Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Pre-70's Flicks you enjoy

Started by Jigsaw, March 04, 2018, 11:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

Most horror fans I know can't get enough of 70's and 80's horror (which decade is overall better, is, of course, disputed), but aside from a few select films (Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, the Hammer flicks), I don't see all that much talk about that many horror flicks pre-1970.

I'll just use my list of horror films I've seen, and post below a bunch of movies I think might be worth checking out. If anyone's seen any of them, and disagree (or agree), feel free to comment.

1913: Der Student von Prag

1919: Unheimliche Geschichten

1920: Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari, Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam

1921: Schloß Vogelöd

1922: Häxan

1925: Maciste all'inferno, The Phantom of the Opera

1926: The Magician

1927: The Unknown

1929: Seven Footprints to Satan, The Last Warning

1930: The Bat Whispers

1931: Dracula, Murder by the Clock, Svengali, The Drums of Jeopardy

1932: Doctor X, Island of Lost Souls, The Mask of Fu Manchu, The Monster Walks, The Most Dangerous Game, The Old Dark House, Vampyr, White Zombie

1933: Mystery of the Wax Museum, Secret of the Blue Room, The Invisible Man, The Vampire Bat

1934: The Ninth Guest

1935: Mad Love

1939: The Face at the Window, The Gorilla, The Hound of the Baskervilles

1940: The Devil Bat

1941: King of the Zombies, The Wolf Man (4)

1942: The Undying Monster

1943: The Leopard Man, The Mysterious Doctor

1945: Dead of Night, The Body Snatcher, The Picture of Dorian Gray

1946: Bedlam, The Beast with Five Fingers, The Mask of Diijon

1948: Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein

1951: The Thing from Another World

1953: House of Wax

1954: Creature from the Black Lagoon, Them!

1955: Les diaboliques

1956: Indestructible Man, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, X the Unknown

1957: The Abominable Snowman, The Curse of Frankenstein, Zombies of Mora Tau

1958: Bijo to ekitai ningen, Dracula, Earth vs the Spider, How to Make a Monster, It! The Terror from Beyond Space, Macabre, The Blob, The Fly, The Screaming Skull

1959: A Bucket of Blood, Attack of the Giant Leeches, House on Haunted Hill, The Bat, The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Killer Shrews, The Mummy, The Tingler, Tôkaidô Yotsuya kaidan

1960: Psycho, The Flesh and the Fiends, The Hypnotic Eye, The Little Shop of Horrors, 13 Ghosts

1961: Bloodlust!, Mr. Sardonicus, Pit and the Pendulum, The Innocents

1962: What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

1963: Blood Feast, Dementia 13, Lo spettro, Matango, Paranoiac, The Birds, The Haunted Palace, The Haunting, The Sadist

1964: À Meia Noite Levarei Sua Alma, Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte, The Curse of the Living Corpse, The Flesh Eaters, The Last Man on Earth, The Strangler, Two Thousand Maniacs!, 6 donne per l'assassino

1965: A Study in Terror, Amanti d'oltretomba, Terrore nello spazio

1966: The Plague of the Zombies, The Reptile

1967: Berserk, Esta Noite Encarnarei no Teu Cadáver, Frankenstein Created Woman

1968: Confessions of a Psycho Cat, Hasta el viento tiene miedo, Witchfinder General

1969: The Oblong Box, What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?

Not every movie above is amazing, but I did enjoy each one to varying degrees.

I have a deep love of many of these older flicks, and if anyone wants any recommendations, maybe we can all help each other out.

Chucky

I'm a bigger fan of 70's/80's/90's cinema. Psycho is okay and I used to watch the Blob movies a little but that's about as far as I go into enjoying older movies like these.

Jigsaw

70's and 80's horror flicks are, for the most part, amazing. I always slightly preferred the 1970's, but both are very strong decades of horror.

90's, while there are some more modern day classics within, not so much.

I get it, though - it's not the easiest thing to get into older movies. Personally, there's tons of silent horror movies I love, but I rarely expect other horror fans to willingly jump into them.

Psycho is a great movie, but there are plenty of other classics to if you look. That said, I certainly understand the preference of 70's through 90's horror flicks.