Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

What's the Last Non-Horror Movie You Watched?

Started by L-Face, February 06, 2013, 12:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

Caddyshack

I like this movie. I really do. But I want to get something straight. This movie would have fucking bombed had it not been for Ted Knight, Rodney Dangerfield, and Bill Murray. The fact that Chevy Chase is supposed to be this "zany likeable character" is a joke in itself. The dude is legitimately unfunny. I think this is where the rumor of Chevy Chase being funny began and it seriously needs to be nipped in the butt. I digress.

6/10 A classic? Eh. It's good for a watch.

gorefan1428

Quote from: L-Face on March 17, 2013, 03:38:13 PM
Caddyshack

I like this movie. I really do. But I want to get something straight. This movie would have fucking bombed had it not been for Ted Knight, Rodney Dangerfield, and Bill Murray. The fact that Chevy Chase is supposed to be this "zany likeable character" is a joke in itself. The dude is legitimately unfunny. I think this is where the rumor of Chevy Chase being funny began and it seriously needs to be nipped in the butt. I digress.

6/10 A classic? Eh. It's good for a watch.

this is one of my favorite, this is defiantly not chase at his best but i am a chase fan though.

L-Face

A friend that I haven't seen in two years due to him being in the military recently paid a visit. So his wife, his brother, his sister, his cousin, and I decided to go see a movie. Unfortunately most of the movies that are out, he's already seen. All that was left was "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone." Was it incredible? Far from it. Honestly, I had a better time watching the trailers before the movie started. There were some fairly funny moments in Burt Wonderstone, but ultimately, it was forgettable. I can't say that I was disappointed since I literally had no expectations going into the movie. So yeah......honestly wouldn't recommend this one.

3/10

JasonzSon

Oz, the Great and Powerful (2013) - Passable prequel, not great but not terrible either.  Working on a review of it for the Fantasy & Sci-Fi site I post on.  I'd give it a 6/10.

Metropolis (1927) - I don't know if I'd go straight up to calling it epic but I'll say damn, a whole lot going on in this film, with effects that look better than the ones in the film above.  Nothing like what I expected.  Still deliberating, but maybe an 8/10.

DeraiLer

I also found OZ to be just above average. Not really the fun filled ride I wanted.

And Metropolis might rate higher if you saw the version with Queen doing the soundtrack. So much better that way.

Last movie I saw was Rumble Fish. Man I have been meaning to watch this since forever and now I wish I had skipped it. Dull, boring flick from Francis Ford Coppolla. The one fight scene was pretty laughable. It seriously looked like the Batman 60's TV show fight scenes. I was expecting a big "Boffo" sign to appear when Matt Dillon hit the baddie. Not one of Coppollas better works IMO. Mickey Rourke and Diane Lane being the only highlights. He was cool and she was Hot.

De Rating: 4/10

JasonzSon

It took me a bit to realize Bruce Campbell is the guard who gets beat up by that black comedy midget that's in all the movies with midgets in them.

FanofAllHorror

I'm not positive this counts as a movie, per se, as it's just a stand-up comedy thing, but I watched Dana Gould: Let Me Put My Thoughts in You. (2009).

As stand-up comedies go, it was okay. Some of his jokes were long in telling and short in an interesting punch-line, as it is. He did have some funny jokes, but most of the jokes were just bland, and nothing really notable was said. I notice that most of these can be either really funny or really terrible, depending on the comic, but this one was really in the middle. Unlike other stand-ups, I wouldn't watch it again, but I've seen worse *cough Gilbert Gottfried cough*. As it was, I'd give it a 5/10.

L-Face

Sure, I'd count Stand-Up specials. Hell, I watched one the other day.

Patrice O'Neal: Elephant in the Room

Holy fuck, Patrice is fucking hilarious. I knew that prior to watching this special as before his passing, he was a regular on the Opie and Anthony show. From start to finish, I was in tears laughing. He's not just funny, but he's also very thought provoking in his views on men, women, and relationships. This special is definitely a classic and one I can see myself watching multiple times. I'd whole heatedly recommend this one.

10/10

FanofAllHorror

Few stand-ups get me in tears laughing, so I might try that out sometime.

Anyway, I've seen five non-horror movies since I last posted, but as this says most recent, I'll stick with that.

Just watched No Code of Conduct (1998), and I liked it more than I thought I would. For one, I'm a sucker for action movies, even if they really suck, and while I don't think this movie was that bad, it certainly wouldn't win any awards. For another, while one of the main characters was Charlie Sheen, called 'Charles Sheen' in the credits, lol, Martin Sheen was also in the movie, and I love that guy's acting. Loved him in The West Wing and I loved him in this movie. This movie also had the best explosion I've ever seen in a movie at the end.

However, the movies overall just wasn't good. It used the most annoying way to cut from scene to scene I've ever seen in a movie. It reminded me of the 60's Batman show, it was that bad. [Not dissing on that show, by the way. I love Batman and that show in all it's corny glory.] They had a sub-plot with Charlie and his wife, and that never really got resolved. Anyway, I'd give it a 6/10. I'd almost give it a 7, but it just fell short.

Chucky

Watched Skyfall tonight. To sum up my opinion of the movie.... meh.

DeraiLer

Just saw Olympus has Fallen!

If you saw the trailers and felt it was a basic action flick you were right. A by the book action flick which could have just as easily been a Die Hard script. The one impressive action piece was the beginning assault on the White house. Amazing 10 minutes of utter action. Loved it. Sadly though, the rest of the movie is Gerard sneaking around in the dark.

Oh well, give it a look when it pops up on TV.

De Rating: 6/10

Doomed Knight

Percy Jackson and the Lightning thief

I didn't like it, but I wasn't that much bad,... but I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

I guess I was expecting mush more.

6/10

FanofAllHorror

Just watched Secrecy (2008), an artful hands-off documentary about the nature of government secrets and how that relates to us, the citizens. I call it hands-off because we never saw those who did the interviews. All it was were clips of interviews with some video, images, ect. playing while they were talking. With that, however, I loved the movie. My favorite parts were the ones where they talked to Neal Katyal and Charles Swift, the lawyers for the defendant in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld. On a side-note, Swift reminded me a lot of Al Franken, one of the better Senators currently serving.

They talked about a lot, mostly in a non-biased view, though I thought it was obvious that the people opposing the government's right to keep certain things secret were portrayed more positively, which suits me just fine, as they're the people I agreed with. When our government tortures, kills, lies to us, it's hard to feel sympathy for those people who support keeping things classified even when there's no real confidential information contained within. Personally, they need to do a follow-up movie regarding Wikileaks, Bradley Manning, Julian Assange, our drone warfare, and other related matters. People really need to know and think about these stuff, and I feel they don't. I'd give this movie a 9/10.

DeraiLer

GI Joe Retaliation.

The first movie gave me a certain amount of gripes about what they did wrong then this movie comes out trying to rectify all the mistakes from the first one and ends up coming off as badly written, poorly directed kaka. Hell the best moments the movie seemed interesting were when Channing Tatum was around and he is only in it like 10 minutes! Where the first one peeved me with character errors but it still maintained a sense of excitement. This one failed to illicit any excitement except for one truly amazing scene with snake eyes fighting on the side of a mountain. That action piece was a blast! Shame the rest of the movie fizzled.

De Rating: 5/10

L-Face

I heard G.I Joe: Retaliation was a dumb, fun action flick and that if you look at it like that, it's fine. It was surprising to hear, especially from you, that the most endearing character is Channing Tatum. Also kinda funny considering most people hope to see him die in movies and the one he does die in, people are like, "Fuck.....that sucks!"