Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

What's the Last Non-Horror Movie You Watched?

Started by L-Face, February 06, 2013, 12:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

The first three have some pretty interesting stories, actually. And in a time where the action movie hero was an indestructible bad ass, McClane bled, had emotions. He was just a guy at the wrong place at the wrong time and was certain that he wasn't going to make it. In the first one, midway through the movie, he starts limping and doesn't stop until the screen fades to black and the credits roll.

Meanwhile, you had Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone mowing down hundreds of dudes with minor cuts and acting like it was just another day at the office.

JasonzSon

Maybe the marketing and the title hurt them, then.  Everything I saw (note that I would never go looking for an action film on my own anyway) yelled "generic action" to me and I never looked closer.

Crash Dummie

A few years ago you didn't even know who Bruce Willish was, of course you didn't want to watch Die Hard.  [*laugh*]

But seriously, the setting and characters really set it appart from other action films. Many people call the original the best christmas movie ever!

L-Face

Even the second one is a pretty good Christmas movie.  [*laugh*]

While on the subject of Die Hard, watched Die Hard 3 last night. Gotta be honest, first time I saw this many moons ago, I didn't particularly care for it. But after one of the movie channels played Die Hard 1, 2, and 3 back to back, it kinda grew on me. I like the dynamic between Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis. Jackson portraying the militant/reluctant partner to Bruce's hungover/reluctant hero. Jeremy Irons kind of surprised me too as the villain considering everything else I've seen him in, he was waaaaay over the top. Overall, a solid film. One that, in my opinion, doesn't fall into the terrible 3's list.

7/10

Crash Dummie

L-Face

It's a toss up for me. Though one moment, one line reading in Die Hard 2 almost manages to ruin one of the scenes for me. Dennis Franz saying "It's Christmas!" The way he says it is so jarring and terrible, that I couldn't help but groan and shake my head in disgust.

Doomed Knight

gorefan1428

L-Face

Watched Ready to Rumble.

Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. It's stupid, not very funny, and insulting to wrestling fans. But I can't help but find it enjoyable. Sure the two leads (David Arquette and the other guy whose name I don't care to learn) are terrible. But Oliver Platt and a cameo by Martin Landeau make it really fun.

Chucky

Yeah, I enjoy that flick too... great opening scene to see David Arquette use the stink palm technique.

DeraiLer

For a Few Dollars More

Can't get enough of Clint Eastwood westerns. One of his best here. Shame it is always overshadowed by the Good, the Bad and the ugly.

gorefan1428

Quote from: DeraiLer on February 27, 2013, 03:26:38 AM
For a Few Dollars More

Can't get enough of Clint Eastwood westerns. One of his best here. Shame it is always overshadowed by the Good, the Bad and the ugly.
Clint is the man ,like just about if not all of his stuff, very few of his films that i have not seen.

have you seen unforgiven?

watched taken 2 thought it was solid 8/10. Only thing that held it back for me were some parts that felt odd and illogical. Like this scene where he is on the cell phone orchestrating his escape from a cell phone in front of the people capturing him at gun point.

L-Face

Tetsuo: The Bullet Man

This is one of the dumbest movies I've seen in my entire life. I literally have no clue what the fuck was going on because the camera would only stop shaking for "dramatic" bits of dialog, and because I couldn't fucking hear a word they were saying. The people that did the dub (at least, I think it was dubbed....could have been in English for the most part) mumbled through 90% of their lines. Even if I knew what the hell I just watched, I still think I'd be lost. The only positive I can give this movie is that it's runtime is only 1 hour and 10 minutes. Ugh.

DeraiLer

Quote from: gorefan1428 on March 01, 2013, 02:18:35 PM
have you seen unforgiven?

Yes. One of the classics. The best part for me in that? Gene Hackman. The man is menacing. Which leads up to my next ientry into the Last Non-Horror Movie I Watched!

The Quick and the Dead! Still love this mainly for Gene Hackmans sinister role as the baddest mofo in a film filled with bad mofos. Shame he doesn't do much these days.

Doomed Knight