Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

What's the Last Horror Movie You Watched?

Started by L-Face, February 06, 2013, 12:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorefan1428

halloween kills for me

this is a tough one for me to rate
there were parts i really enjoyed and parts im like come on really

like you're gonna walk up on a dude that's trian wrecked half the town with a gun and not take a shot at him from six feet away?

though everyone in the movie had the aim of a storm trooper.

killes were enjoyable and a fun ride overall
but its just so hard when you stack it up to the atmospheric masterpiece that is the original 

the Halloween three mask were a nice touch

it was also nice seeing some of the classic characters back

im going to go slightly above average and give a 7  out of 10

ill probably give it a rewatch and see if i change my mind a little
i my have overhyped its expectation just a tad.

Jigsaw

Watched Hansel & Gretel Get Baked (2013)

Not as heavy on ridiculous comedy as you might think, which was a positive. Even so, it's not a particularly memorable film, aside from the mildly interesting plot. Below average, but not terribly so. 6.5/10. (Full review available in a year and a half or on demand. :P)

Jigsaw

Invitation to Hell (1982)

Not to be confused with the 1984 Wes Craven film of the same name, this 41 minute short was directed by Michael J. Murphy. It's rather low budget, and the quality is pretty poor. Performances weren't that great, but there was at least a solid kill, being a crucifixion of sorts. I'd really only recommend it to fans of low budget British Satanic horror, though. 4/10.

Blue Demon y Zovek en La invasión de los muertos (1973)

Known in the USA as The Invasion of the Dead, this Mexican zombie movie was slow. Admittedly, I have seen this before, but not with subtitles, so it was nice to understand more of it. Even so, not great. 4.5/10.

Super Slash Bro

Drag Me to Hell (2009) - I love this stupid fucking movie. It's so goddamn hilarious!

Possession (1981) - I heard a lot of good things about this one and it didn't disappoint. It was very over the top but it's also very surreal and psychedelic. I can't really compare it to anything but I highly recommend for anyone who hasn't watched yet!

Jigsaw

Admittedly, I've not yet seen Possession, but the fact Sam Neill is in it has long been a point of interest for me.

Just finished In the Spider's Web (2007).

All-in-all, this was decent. Still below average, but it had a few good characters, an okay story at times, and rather realistic spiders 95% of the time. Not a movie for those afflicted with arachnophobia, but overall, wasn't a bad rewatch. 6/10.

Jigsaw

A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989)

Always thought that this was the worst of the series. No idea what's going on, and it's just overall drab. Horrible kills, too. While Freddy's Dead is flawed, at least it's entertaining, and I don't believe this one really is. 5/10.

The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1994)

Known also as Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (which I admit is a better title), this honestly wasn't terrible until the last twenty or so minutes. I mean, it wasn't good before that, but that drop in quality was astonishing. Renée Zellweger did well, but otherwise, this movie isn't much my cup of tea, though still better than the second movie. 5.5/10.

Jigsaw

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)

I slightly prefer the 1939 Rathbone version, but this is a rather solid film too, and in color. My one issue is that, as much as I love Christopher Lee, I don't think he's the right guy for the role of Henry Baskerville. Still a quality rendition of the movie. 8/10.

Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)

Honestly, while there are some problems with this film, I had an okay time. It's below average, but it probably ties as my third favorite movie in the franchise. 6/10.

Chucky

Quote from: Jigsaw on June 17, 2022, 02:57:26 AM
Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)

Honestly, while there are some problems with this film, I had an okay time. It's below average, but it probably ties as my third favorite movie in the franchise. 6/10.

While plenty of people turn their nose up at it, I actually enjoy that one to some degree. And seeing some Alexandra Daddario bouncing titty action is always going to enhance any flick.

Jigsaw

Quote from: Chucky on June 17, 2022, 03:05:06 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw on June 17, 2022, 02:57:26 AM
Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)

While plenty of people turn their nose up at it, I actually enjoy that one to some degree. And seeing some Alexandra Daddario bouncing titty action is always going to enhance any flick.

My big issue is the timeline doesn't make sense. The beginning shootout takes place September 1973. Does Daddario look 39 in this movie?  [*laugh*]

Gore was pretty solid, though, and like I said, it probably ties with the 2003 remake and In the Beginning as my third favorite in the series.

Jason

The Black Phone was an absolute gem for modern horror. Blows my mind that nobody on any horror forum has ever even mentioned this movie.

Chucky

It's been on my radar since last year. There was an advanced screening of it in my area a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't attend as it was my daughter's 18th birthday party the exact same night. Doesn't get released here until next week.

Jigsaw

Quote from: Jason on July 15, 2022, 07:48:16 AM
The Black Phone was an absolute gem for modern horror. Blows my mind that nobody on any horror forum has ever even mentioned this movie.

Heard a decent amount of positive things about it on Twitter, but it's hard to separate the genuine praise from the "this-is-a-new-movie-and-I-don't-want-to-say-anything-negative-about-it-in-fear-of-bothering-people" vibe.

Though, I do know, from some people I do trust when it comes to horror, that they had a good time with it.

Jason

Quote from: Jigsaw on July 16, 2022, 01:51:07 AM
Quote from: Jason on July 15, 2022, 07:48:16 AM

Heard a decent amount of positive things about it on Twitter, but it's hard to separate the genuine praise from the "this-is-a-new-movie-and-I-don't-want-to-say-anything-negative-about-it-in-fear-of-bothering-people" vibe.

Though, I do know, from some people I do trust when it comes to horror, that they had a good time with it.

I tend to disregard many new horror movies but I always try to give some the benefit of the doubt. This was the best one I've seen in years, probably. More of a supernatural thriller with a major horror vibe, though. Still a very solid flick and one to check out when the chance arises.

gorefan1428

Quote from: Jigsaw on June 16, 2022, 01:20:56 PM

Always thought that this was the worst of the series. No idea what's going on, and it's just overall drab. Horrible kills, too. While Freddy's Dead is flawed, at least it's entertaining, and I don't believe this one really is. 5/10.

id defiantly agree with you there.
to me this one is by far the weakest in the entire franchise.
especially fallowing dream warriors and dream master.

this just feels like a thrown together mess that lacks any sort of direction.

how would you rate the sequels in order jiggy?

Jigsaw

Quote from: gorefan1428 on August 09, 2022, 02:01:32 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw on June 16, 2022, 01:20:56 PM

id defiantly agree with you there.
to me this one is by far the weakest in the entire franchise.
especially fallowing dream warriors and dream master.

this just feels like a thrown together mess that lacks any sort of direction.

how would you rate the sequels in order jiggy?

From worst to best:

9) Dream Child
8) Freddy's Dead
7) A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
6) Dream Master
5) New Nightmare
4) Freddy vs. Jason
3) Freddy's Revenge
2) Dream Warriors
1) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

There's some wriggle room here - every time I see New Nightmare, I like it a little less, but it's possible it's a better movie than Freddy vs. Jason. Also, it's possible I'd rate Freddy's Dead over the 2010 remake, but I'd need to see Freddy's Dead again before confirming that.