Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

The Exorcist (1973)

Started by Chucky, January 30, 2018, 01:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chucky

While it may no longer have people throwing up their dinner and running out of theatres like it did back in the 70's, The Exorcist remains an extremely chilling film.

What do you think of it?

Dorkus

Jigsaw

So, I've only seen this movie once (way back in 2009), so I'm hoping that when I do see it again, it'll do more for me than it did the first time I saw it (which, at the time, I felt the film was around average).

I guess we'll see. [*uhoh*]

Glad you get a lot of enjoyment out of this movie, though. [*thumbsup*]

Chucky

It's a sweet-ass flick once it gets going.

Jigsaw

The one scene that really creeped me out was the spider-walk, which wasn't even in the original version (from my understanding), so I'll need to be sure to find the right one before re-watching that one.

I saw Exorcist II four years back, or so, though, and I just couldn't believe how bad it really was. Blew me away, almost.

Chucky

I believe there is a more recent extended version that has since come out, not sure if I actually saw that one but as long as you watch any of the post-2000 cuts which include the spiderwalk scene, those would be fine. I think the movie is better with the spiderwalk than without it. I believe the only reason why it wasn't originally in the movie is because they weren't able to do it without showing the wires and that only became possible with more recent technology.

Dorkus

Actually, the director chose to cut the scene because he didn't want the reveal of Regan being possessed that early or some shit.

Chucky

I had the 2000 release which was the first release to have it and I'm sure it was either through the audio commentary or an interview that said it was because of effects. I googled it out of interest and this is what I read in a somewhat recent Bloody-Disgusting article...

"Fans have dubbed it the "spider-walk scene," and it wasn't actually part of the film until a 2000 re-release that allowed Friedkin to digitally remove the visible wires that forced him to cut it back in 1973."