Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Saturday Morning Cartoons

Started by JasonzSon, February 05, 2013, 03:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonzSon

I'm sure here people here have something they watch and/or keep up on.  My own Saturday evening checklist:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - while technically this is a Friday show, I'm going to count it here.  Despite initially being wary of the art and tone, this is actually a pretty good adaptation, and taking darker turns as it goes on.  I'm curious to see how it goes.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - I think everything there is to say about this has been said on the internet.  So, I won't bother.

Green Lantern: The Animated Series - It took me a little bit to get used to the loose hand this show has with continuity.  Noting that, the only gripe I can legitimately have is taking a position from a female who really deserved it and giving it to an annoying male character for absolutely no reason.

Doctor Who - While technically not a cartoon, and it probably doesn't air in the Morning, this does air on Saturdays.  Not much to say about something that's off the air for another two months, though.

gorefan1428

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 05, 2013, 03:40:41 PM
I'm sure here people here have something they watch and/or keep up on.  My own Saturday evening checklist:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - I think everything there is to say about this has been said on the internet.  So, I won't bother.

[*uhoh*]

Giddins

adventure time. got stoned and watched it with friend. tripped balls. was awesome

Shadow

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 05, 2013, 03:40:41 PMMy Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
You're dead to me.

As for cartoons I watch? I haven't really seen any for quite some time. When I am watching something it is usually on Netflix, and usually some sort of prime time tv show.

We listing any cartoons we used to watch as a kid? I could make laundry lists about those, then.

Akasha

I'm still as obsessed with The Simpsons and South Park as before. There isn't a week that goes by without at least a few episodes.
It's funny how I'm starting to watch old dutch cartoons again with my son.  [*happy*] One of my favorite times together.
Aiden also loves Road Runner!

Crash Dummie

Quote from: Giddins on February 05, 2013, 03:44:31 PM
adventure time. got stoned and watched it with friend. tripped balls. was awesome
Adventure Time is awesome even when you're sober.

L-Face

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 06, 2013, 12:01:43 AM
It comes off as yet another show that's being random for the sake of random. It doesn't look funny, at all. I honestly don't see the appeal in it.

Crash Dummie

I don't think of it that way. Family Guy would be random for the sake of being random only, but Adventure Time has fun characters, narratives, dialogues and it hints as a rather dark backstory.

There are remnants of human civilization as we know it, but Finn is the only human character to be found. Everyone else has to be from another world, or horribly mutated by the radiations of a past war.

L-Face

Maybe earlier Family Guy was random for the sake of random. Not so much anymore from what I've seen. Adventure Time comes off as yet another cartoon trying to capture what Ren and Stimpy had, yet looks nowhere near it's level. Every commercial I've seen for it has been super fucking obnoxious and has made me want to avoid Cartoon Network like the plague.

Crash Dummie

The Animaniacs or (ugh) the Mega Babies were obvious Ren and Stimpy rip offs (at least the former was decent), but Adventure Time feels really different. But hey, if it's not your thing, it's fine.

DrumrbaxJ

Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 12:08:09 AM
It comes off as yet another show that's being random for the sake of random. It doesn't look funny, at all. I honestly don't see the appeal in it.

Then you have missed the horrifically dark undertones this show has. Nuclear apocalypse, characters literally losing their minds to become someone else, a male character wanting to be female, a child being born with a birth defect, the absolute loneliness of being the last of your race, the advance of AI. The show is fucking amazing and deserves your respect.

L-Face

Quote from: DrumrbaxJ on February 06, 2013, 12:14:54 AM
Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 12:08:09 AM

Then you have missed the horrifically dark undertones this show has. Nuclear apocalypse, characters literally losing their minds to become someone else, a male character wanting to be female, a child being born with a birth defect, the absolute loneliness of being the last of your race, the advance of AI. The show is fucking amazing and deserves your respect.
When the commercials cease to be obnoxious and gives me a reason to even give it a watch, perhaps then it will get the respect you think I should give it. But that's not likely considering Cartoon Network tries to cater to the lowest common denominator with everything they have on now (see the Annoying Orange.) 

DrumrbaxJ

They go for ten minutes. Take out the time and just give it a watch. You have a computer. Watch it while sitting on this site. Watch a few. Give them a chance. If you still don't like them, then I acquiesce.

JasonzSon

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 06, 2013, 12:14:37 AM
The Animaniacs or (ugh) the Mega Babies were obvious Ren and Stimpy rip offs (at least the former was decent), but Adventure Time feels really different. But hey, if it's not your thing, it's fine.
Dude, Animaniacs?  Which was designed to be, if anything a modern version of Looney Tunes and introduced some of the most memorable cartoons of its era?  You shall be the first one destroyed when Brain takes over the world!

Crash Dummie

I loved it, but it took a page from John K.'s book just as much as the old WB's cartoons one.