, I have to rate it against modern films and the hard to read narration when I score it.  First use of Day For Night?][8/10]

Silent Night (2012)
[Ultimately a below average film
, due largely due to the ridiculous red and green filters that otherwise ruin a perfectly average conclusion to an average film that doesn't know what it wants to be.[4/10]

Re-Animator (1985)
[Great effects, story could be better.  It's a good '80s film.][7.5/10]

Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)
[Average dumb Over the Top Killers film.  Not bad but nothing spectacular to elevate it above a 6.  Unless you're scared of clowns or find them funny, that is.][6/10]

Strippers vs Werewolves (2012)[Pretty good for what it is. The strippers and werewolves build up a legit beef with one another, which gives the film some stakes.][7/10]

Quote from: Dorkus on February 08, 2013, 01:28:43 PM

Definitely a good flick, I recommend anybody watch this.

gorefan1428

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 08, 2013, 01:38:38 PM
You know, this is actually a great way to motivate someone to watch more movies.

Nosferatu (1922)[][/10]
Silent Night (2012)[][/10]
Re-Animator (1985)[][/10]
Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)[][/10]
Striippers vs Werewolves (2012)[][/10]

Definitely a good flick, I recommend anybody watch this.

You have a list with three great movies  nosferatu, re-animator, and killer klowns are all well worth the watch

almost said 4 until i realized that was the 2012 silent night [*deal*] the last i have no clue about.

i'll post my list soon

JasonzSon

Yeah, I've seen the awesome original; now I want to see the generic remake.  The last one... I picked off the Netflix list off the title alone.

gorefan1428

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 08, 2013, 04:36:46 PM
Yeah, I've seen the awesome original; now I want to see the generic remake.  The last one... I picked off the Netflix list off the title alone.

netflix is a great place to find some obscure horror and some classics as well

1. The Skeleton Key  (2005) (solid film almost entirely throughout with an interesting story line. The only thing holding this movie back is some slow parts and lack of on screen deaths) (8.5/10)   "have had this in the netflix cue for well over a year i will watch it damit [*angry*]"

2.Rosemary's Baby (1968) () (/10)

3.28 Weeks Later (2007)() (/10)  )   "thought the original was great never did get around to watching this one"

4. An american werewolf in London (1981) () (/10)

5. The Ward(2010) (Well i must say this is carpenter at near his best. This movie had a great,score, atmosphere, and pace to it. It's a movie that will make you think. It did have a few drawbacks but they were easily overlooked ) (9/10)

JasonzSon

I'm curious to see some people's more detailed opinions of American Werewolf.  I see why it's a classic, but I have trouble believing it's as universally liked as it seem to be.

Dorkus

It's one of my favourite horror movies, but you know I love a good horror/comedy mix. I also believe it has the greatest transformation sequence ever.

gorefan1428

score added for skeleton key

Must say i was pleasantly surprised with this movie. It has an eerie ambiance that is persistent throughout the entire film.The setting is creepy as well as the score. All the sights and sounds of the environment kept me on edge waiting to see what happened next. This is the type of movie where jump scares are actually ok to use. They were built up to well and actually made me jerk when they took place. Having a main character that i actually gave two shits about was a plus also.

This is the type of movie all the paranormal activity  tries to be but fails at in all aspects.  It's not a perfect movie, there are some slow parts that drag a little and there is very little on screen death most is just talked about and the deaths that are show are  flashbacks. As some may know ;however, there are some fates worse than death.

DrumrbaxJ

I enjoyed making this thread at the old board, and although it didn't see much action, I'm trying it again.

For those who didn't see the old threads, you basically make a checklist of horror movies you have never seen, along with a mini-review and score. I found it a good way to motivate me to rack up more horrors.

You can make the checklist as long as you want it to be, but I'm going with the same 5 movies per checklist rule as last time.

Here's mine...

Martyrs (2008) [mini-review here] [score here]
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) [mini-review here] [score here]
Funny Games (1997) [mini-review here] [score here]
Near Dark (1987) [mini-review here] [score here]

I want to know about Martyrs. Hope it's worth it.
Tucker & Dale was brilliant.
Funny Games is perfect.

Akasha

Martyrs is still one of my favorite flicks. It's carved into my memory forever as I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Everyone should see this movie. I rarely cry watching horror, this one made me cry. Made me cringe... It's an experience...

Reign in Blood

I thought the first half of Martyrs was brilliant. But it was like that was all they had in the tank, so they said fuck it and crammed in a completely different script (that was much shittier) to finish it off.

JasonzSon

Score and mini-review for Nosferatu.  9/10 for its day, but going up against film in general it loses some points.

gorefan1428

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 11, 2013, 04:30:55 AM
Score and mini-review for Nosferatu.  9/10 for its day, but going up against film in general it loses some points.

It's very hard and almost unfair to rate a film this old against films of today.

For it's time it was a breaking ground kind of film and the fact that people are still talking about it to this day speaks volumes.

For a film with no words it just has so much atmosphere to it.

I do agree that the words are hard to read and keep up with at times though.

JasonzSon

I agree with you, but at the same time, anybody who follows my recommendation (the only real reason to score it at all) is going to be viewing it against modern films and everything else, so the ultimate score should represent that aspect.

Going to add my Killer Klowns stuff now.

gorefan1428

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 11, 2013, 05:29:21 PM
I agree with you, but at the same time, anybody who follows my recommendation (the only real reason to score it at all) is going to be viewing it against modern films and everything else, so the ultimate score should represent that aspect.

Going to add my Killer Klowns stuff now.

i just think of it more in terms like rating an old nes game vs a game from a modern system

you wouldn't compare the old nes game against newer games