Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Rank the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies

Started by Jigsaw, November 22, 2017, 01:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

A contentious topic, to be sure, but hell, it's fun.

Just rank the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies you've seen - see if any of our lists match up. I added both the 2010 remake and the 1993 Indian remake, called Mahakaal. If you've not seen it, I mildly recommend it. It's pretty wild.

From best to worst:

1) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
3) A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
4) A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
5) New Nightmare (1994)
6) Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
7) Mahakaal (1993)
8) Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
9) A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989)
10) A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Some of these placements might need further consideration, but it's good for a start.

What say you?

Chucky

I don't even think Mahakaal is deserving of being called anything more than just a rip-off. I did watch a bunch of it a long time ago but should probably watch it in full, maybe when I see a decent quality transfer of it.

I like Freddy but it has been a long time since I sat down and watched a lot of those sequels. The original is definitely #1 for me, as I have a lot of memories of first seeing Freddy with those long extended arms at the beginning of the movie which freaked me out as a kid.

I'll have to revisit the rest of them before ranking anything else. I know I didn't enjoy any of them as much as the original though, I know that much for sure.

Jigsaw

No doubt Mahakaal was a rip-off, but it did have some original creepy scenes not found in the original series. Plus, some of those musical numbers were catchy.  [*laugh*]

In all seriousness, though, even if Mahakaal is a rip-off, it still had more heart and soul than the 2010 remake and, at the very least, The Dream Child (which I maintain is consistently worse than Freddy's Dead).

In many aspects, I found Mahakaal a cool and fun viewing. I'd still recommend that any NOES fan gives it a viewing, if for no other reason to see what another culture does with a Freddy-like character.

JasonzSon

Using only what I've seen:

9) Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
8) A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989)
7) Lawnmower Dog (2013)
6) A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
5) A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
4) Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
3) Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
1) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Chucky

You've got Freddy's Dead on there twice. What's Lawnmower Dog?  [*odd*]

Jigsaw

Quote from: JasonzSon on November 25, 2017, 05:10:06 PM
Using only what I've seen:

I'll be honest - Freddy vs. Jason was pretty good the first few times I've seen it, but the more I watch it, the less I care for it (which, actually, is about the same as New Nightmare for me).

I thought the 4th was when the series started going downhill (though I will forever think the fifth is worse than the sixth), but I still enjoyed it more upon rewatch than FvJ.

But I'm strange like that. :P

JasonzSon

Chucky

Oh yes, I have watched all 3 seasons of Rick and Morty but uh.... it's not a Freddy movie, no matter how much you want it to be.  [*tsktsk*]

JasonzSon

Dorkus

Awesome
Dream Warriors
Original

Good
New Nightmare

Dumb but Fun
Dream Master
Freddy vs Jason

[*odd*]
Freddy's Revenge

Doo Doo Butter
Dream Master
Freddy's Dead
Remake

Chucky

Dream Master got the 'dumb but fun' and 'doo doo butter' awards?