Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

What's the Last Horror Movie You Watched?

Started by L-Face, February 06, 2013, 12:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

The Last House on the Left (1972).

This was a fun movie to revisit. Fun not for it's gritty nature, but it's been so long since I've seen this one that I had a quality time with it.

Jigsaw

Been on a little spree, trying to get back into watching horror before October. Watched six movies in the last five days. All of these are rewatches.

Penny Dreadful (2006) - a bit dull past a certain point, but early on, it has decent suspense. Below average, but not terrible.

Castle Freak (1995) - fantastically depressing and tragic, a well-made cheap film. Great performances, tense scenes, while worth a watch.

Hideaway (1995) - Jeff Goldblum is really one of the few decent things about this movie. The CGI has aged damn terribly, and the story, while okay at times, runs on too long.

Macabre (1958) - William Castle's first horror film, this does have some solid suspense, and possesses a good story, but lacks the punch of later Castle films.

La notte che Evelyn uscì dalla tomba (1971) - Known as The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave, this was a fantastic mix of classic Italian gothic cinema and giallo. A lot of suspects, and a damn good story. The print on Shudder was so much better than the print I first saw.

The Gate (1987) - it's not a favorite of mine, but it can be pretty fun, and the stop-motion special effects were pretty impressive.

As always, my full reviews will be available both upon request and within the next year before.

CptDisaster

Just got finished watching Skinned Deep, its about as bad as I remember but Warwick Davis is a gem as always.
I also watched Midnight Meat-train yesterday and boy o boy did i forget how crazy it gets as it starts to wrap up.

Currently on the hunt for Devil's Harvest (2003). Used to own this one on DVD back in the day under the title Don't go into the attic but its gotten lost somewhere between moving.

Next on my list is Madhouse (1981) and Hellraiser Inferno

Jigsaw

Midnight Meat Train is a lot of fun whenever I deign to revisit it.

I have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for Hellraiser Inferno - it's not a great movie, but there are elements I quite like, and personally I enjoy it more than Hell on Earth or Bloodine.

Madhouse is a movie I don't remember too much about (aside from that I know it under the title There Was a Little Girl), but I hope it goes well.

Jigsaw

The Messengers (2007)

Has a few okay moments, but strikes me as overall very lukewarm and forgettable. Which is probably why, though I've seen it before, it pretty much felt like a new watch.  [*laugh*]

CptDisaster

Quote from: Jigsaw on September 11, 2021, 01:59:17 PM
The Messengers (2007)

Has a few okay moments, but strikes me as overall very lukewarm and forgettable. Which is probably why, though I've seen it before, it pretty much felt like a new watch.  [*laugh*]

I've felt that before, haven't seen the messengers though or perhaps I have and simply forgot.
Managed to track down a copy of Devil's Harvest it is not worth what I paid for it but it was much cheaper than amazon.

Hellraiser Inferno is a decent uplift compared to the last few films which had really started to drag.
I really don't understand how it can be difficult to make a hellraiser movie.

CptDisaster

Just finished rewatching house of 1000 corpses. So apparently these days it has a decent cult following.
My reactions remain the same as the first time I seen it.
Very bland and by the numbers perhaps it has not aged well due to the films that followed it but I genuinely don't see what people enjoy in this movie. I've read elsewhere RZ also considers it a bad movie but perhaps I am just missing something.

I also revisited Flu (감기) which felt a bit topical in todays climate. The young park minah is great. An SooAe could get me invested in a SyFy original so it was a nice refresher for me despite not being an original concept in the slightest.

Chucky

Jiggy and I had a discussion for House of 1000 Corpses, which can be heard below.

Jigsaw

Though we did like it more than you, so try not to be too disappointed in us.  [*laugh*]

CptDisaster

Ha, that was a great listen thank you gents, from what I gathered from your review the film seemed to have grown on you over multiple viewings.
Perhaps it is a guinness of the movie world that grows on you over time. Or perhaps it is vegemite and simply a love/hate kind of situation.
I feel like it started strong but degrades into a mess by the end.
Thank you very much for linking your review. It was nice to get your thoughts on it even if we had different feeling on it.
On my list for this evening is revisiting The Gate, a first watch of TCM(2013) and 3 From Hell after hearing it mentioned in your review. 3 From Hell some how passed me by completely as it was released during one of the busiest years of my life.

