Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Discussion of Future Portions of this Site

Started by Jigsaw, February 04, 2013, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

Obviously, members are slowly trickling on and rejoining, so I think that within a few weeks to a month we'll have everyone back who intends to come back.

I began this thread so we could see how certain sections of this site are coming along, and more so, maybe if people have suggestions of what they'd like to see, they could post them here for Chucky to see. I hope I don't seem like I'm above my station with this thread, but it's never too early to start discussing where we're headed.

First off, I think the thing that makes Fight Evil a unique site, and why I originally joined all those years ago, were the fights between horror icons. Were you intending to bring back the fights when possible, and if so, holding a draft to gauge what characters would be representing?

Also, I know movies reviews were discussed. I'll be honest and say that while I watch many horror films, I'm still not great at writing full reviews for movies. If anyone recalls, I had a own, sort of private section where I reviewed horror films in a much less grandeur fashion ("Jiggy's Corner of Horrors," or something to that effect). As soon as we get some classic threads back, such as "What's the last horror movie you watched?" and such, I'll see whether or not I need a thread of my own.

This isn't as important in my opinion, but another unique factor about this site was the Chat Room (which was an actual chat room - not just a thread were we talked about life). Now, I don't know how realistic it is that we can have another one, but if demand is high enough, maybe it should be discussed as an option for a future time.

Also, Movie of the Week was sort of suffering toward the end, but I think once we get about 50 members, and interest is high, that maybe we should continue that. I was sort of running it toward the end of it's run, and would have no qualms in doing so again if we decide to bring it back, but I wouldn't mind if someone else decided to take over.

The site itself is looking good (Member list if nice, and everything is simple and laid out), and I sense a great future.

It's great to see people coming back so quickly, and I hope that everyone makes it when possible. Well done, Chucky - you brought us back to life.

(Don't know if videos can be posted yet, and even if they can, I was never great with that, so I'll just post this link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c)

JasonzSon

Equal parts Thanks Chuck for bringing it back and Damn, Chuck, when did you say the forum would be open by?

As for the forum layout, I really did like the old one, to the point that most forums I made emulated it.  The only thing I would change is a section under Horror for non-movie content- maybe a Film and TV board, and a Horror Lit board.  Otherwise, I'm all for everything we had before.  Except maybe the Arcade, which didn't do much.  Chat was cool, but could I suggest something like Cbox instead?  It might be more effective in terms of drawing attention to it.

Jigsaw

I recall enjoying the old layout, but does Chucky recall the details of it? More so, out of interest, does anyone have screen-caps of the old site, regarding layout and such? It's been so long, I forget how this layout and the old site's layout differs.

God, I forgot about the arcade. I thought it was sort of cool, but perhaps a bit much.

What's Cbox? I guess I could always look it up, but I'll ask anyways. :P

JasonzSon

Cbox is essentially a chat on the bottom or sidebar of the page, visible to anybody who comes by.  Chuck has screenshots of most versions of the site, he had that History of FE thing a while back (I imagine it'll be coming back with an update when he's got time), and besides, it hasn't changed that much since the old site.

Jigsaw

Hm, seems like a good idea (Cbox) if it can be implemented correctly.

And indeed, an updated History of FE would be a fantastically enjoyable read, if he has the time to construct one. And I love that link - it was before I even joined. Brings me back. *Gazes out the window in reminiscence*

Shadow

I like the old setup of the site, too. It had a section for pretty much anything- even areas that weren't all too active. Something like that is nice because even though some sections might not get used as much as others, it makes it easier for things to get organized and what not.

Seeing all the old sections of the previous forum come back, I think, should be the baseline for how this forum is set up.

Jigsaw

I'm with Shadow on this - I don't know how much space an "inactive" section would take up, but I like the idea of having the choice to post something in a section that doesn't get as much attention as others.

