Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

What's the Last Horror Movie You Watched?

Started by L-Face, February 06, 2013, 12:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deathclaw

My last six...one being the most recent.....1. Scream 2. Urban Legend 3. The Blob (remake) 4. The Crazies (remake) 5. The Hills Have Eyes (original) 6.The Dead Hate The Living.  [*evil*]

Crash Dummie

Slither.

That movie was even better than I remembered. An awesome hommage to 80s horror comedies.

Jigsaw

Are We the Waiting (2017)

This is the first movie from 2017 I've seen, and the second Michael Taylor Pritt film I've been able to watch (Mile Before Sleep, which I previously reviewed, being the first one). And though this is Pritt's newest film, I actually preferred Miles Before Sleep. Before any of that, though, let's briefly discuss this movie. A group of five friends go to a secluded house to party before two of them defect to Canada, but shortly after getting there, they're stalked and killed off by a mysterious killer. The plot's simple enough, and honestly, the film doesn't throw many unique plot points out at you. The kills are decently done (especially one toward the end), but overall, I don't know how memorable they'd be. The design of the killer's mask (which is partially glow-in-the-dark) is pretty cool, and other small things, such as the atmosphere (save for the ending, which I'll expand on shortly) work out well. The acting's a mixed bag – I rather liked most of Pritt's acting, and others, such as Alyssa Cordial and Rob Pemberton, did a pretty good job, but some of Bridgette Kidd's lines felt forced. Actually, quite a bit of the dialogue was flaky, and sometimes fell a bit flat, but most of the time, that was tolerable. One of the places this was most notable, though, was the reveal of the killer. It felt a bit rushed, and I think that's something that could have been done better. The final ten minutes felt rather out of place, though. Obviously, I won't go over plot points, but let's say that the ending, in my opinion, came out of left field, and really, I didn't feel the final ten minutes were necessary. At an hour and 15 minutes (the final five minutes being credits), I think the movie could have been cut down a little bit, maybe trimming the ending (or removing it entirely) and a few scenes throughout the film. Miles Before Sleep, not counting the outtakes, was around 53 minutes, so given how this one was about twenty minutes longer, I couldn't help but feel as though it was dragging a few times throughout the film. All this said, it's a perfectly acceptable low-budget slasher flick. It's more formulaic than Miles Before Sleep was (or at least that's my impression), but I rather liked the group of friends as a whole, and thought that they did well together. It's a bit below average, but for a fan of lower-budget horror, it may well be worth checking out. 6/10.

JasonzSon

Alien: Covenant (2017)

I haven't seen such hotly diverse opinions of a film since, well, Prometheus, this film's predecessor. The film starts off as Prometheus 2 (it was originally going to have a Prometheus title, but the lukewarm reception to that film probably killed that idea, no matter the reason Ridley Scott gives), features a twist that makes it something completely different for a while, before going on to become an Alien-style confrontation. This movie does a decent job of demonstrating how the creatures in Prometheus became the ones in Alien (to the point that it causes me to re-evaluate my opinion of Prometheus, which I need to rewatch at some point) and provides some interesting scares, though some items are made painfully obvious earlier than they need to be. I enjoyed the film, but mileage tends to vary to an extreme extent so it may depend partially on your ability to suspend your disbelief. My rating: 7.5/10

RoughCut

A Cure for Wellness - Such a bizarre movie but some decent ideas

Rings - Don't know why I still put myself through these movies

OccasionalCthulhu

I know I've watched other horror movies since, but I'm drawing a huge blank so -

The Babadook (2014)

While I really enjoyed it and thought it was filmed and produced incredibly well, the ending left kind of a bad taste in my mouth. I also thought it kind of odd that The Babadook himself didn't have very much screen time at all, but can understand why they chose to do it that way.

Crash Dummie

The Babadook is one of my favorite horror movie.

I loved the ending: **SPOILERS**the monster is just a metaphor for grief, it doesn't actually exist in a physical form. The mother ignored her grief for years, and with the added stress of her overactive kid, whom she resents for "taking her husband from her", she went nuts, killed the dog and tried to murder her son.

The ending shows that instead for burying her grief and pretending everything is fine, she finally realizes that it will never go away, but that she can take control over it by acknowledging it's existence and tending to it.
**SPOILERS**

It was brilliant in my opinion.

Jigsaw

Have to say, Crash, you're one of the few horror peeps I've spoken to online who actually liked The Babadook. I too rather enjoyed it, despite it's oddness. But most other horror fans, alas, don't seem to have the same perspective.

Crash Dummie

That's baffling to me. I mean, I obviously love my Friday the 13ths, but most of them are shit cash grab movies with no artistic vision whatsoever.

The Babadook is an actual, legitimate, great film with a point to it.

JasonzSon

My last horror was Jurassic Park, which I watched for class, and am currently procrastinating writing a paper on. This wasn't my first time, but it was my first time in ages and the first time watching it immediately after reading the novel. As is usual for me, I like the book a lot more, but this is a better movie than I had realized in the past, especially now that I know enough about the process to notice some of the additions Spielberg made. This may well be another 9/10 for me.

Jigsaw

I'll never in my life be able to see that as a horror film, but I love it regardless. Still remember being six or seven years old, watching that. Never has a movie had such nostalgic value for me.

JasonzSon

Quote from: Jigsaw on June 20, 2017, 07:35:16 AM
I'll never in my life be able to see that as a horror film.
I almost referred to it as borderline, but then I realized that it's a kaiju film and a slasher flim at the same time (though the slasher aspects are toned down for the movie version) so it's hard to refer to it as anything else.

Jigsaw

Quote from: JasonzSon on June 20, 2017, 07:44:56 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw on June 20, 2017, 07:35:16 AM
I'll never in my life be able to see that as a horror film.
I almost referred to it as borderline, but then I realized that it's a kaiju film and a slasher flim at the same time (though the slasher aspects are toned down for the movie version) so it's hard to refer to it as anything else.

If we become busy enough to bring back MotW, and that's your first pick, I'll urge Chucky to veto it.  [*thumbsup*] [*winkgrin*]

Chucky

Quote from: Jigsaw on June 19, 2017, 06:39:08 AM
Have to say, Crash, you're one of the few horror peeps I've spoken to online who actually liked The Babadook. I too rather enjoyed it, despite it's oddness. But most other horror fans, alas, don't seem to have the same perspective.

I too enjoyed the movie but I only saw it once when it first came out. It's in my bluray collection, I just haven't gotten around to watching it again. Sometimes the opinion changes on the second viewing but I'm sure I'll still like it on the second viewing.

Jigsaw

Quote from: Chucky on June 20, 2017, 09:02:08 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw on June 19, 2017, 06:39:08 AM

I too enjoyed the movie but I only saw it once when it first came out. It's in my bluray collection, I just haven't gotten around to watching it again. Sometimes the opinion changes on the second viewing but I'm sure I'll still like it on the second viewing.

You're an Aussie - you have no choice but to like the movie.  [*winkgrin*]