Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Best Horror Films of the Last Three Years

Started by Jigsaw, February 04, 2013, 04:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrumrbaxJ

Jigsaw

Thanks for the confirmation; I've been thinking that for a long time.

DrumrbaxJ

gorefan1428

Quote from: Shadow on February 04, 2013, 11:30:48 AM
I haven't seen a whole lot of movies the past few years, particularly in the horror genre, because I've found most of them to be stale and obnoxious. 

I agree with this and am the same.

I'll stick to my 70's- 80's horror with a touch of newer stuff here and there.

Reign in Blood

Piranha and Fright Night remakes were both ace. I saw the devil was the best of all mentioned, but also dug Insidious and Cabin in the Woods. A Serbian Film suffered from too much hype, but it was more interesting and well made than I thought it would be, pretty solid all things considering.

Midian Fiend

My favourite was Prometheus, while I don't think it falls entirely under horror. A lot of people really hate it but I really enjoyed it, it answered some questions and brought up a lot more. Had great fun debating and analysing that movie.

Also another fav was the Fright night remake, I love this one like the first just in a different way.

L-Face

I enjoyed the hell out of Tucker and Dale. Thought that was a pretty solid horror comedy. Other than that, I think the most recent horror film I saw was the Fright Night remake. Honestly, while I enjoyed it, I probably would have liked it a lot better had it gone under a different name. Really don't think the "Fright Night" title was necessary, but that's just my take.

Quote from: Reign in Blood on February 04, 2013, 06:13:37 PM
A Serbian Film suffered from too much hype, but it was more interesting and well made than I thought it would be, pretty solid all things considering.
Waaaaay too much hype on A Serbian Film. Thought it was super dull and not nearly as "shocking" as a lot of people made it out to be.

El Fwiso

I liked "Sinister" , good sountrack and the eerie "found footage" sequences were nice.

Jigsaw

I have heard Sinister was pretty good - any others seen it and can confirm?

Pastor

I thought Sinister kicked ass (and I went in not expecting to like it). Ethan Hawke is great in the lead role and James Ransone is funny as the cop. The snuff footage is creepy and the ending pulls no punches.

Other recent ones worthy of mention are Kill List, Pontypool, The House of the Devil, and Tucker & Dale.

Akasha

Reign in Blood

I dubiously forgot to mention The Taint. That's just some good, sweet love, right there.

JasonzSon

Ah, what the hell.  I'll say it.

So you love The Taint?

Jigsaw

Wanted to resurrect this, and give my top five horror films from 2012 through 2017 (I've not seen any horror flicks from 2018 as of yet), which covers nicely a moderately newer range of horror flicks.

2012:

1) Barricade
2) Sinister
3) The Woman in Black
4) Silent Night
5) The Cabin in the Woods

Honorable mentions: Dead Souls, Ghoul, and Truth or Dare

2013:

1) Curse of Chucky
2) Mischief Night
3) Wolf Creek 2
4) Don't Go to the Reunion
5) The Den

Honorable mentions: Evidence, Hatchet III, and Wer

2014:

1) As Above, So Below
2) It Follows
3) The Babadook
4) Ravana's Game
5) Deep in the Darkness

Honorable mentions: None - I was stretching to make a top five. [*cry*]

2015:

1) Most Likely to Die
2) The Devil's Candy
3) Almost Mercy
4) Hell House LLC
5) The Unspoken

Honorable mentions: The VVitch: A New-England Folktale and The Visit

2016:

1) Hush
2) House of Purgatory
3) A Cure for Wellness
4) Ozark Sharks
5) The Void

Honorable mentions: The Autopsy of Jane Doe and Miles Before Sleep

2017:

1) Kill Game
2) It
3) Neverknock
4) Night Howl
5) Get Out

Honorable mention: House of the Witch

Jigsaw

Thought I might as well post some favorites from 2018 to 2021 *shrugs*:

2018: Apostle, Kill Game, Killer High, The Strangers: Prey at Night, You Might Be the Killer

2019: Midsommar, Recovery, Sea Fever, The Banana Splits Movie

2020: Run, The Hunt, The New Mutants

2021: Fear Street: 1978, Fear Street: 1666, Howard's Mill, Malignant, Wrong Turn

Both 2020 and 2021 were rough - I've seen 17 horror films from each of them, and so few stand out in a positive fashion.