Jigsaw

I've still not seen 3 from Hell (I should probably check it out sometime soon, though), but I hope it goes reasonably well.

Jigsaw

To round up what I've seen in the last couple of weeks:

Wolf Country (2005) - 9/11/2021 [Rewatch]

Low-budget Scottish werewolf movie. Highlights are okay special effects and Peter Capaldi in a couple of sequences. Below average.

Amsterdamned (1988) - 9/13/2021 [Rewatch]

Very solid Dutch slasher. Beautiful setting in Amsterdam, and solid sequences throughout. Maybe runs a little long, but still quite worth it.

Goblin (2010) - 9/15/2021 [Rewatch]

Okay Syfy movie. Decent story and performances, but not among the best of Syfy films from the last ten years.

Wicked Little Things (2006) - 9/15/2021 [Rewatch]

This is a movie I recall liking more than I apparently do now. Pretty decent idea, but the story has some plot issues, and the film just isn't as good as I remember it being.

You're Not Getting Out Alive (2011) - 9/16/2021 [Rewatch]

Ultra-low budget slasher from Colorado. Very low-budget, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, and possessed some legit amusing portions (which makes sense, as it's a comedy-horror). No idea if this is even officially released, but I still quite like it.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) - 9/16/2021 [Rewatch]

Perhaps the second best Halloween movie (after the first), this is an almost perfect movie, and I've loved it since I was a kid. A lot of great scenes, and this just has a lot going for it.

Malignant (2021) - 9/18/2021 [New watch]

Surprisingly decent. There are a few plot issues, but there is a lot of style to this movie, and though it's not perfect, it does have some very solid action sequences.

Idle Hands (1999) - 9/19/2021 [Repeat Rewatch]

It's almost an average movie, but it's just too goofy at times. Seen this multiple times, and some scenes still stick with me ever since I was a kid, but it's just too silly at times to really get into.

Weaverfish (2013) - 9/21/2021 [Rewatch]

A nice British Cabin Fever-esque movie. Feels a little too somber at times, and possesses quite a lengthy set-up (almost an hour before the horror really hits hard), but I do quite love the story and the finale, which packs a strong emotional punch.

CptDisaster

Just finished Halloween Kills, not quite what I expected.
I came into this pretty cold and had a bit of fun.

The is challenging scenes (at least by blumhouse standards) particularly one scene in the hospital.
It was a very loud movie though, I feel like the score didn't have much room to breath.

Some decent kills , a strong opening sequence and the comfort of familiar faces i would give it a 6.
It has me at least curious about how they plan to wrap up this trilogy.
Sorry for the lack of details trying to avoid spoilers as its still quite new.

Jigsaw

Yeah, I wasn't blown away by Halloween Kills. I thought the kills were pretty solid down the line, but some of the story elements just bothered the hell out of me. Gave it an average rating myself.

If you're interested, you can read my full review here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.com/2021/10/15/halloween-kills-2021/

CptDisaster

Quote from: Jigsaw on October 20, 2021, 08:20:28 AM
Yeah, I wasn't blown away by Halloween Kills. I thought the kills were pretty solid down the line, but some of the story elements just bothered the hell out of me. Gave it an average rating myself.

If you're interested, you can read my full review here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.com/2021/10/15/halloween-kills-2021/

Great review and thanks for sharing, I had more fun reading your thoughts as I feel they expressed my thoughts more eloquently than I could.
I feel you are right about the duality of the film trying to keep a classic vibe in parts but also going over the top in gore compared to the original.
Unfortunately I don't think we see a restrained slasher movie anymore at least not from Blumhouse or an establish slasher franchise such as Halloween. I feel the new blood coming to these films or at least that which the studio thinks is coming to these films aren't interested in a suspenseful low gore horror movie when they see the name Halloween, Friday, Noes they have blood on their mind.

That is not to say suspenseful horror is dead, rather the studios producing these movies think it is. Anyway enough of my rambles, thanks again for sharing the review mate. ( I also didn't rewatch part 1 prior to watching Halloween Kills)