Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

The Walking Dead

Started by L-Face, February 05, 2013, 11:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorkus

Quote from: L-Face on February 20, 2013, 02:15:22 AM
A guy that murdered an entire platoon, killed a helpless helicopter pilot, and put their heads in fish tanks. Yep, sure haven't shown how evil he was until the episode this past Sunday.  [*rolleyes*]

And yet, still more likable than Rick. :P

Doomed Knight

you prefer the Governor over Rick?

L-Face

Quote from: gorefan1428 on February 20, 2013, 12:38:32 PM
Quote from: L-Face on February 20, 2013, 02:15:22 AM
A guy that murdered an entire platoon, killed a helpless helicopter pilot, and put their heads in fish tanks. Yep, sure haven't shown how evil he was until the episode this past Sunday.  [*rolleyes*]
well you could almost not even consider the first two acts evil. These guys were trained soldiers and the actions could have been taken as just protecting the town.
How is killing a defenseless, bed ridden person "protecting the town?" 

As for the platoon, if his interests were in protecting the town, he could have crafted a better lie than "they were overrun with walkers by the time we got there, so we just took their shit." Could have given a big ass speech about the platoon opening fire on them, not being open to the help the Governor and his men were offering, so the Governor was left with no choice but to kill them. Then say something about how, "It's sad that sometimes the scariest thing about what's going on isn't the Walkers, but ourselves." At least then he would have looked like a sympathetic hero to the town instead of someone who just lucked into the gig.

DeraiLer

Killing a defenseless bed ridden person who wasn't part of his community, would suck up resources and food and may have loyalties to others and not you seems more like logic leading than emotion. The world is in shit and you hold the security of your own people priority over all else including outsiders seems like something many factions would come down to doing. Now I wasn't happy when he gunned down the soldiers but if he was right and they did find his place and did decide to take it for themselves, he would have been fucked trying to take on armed, highly trained soldiers. My humanity may have said to give them a chance but my survival instincts would have taken down a possible threat.
The heads in the jar thing was just confusing. They never really explained why those were there until this past episode. hence this episode being the one starting to show just how vile he is. Until now, he was just a hardcore leader with no interest in outsiders.

L-Face

If sucking up resources or having loyalties to another group were issues or factors in his killing and beheading a bed ridden man, then why did he invite both Andrea and Michonne to stay?

DeraiLer

That's a whole different category. End of the world, you wanna stock up on food, ammo and bitches.

L-Face

They already had plenty of women there, though. Ratio was probably even from what I saw.

Doomed Knight

I'd say that, the reason why he kills and steals from people like the Army, is because if he would invite them in his city, and they found out his "dirty little secrets" it would be harder to defend against them than a regular Clerk or Doctor.

look how it was easy for him to tell Andrea "live here, be happy, you don't need weapons, do as I say, you'll be happy"

and look how michonne Reacted. you can compare her to the soldier. they pretty much would have reacted the same way.
he wounld't have been able to control them, and maybe the soldiers might have want to take control over Woodbury.

and By having Andrea in his palm, he thought Michonne woulnd't do shit.

DeraiLer

Quote from: L-Face on February 21, 2013, 03:11:51 AM
They already had plenty of women there, though. Ratio was probably even from what I saw.

I want a specific count of men to women ratio! now!

L-Face

Shadow

Quote from: Doomed Knight on February 21, 2013, 03:14:00 AMI'd say that, the reason why he kills and steals from people like the Army, is because if he would invite them in his city, and they found out his "dirty little secrets" it would be harder to defend against them than a regular Clerk or Doctor.

look how it was easy for him to tell Andrea "live here, be happy, you don't need weapons, do as I say, you'll be happy"

and look how michonne Reacted. you can compare her to the soldier. they pretty much would have reacted the same way.
he wounld't have been able to control them, and maybe the soldiers might have want to take control over Woodbury.

and By having Andrea in his palm, he thought Michonne woulnd't do shit.
Never really thought of the whole comparison of Andrea/Michonne to civilians/soldiers before. I mean... I knew the similarities were there, just not that precise comparison. Pretty neat.

L-Face

Quote from: Doomed Knight on February 21, 2013, 03:14:00 AM
I'd say that, the reason why he kills and steals from people like the Army, is because if he would invite them in his city, and they found out his "dirty little secrets" it would be harder to defend against them than a regular Clerk or Doctor.
Thing is, bringing the army to Woodbury seems as if it was never an option for the Governor. He went after them with the intent of killing them and taking their stuff. In doing so, I think a glimpse of how sadistic he could be was shown. Instead of straight up killing them, which would have been pretty dastardly, he says, "Hey, we found your friend the pilot we have him in our town. We can take you to him if you like." Then he executes them. It was an action that makes it seem as if he's the kind of guy that plays with his food before he eats it which was kind of furthered in his assault on the prison. Instead of finishing the job, he kills one person and then fires wildly in the air.

DeraiLer

The show has failed to convey it effectively. Shooting the soldiers moment just had us saying "wtf? ok.." same as the heads in jars scenes. i think they need to work on their presentation more because scenes that should have punch just fail to impact.

Doomed Knight

I understand the way L explained it, to show that Governor is fucked up. sadistic and w/e.
but De is Right about the presentation too.

yeah ok first time we saw the Aquarium with the heads we are like "wtf" which is pretty much what they wanted to show. he is crazy.
but when he explained why... I'm sorry but no. no normal person would put heads in a jar to "get used to the dead, and what's happening outside" he is fucked up.

and Andrea kinda understood it... she's dumb.

(((for his little girl, to think she would come back, I say that's ok. not the first time we see that, think back to Herschel's family.)))

we do not even know why he built a city. he just wanted his daughter back. the citizen didn't do shit except "partying".
they didn't even build ressources. he just had to be with his mercenary and his Scientist.
he didn't need others.
for his own fun because he couldn't play the Sims anymore?

that part was just to explain that I don't understand this character, I don't find him underdeveloped (like Michonne) I just find him weird, and I don't get why Dorkus likes him better as a Chef than Rick.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I understand the fact that a character might take time to develop. just look at Carl, he might be growing into something big, in the Comic, he's one badass Survivor.
Beth is just there to be there, and she's the one takes care of the baby. but she doesn't do anything great/outstanding, so we don't need to understand her for now.

but when it comes to a Big character, especially who's the main Antagonist, someone we will see a lot, we need to hate him. (and we need good actors too to feel it, Ex: Merle) but not only that.

but if it's over in the next epsiode or two, they clear out  the zombie, go for the Governor and kill him. andrea gets back (or not, who cares I hate her)
will anything change? Will the group be stronger? Will they understand somethong trivial in life to survive longer?
was that season a great developpement?  or was it just to get Merle back in the group IF he comes back.

the second season: "we look for sophia" I thought it was more interesting.

aaaaaand I don't remember where I was going with that. let's just say I gave another of my opinion about the show.

I love the show, but there are some Characters that I don't understand.

gorefan1428

Quote from: DeraiLer on February 21, 2013, 03:04:59 AM
That's a whole different category. End of the world, you wanna stock up on food, ammo and bitches.

Quote from: L-Face on February 21, 2013, 03:11:51 AM

no one likes a sausage party  [*tsktsk*]  except maybe shadow, even is not acceptable