Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Official Pro-Wrestling Thread

Started by Dorkus, February 05, 2013, 01:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorkus

I've always been a fan of The Rock, but I'm not enjoying his run much. It could just be because I was younger and more immature, but his jokes are cringeworthy now (though I swear there at least used to be some wit to his jokes). Not as cringeworthy as Cenas, but still.

Giddins

the whole "them not liking heel punk" is what wwe want. even if it's because "informed fans" don't like the gimmic. heat is still heat either way.

cm punk is good. very good. if you watch the "pipebomb" promo from 2011. they watch the one he did a few weeks ago. you'll see that he says much the same thing. but says it differently enough so that the first one was a face promo and the second was a heel promo.

someone who i don't think gets enough credit from "informed fans" is cena. what gets me most is the "5 moved of doom" hate. if you look at stone cold in the late 90s. he did something like 4 moves in a match most of the time. i'm not trying to say that austin isn't good becaust isn't true at all. i love stone cold. just saying that cena should get more credit. and come on he cuts some of the best promos.

Crash Dummie

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 04:58:30 AM
I've always been a fan of The Rock, but I'm not enjoying his run much. It could just be because I was younger and more immature, but his jokes are cringeworthy now (though I swear there at least used to be some wit to his jokes). Not as cringeworthy as Cenas, but still.
The fact that his act, or jokes, havent changed in the least in 10 years don't help him. He has tremendous charisma and talent, but it sorts of goes to waste right now.

Dorkus

As a wrestler, John Cena is extremely underrated.

As a speaker...he can cut a damn fine promo when he's not making jokes. Unfortunately that's not a lot. It's not really his fault though, it's the writing team of soap opera rejects.

Crash Dummie

Seriously. He's a good wrestler, and a good talker.

I just hate it when his promos go nowhere (like that one about what people do on their sundays), and when the story of the match dictates that he needs to get run over by a train 3 times, kick out each time and hit one finisher to win.

He's perfectly capable of having good matches while looking strong and making his opponents look good, so why do otherwise?

Giddins

he's going to drop the title at mania most likely and then fuck off again. thats what i don't really like.

i liked his monday night raw rock concert. i thought it was fun. and i love when he starts swaring that the guy on the beep button can't keep up. that makes me smile because i always thing someone out the back is cursing the rock.

Giddins

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 05:06:30 AM

hes only a shit wrestler because wwe don't let him do much on raw. they want their good matches on ppvs and don't want top billing wrestlers getting hurt before then. when he irst rocked up and had that match with angle. that was an awesome match.

L-Face

Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 05:06:30 AM

As a speaker...he can cut a damn fine promo when he's not making jokes. Unfortunately that's not a lot. It's not really his fault though, it's the writing team of soap opera rejects.
I don't think Cena's underrated at all. It just takes someone to drag a good match out of him. His matches with Punk have been fantastic. Even his TLC match against Ziggler was great. Seeing Cena bust out a hurricanrana (even if it was sloppy) was still impressive.

As far as his promo ability goes, it's deteriorated a lot in recent years. I don't remember the last time he made me give a shit about something by talking it up. But that's just me. The problem isn't just his shitty promos as of late, it's the fact that he's consistently shoved down the audience's throat. Always gets undeserved title shots. Does things and then calls people out for doing the same things he's done saying they're not "honorable." There's a lot of hypocrisy with his character which is where a lot of the hate comes from. In my eyes, it's much deserved. The writers really aren't doing him any favors in that regard. 

Shadow

Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 05:13:46 AMThe problem isn't just his shitty promos as of late, it's the fact that he's consistently shoved down the audience's throat. Always gets undeserved title shots. Does things and then calls people out for doing the same things he's done saying they're not "honorable." There's a lot of hypocrisy with his character which is where a lot of the hate comes from. In my eyes, it's much deserved. The writers really aren't doing him any favors in that regard.
Amen. I feel like he could be a much better, much more likeable character, if they would just get rid of the writing staff that they currently have.

To be honest, I think all, not just Cena, would benefit much more that way.

L-Face

I agree with that. Dolph Ziggler should be a pretty big deal considering he has a briefcase that allows him to get a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship whenever he desires. Yet he's either losing to Cena or just coming off as an idiot for not cashing in at an opportune time.

Right now, aside from Punk and Daniel Bryan, the only thing I'm enjoying is the Shield. Mostly because they've been attacking people I'm not particularly fond of.

Reign in Blood

Quote from: Shadow on February 06, 2013, 04:52:01 AM
Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 02:51:47 AMI'm glad you guys like heel Punk.
How can you NOT like him, regardless of him being heel or face? The guy can shit charisma, makes a sandwich out of it for you, and you will like it.

Also, The Rock is pretty much in the shitter for me. Too many times has he come back to WWE, saying he's here to stay for good this time, only to disappear literally the next show. I'm not a fan of Cena's character, but at least the fucker shows up on a consistent basis. Makes me think the only reason he came back was because they promised him the title, and another Mania spotlight.

It's because the Rock doesn't need the WWE, they need him. Cena would be bagging groceries if he wasn't sucking McMahon off.

L-Face

Quote from: Reign in Blood on February 06, 2013, 06:42:29 AM
Quote from: Dorkus on February 06, 2013, 02:51:47 AMI'm glad you guys like heel Punk.
How can you NOT like him, regardless of him being heel or face? The guy can shit charisma, makes a sandwich out of it for you, and you will like it.

Also, The Rock is pretty much in the shitter for me. Too many times has he come back to WWE, saying he's here to stay for good this time, only to disappear literally the next show. I'm not a fan of Cena's character, but at least the fucker shows up on a consistent basis. Makes me think the only reason he came back was because they promised him the title, and another Mania spotlight.

It's because the Rock doesn't need the WWE, they need him. Cena would be bagging groceries if he wasn't sucking McMahon off.
Rock wouldn't be where he is right now without WWE. And everytime he has a shitty movie to shill, he's the one that goes to them. Without them, he'd be a bouncer in some night club.

Reign in Blood

Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 06:44:42 AM

Rock wouldn't be where he is right now without WWE. And everytime he has a shitty movie to shill, he's the one that goes to them. Without them, he'd be a bouncer in some night club.

Granted, they did help make him a star. But don't act like Vince isn't there with open arms for all the extra exposure and money the Rock brings to just roll out of bed, rattle off a couple one liners and beat someone at the PPV. He comes and goes as he pleases because he has all the clout, and Vince eats it up with a spoon.

Shadow

Quote from: Reign in Blood on February 06, 2013, 06:56:18 AMGranted, they did help make him a star. But don't act like Vince isn't there with open arms for all the extra exposure and money the Rock brings to just roll out of bed, rattle off a couple one liners and beat someone at the PPV. He comes and goes as he pleases because he has all the clout, and Vince eats it up with a spoon.
Good point... by this point it's almost like a symbiotic relationship now.

L-Face

Quote from: Reign in Blood on February 06, 2013, 06:56:18 AM
Quote from: L-Face on February 06, 2013, 06:44:42 AM

Granted, they did help make him a star. But don't act like Vince isn't there with open arms for all the extra exposure and money the Rock brings to just roll out of bed, rattle off a couple one liners and beat someone at the PPV. He comes and goes as he pleases because he has all the clout, and Vince eats it up with a spoon.
Vince is like that with anyone that's made him money. Hogan, Austin, HBK, Rock, Bret, etc.