Chucky

I'll try to cover as much as I can in this response:

The Fights
While I think there is no doubt this section will return, it's low priority. It's a good tool to attract people to the site, but it will only occupy someone for 10 minutes here and there. If you don't have the time-consuming content like reviews, articles etc to occupy their time between fights, there's less chance they'll stick around.

Movie Reviews
One of my missions with this site is to keep a unique perspective on generic features. Movie reviews are essential to pretty much any movie-themed website but almost every site seems to display them in a similar fashion to each other. My idea, and this was mostly the idea back in 2011 when I was developing a new site just before my host changed the PHP software and screwed my coding, was to put a huge emphasis on rankings. When a staff reviewer is adding their review, they can add tags (e.g. sequel, remake, slasher etc) so readers can add parameters to show a list of the top 10 rated 'slasher' movies, or 'remakes' or even 'slasher remakes' if you use both, lol.

The ratings would be based on averages supplied by each individual staff member which has rated the film. I should also be able to do this combined and separately for members also. Reviews will have the option of adding either or both a small and large review. Small review will just be a couple of sentences, basically a summary and the large reviews are obviously those ones that span over a bunch of paragraphs. There's a lot more to it but that's a taste of it.

Chat Room
I am leaning towards using a chatbox but it's something I need to think more about as I don't want its presence to be a detriment toward forum posting activity. The reason why I preferred a chat room instead of chatbox is that there was a distinction between it and the forum. A chatbox, whilst being a chatting tool, still works a lot like a forum. You can say something and 5hrs later someone drops in and can respond to it... which almost sounds the same as posting a message on a forum. Eventually, you start getting people chatting about movies in it rather than in the desired forum for movie discussion.

Forum
This forum is similar but not identical to the one you previously would have been on. A lot of the same colours and layouts, only a few tables being displayed differently and such. As previously stated in another thread, more boards will follow once activity increases.

Jigsaw

I thank you for taking the time to answer my inquiries.

Chucky

I have also added more to my post about the chatbox.

Jigsaw

Ah, I didn't think of that. I take it there's no good way to set up one of those chat boxes to delete messages after five minutes or so?

Even if not, once activity increases, a room (if in demand) would probably be the way to go.

Giddins

Quote from: Chucky on February 04, 2013, 12:31:21 PM
Movie Reviews
One of my missions with this site is to keep a unique perspective on generic features. Movie reviews are essential to pretty much any movie-themed website but almost every site seems to display them in a similar fashion to each other. My idea, and this was mostly the idea back in 2011 when I was developing a new site just before my host changed the PHP software and screwed my coding, was to put a huge emphasis on rankings. When a staff reviewer is adding their review, they can add tags (e.g. sequel, remake, slasher etc) so readers can add parameters to show a list of the top 10 rated 'slasher' movies, or 'remakes' or even 'slasher remakes' if you use both, lol.

are you able to make it that you can also search by reviewer? as different people have different tastes. so that if people find a reviewer they like or feel they share tastes then they can search them and not others.

though i guess you could just tag your own name and then have something like giddins top 10 slasher remakes. i think i just answered my own question. lol

Chucky

Quote from: Giddins on February 04, 2013, 12:43:36 PMare you able to make it that you can also search by reviewer? as different people have different tastes. so that if people find a reviewer they like or feel they share tastes then they can search them and not others.

though i guess you could just tag your own name and then have something like giddins top 10 slasher remakes. i think i just answered my own question. lol

I don't think that would be a problem.

DrumrbaxJ

Isn't there tiny chat or whatever it is? Where you can even go on cam? I have no intentions of showing my dick to everyone, just saiyan.

Shadow

Quote from: Chucky on February 04, 2013, 12:31:21 PMMovie Reviews
Are we going to be bringing back the reviews from the old boards over here?

Quote from: Chucky on February 04, 2013, 12:31:21 PMChat Room
I vote for chatroom, mainly for the issue you described with chatbox vs. forum.

Quote from: Chucky on February 04, 2013, 12:31:21 PMForum
Mod me!