Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

The Walking Dead

Started by L-Face, February 05, 2013, 11:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

Quote from: Shadow on February 06, 2013, 05:33:01 AM
He does do his damnedest when he and his group have their backs to the wall... no doubt about it. But seems as if every time he finally gets into that spot that he wants, he shoots down everyone (figuratively, not literally) in the same position that they themselves were just in.
Well, those people aren't his people.

Dorkus

Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 05:22:32 AM
Quote from: Shadow on February 06, 2013, 04:40:04 AM
Walking Dead is pretty much the only reason I watch any television anymore, sort of like L. The plot and character development is top notch, I think.

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 04:16:21 AMI just think Rick is really unlikeable for some reason
L and I were talking about this not too long ago... I feel the same way. My problem with him is that whenever his group is in need of something, he'll beg and plead and cry for them all... but when someone not from the group, with less than them, attempts to do the same thing he tries to act like some hardass. He needs to pick a side and stick with it- either be the caring guy, or the asshole.

As for Andrea... she's nothing more than a power hungry cock sucker (literally). Every dude she comes across that has power she latches on to like a leech. Wouldn't surprise me if she'd have latched onto Rick if she'd of been given the chance. Not to mention she has this complex to her where she constantly needs to throw herself out there as Xena or something, while simultaneously either failing or putting others in danger.

And I think the same as most people: Darryl kicks ass, and is my favorite character.  Carl is kind of growing on me now, too.
The bolded: I've literally never seen it that way. At all. Anytime he's needed anything, he did his damnedest to convince the people to help him and realize that his group could be a help to them in return. As far as him being a murderous psychopath goes? Every one of his murders has been justified, unlike Shane. Otis didn't deserve to die. But the bandits Rick killed in the bar? It was obvious they were going to try something. Same with when he killed Shane.

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 04:42:50 AM
I should mention that I really like The Governor, so maybe my sense of morality is a bit skewed.  [*uhoh*]
I find it funny you say that when he and Rick aren't so different.

The Governor isn't played as a hero though. Rick is downright villainous to me sometimes ("this isn't a democracy anymore because I say so").

Hitler said something similar. :P

L-Face

Godwin's Law: Engaged.

I'd probably go the same route Rick did. Having a bunch of people trying to decide what was best for the group simply had them running in circles. But with Rick taking charge, they became a well oiled machine. Sure, they lost a few cogs along the way, but they're much stronger because of it.

Shadow

Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 05:36:07 AMWell, those people aren't his people.
Exactly.

So instead of treating them based off of their merits, giving his group a chance to grow and become stronger, he does what he can to slide his group in like a parasite then decides to go the route of "Fuck you, I got mine." Very classy of him. I know I wouldn't want to follow a leader like that... I'd much rather have someone that would stick to their guns (again, figuratively, not literally) one way or the other. I just feel it's just too underhanded for someone that their trying to cast as the main hero of the group.

L-Face

The whole show is centered around making tough decisions. While it explores characters fairly well, what it doesn't show or explore is how Rick deals with the actions he makes. At least, when they're actions that don't pertain to members of his group. One can only assume and those assumptions can turn out to be wrong.

Either way, after all the shit he's gone through, I'm still able to sympathize with him despite his more recent actions. He's not a hero. He's human and humans make mistakes.

Dorkus

Good points.

I think the only true "good" character in the show was Dale. Glenn and Carol too, but both are a little too weak to lead a group.

Shadow

I don't consider him making the conscious decision to exclude other less fortunate people out of the group, even though they have a chance to prove their worth, a mistake. While I definitely agree with him a good portion of the time, and I do sympathize with him, that is simply one of the areas that I think he has a huge fault on... especially when others in the group oppose those decisions.

"In the end, he [Dale] was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. ... From now on we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale."

Meaning I've yet to see this quote come into play from him, yet.

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 05:58:13 AMI think the only true "good" character in the show was Dale. Glenn and Carol too, but both are a little too weak to lead a group.
Honestly I think Hershel could pull it off, if he had to. He's really the only other person aside from Darryl I could see leading the group if something were to happen to Rick. And honestly, I don't even think Darryl would be the kind of person to want to lead the group... not for very long, at least.

L-Face

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 05:58:13 AM
Good points.

I think the only true "good" character in the show was Dale. Glenn and Carol too, but both are a little too weak to lead a group.
Yeah, I was bummed when they killed Dale off. And while Glenn may not be strong enough to lead the group, his strengths still make him stand out and make him super useful. As far as Carol goes, I'm glad she's finally starting to come into her own. Especially after the shit she put up with in Season 1.

Quote from: Shadow on February 06, 2013, 06:04:23 AM
I don't consider him making the conscious decision to exclude other less fortunate people out of the group, even though they have a chance to prove their worth, a mistake. While I definitely agree with him a good portion of the time, and I do sympathize with him, that is simply one of the areas that I think he has a huge fault on... especially when others in the group oppose those decisions.
Perhaps I'm reading this wrong or you phrased it improperly, but if his group disagrees with him and you see it as a fault, is that not a mistake?

Dorkus

In fairness to Rick, right after saying that quote about Dale, Shane tried to kill him. I'm guessing he just realized that Dales ways weren't going to work.

Shadow

Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 06:07:41 AMPerhaps I'm reading this wrong or you phrased it improperly, but if his group disagrees with him and you see it as a fault, is that not a mistake?
Not necessarily, since not only leaders, but groups can make mistakes.

The way I see it: unintended consequences from making a decision are where mistakes spring from. It isn't a "mistake" on Rick's part, because he knows fully what he's doing when he excludes people. If that makes any sense now.

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 06:16:50 AMIn fairness to Rick, right after saying that quote about Dale, Shane tried to kill him. I'm guessing he just realized that Dales ways weren't going to work.
Rick knew Shane was crazy long before then, and had it out for him. SpoilersHell, they had both nearly got eaten because they were trying to kill each other before Dale was even close to danger. It shouldn't have come as a surprise that Shane was going to kill him again. Hell, even Dale realized Shane needed to go... he just couldn't pull the trigger. /spoilers.

gorefan1428

one of the best shows on tv at the moment for sure.

Im interested to see whats going to happen with merle. will he try to rejoin the group in some way or what kinds of conflict he will cause between daryl and the group?

Dorkus

It took me a while to realize who Merle was.

Crash Dummie

L-Face

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 10:04:45 AM
It took me a while to realize who Merle was.
He was also Svenning in Marllrats and Grant Grant in Slither.

Shadow

Quote from: gorefan1428 on February 06, 2013, 10:00:02 AMone of the best shows on tv at the moment for sure.

Im interested to see whats going to happen with merle. will he try to rejoin the group in some way or what kinds of conflict he will cause between daryl and the group?
Definitely going to be one of the big points in the next episode. I'm wondering what Merle's attitude is going to be like, now that he and the governor aren't on the greatest terms anymore.