Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Ghost Rig (2003)

Started by Jigsaw, March 09, 2018, 06:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

While not a particularly original film, Ghost Rig (or The Devil's Tattoo) does a decent job for a low quality British flick, and you can certainly pass the night with it if need be.

Have you seen this early 2000's British film?

Chucky

It's interesting to see everyone's different interpretation of a 10 star rating scale. You gave it a 7/10 and still called it average to slightly below average.

I would've thought a 7 would be considered above average since that would translate to 3.5 / 5.  [*odd*]

Jigsaw

Yes, I know.

For me, a 7/10 rating is average, which is mostly based off my school experience (a 70% would equate a C-, which is technically below average, but I don't want to get too into the weeds).

So a 7/10 is average, whereas I suspect most people would have a 5/10 be the average/neutral rating.

Problem is, I can't transfer in my mind every movie I've seen into what some people might think is a more conventional rating system. And I could never rate out of 5, even with intervals - it's just too out there.  [*laugh*]

Long story short, my rating system is basically this:

10/10 - Perfect
9.5/10 - Close to perfection, a flaw or two holding it back
9/10 - Pretty damn good.
8.5/10 - Pretty damn good, but missing an oopmf factor.
8/10 - Great film, but bordering on just above average.
7.5/10 - Good film, but nothing extraordinary spectacular.
7/10 - Average - could be enjoyable, maybe sometimes not, but not really either great or terrible.
6.5/10 - So close to liking it, but it just doesn't quite make it due to a variety of flaws.
6/10 - Has potential, but fails to live up to it.
5.5/10 - Getting down to a flick I don't enjoy. Perhaps some good scenes and ideas throughout, but fails.
5/10 - Thoroughly below average, and not something I'd care to rewatch.

And honestly, while there are some distinctions, 4.5/10 - .5/10 (I don't believe I have ever rated a movie 0/10) are almost interchangeable. The "better" bad movies get a 4.5/10 or a 4/10, and the worst get a .5/10 through maybe 2.5/10.

I get it, it's confusing. But I've used this scale for as long as I can really remember, and it would be a very hard habit to break.

And a side-note - even movies I didn't necessarily like, let's say between a 5/10 and 6.5/10, I would probably not be against re-watching, because there are elements I certainly liked from the flicks. When it gets to 5/10 and lower is when those elements I like become less and less.

Hope that helped explain it. And no, you are not the only person to bring up my rating scale - on HMF, I've had many complaints.  [*laugh*]

Chucky

When the site gets a little more popular, your ratings comparison score is going to be wack for people who end up rating some of the same lesser known titles like this one because I imagine most people will give them lower scores even if their thoughts on the movie aren't that dissimilar to yours.

It's not an issue if that's how you want to rate them, but I think it's worth considering that when people rate more and more movies, the algorithms I have created will result in the website to be less likely to recommend your reviews to those people because it will detect that your scores are quite different to theirs and assume that you enjoyed those movies a lot more than they did.

Once again, you can rate the movies however you want, I'm not trying to make you change, I just want you to be aware of how it may affect your similarity scores with others and you may also encounter the same thing with other new functions that I continue to add to the website.

[*thumbsup*]

Jigsaw

You are certainly not wrong, and I've considered that, but I guess people are going to have to take that up with me.  [*uhoh*] [*browwink*]