Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

So what the hell have you been up to?

Started by Shadow, September 13, 2014, 04:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Well as far as I'm going I've been pretty busy with work.

It's gotten to be a fairly common excuse for me, but I should be starting to get more free time now. I just finished my "mandatory" schooling a couple of weeks ago, which will give me my big final raise. Now I can take (or not take) any extracurricular classes I feel like to move along even further.

Outside of that just been doing a lot of gaming... waiting for the Steam summer sale in a little bit.

I also got a dog!

Crash Dummie

Enjoying the single lifestyle, actively working on my social anxiety and pushing a stupid joke way too far: https://www.facebook.com/TheKaraoKings/

Jigsaw

Quick update on my part:

I went to college for a political science major, and a sociology and history double minor. Left school at the end of my junior year due to a long period of severe depression, culminating in suicidal thoughts. Continued living in the college town with friends, which had it's pros and cons.

Got deeply involved with the Bernie Sanders campaign in 2015, organizing meetings and the like in the city I lived in, and afterward, got involved, to a lesser degree, with Jill Stein's campaign.

My father died in 2015 due to cancer, causing another bout of depression, and while I'm certainly better, I possess more than a few unresolved issues regarding that.

Right now, I am living with my mother and brother in Columbia City, Indiana, in a quaint little apartment. I am working at a nearby superstore (Meijer - they have locations in six states at the moment, but are certainly expanding), and an saving up for whatever I feel is best (be it a car of which I've never owned, or an apartment of my own).

While certainly not the ideal life, my mother has medical problems of her own right now, and to be completely honest, even though I'm 23, I am in no quick hurry to move out. It's simply more convenient financially and otherwise to remain living with her.

My hobbies include talking (arguing) about politics, watching horror films, and listening to music.

Very glad this site it back up and more active, and happy to be re-acquainted with you all.

JasonzSon

Quote from: Jigsaw on June 20, 2017, 12:20:58 PM
I went to college for a political science major, and a sociology and history double minor.
How was Soc? I'm taking my first Soc class in the Fall, and the Minors that I'm thinking of taking up involve a lot of Soc classes/Independent Studies.

Shadow

So how's the family life been going for your Jiggy? Any good news or same conditions?

Quote from: JasonzSon on June 20, 2017, 12:36:46 PMHow was Soc? I'm taking my first Soc class in the Fall, and the Minors that I'm thinking of taking up involve a lot of Soc classes/Independent Studies.
Sociology can be pretty interesting. While I had been getting my degree I was fairly close to getting a sociology/anthropology double minor. It's one of those where a professor with experience in what they're talking about really pays off.

JasonzSon

Quote from: Shadow on June 20, 2017, 03:03:33 PM
Sociology can be pretty interesting. While I had been getting my degree I was fairly close to getting a sociology/anthropology double minor. It's one of those where a professor with experience in what they're talking about really pays off.
I don't actually know how this works out in other schools, but at WCSU the vast majority of the Sociology and Anthropology courses count as both. As a result, if someone takes the two intro courses in each subject and then takes four more, they would most likely earn both minors. I actually just looked up the requirements for just that reason, but since I'm not planning to take the intro courses to those subjects I wouldn't get it myself.

Jigsaw

Quote from: JasonzSon on June 20, 2017, 12:36:46 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw on June 20, 2017, 12:20:58 PM
I went to college for a political science major, and a sociology and history double minor.
How was Soc? I'm taking my first Soc class in the Fall, and the Minors that I'm thinking of taking up involve a lot of Soc classes/Independent Studies.

I think the subject's extremely interesting - problematically, my Sociology 100 course was atrocious, not due to the content, but because of the way the professor taught. I felt like I was back in high school or middle school - that's how easy it was. Didn't help it was a Tuesday/Thursday class, and lasted an hour and 45 minutes.

Ironically, I was somewhat close to failing just because the class was so boring, I had to force myself to go. :p

That aside, every other Sociology course I took was interesting, and rewarding in their own way.

RoughCut

Glad to see the site properly back up man. I closed my website about 4 years ago but still miss it and would love to go back to it but I was never a writer  [*laugh*]

Shadow

Quote from: JasonzSon on June 20, 2017, 03:33:27 PMI don't actually know how this works out in other schools, but at WCSU the vast majority of the Sociology and Anthropology courses count as both. As a result, if someone takes the two intro courses in each subject and then takes four more, they would most likely earn both minors. I actually just looked up the requirements for just that reason, but since I'm not planning to take the intro courses to those subjects I wouldn't get it myself.
At ASU they don't count as both, but some of them do criss-cross when choosing classes for your major on either side. It makes perfect sense since either can be relevant to the other. I mainly just took it, particularly anthropology, because it dealt more with history.

Evil1

Well I see a few familiar names! Nice to see you guys are still around.

As for myself i cannot recall the last time i was really on. So I went to college for 1.5 years, found that the field was not right for me, among other issues. Then i moved back home, worked at walmart for about 4 years, then i got a state job, and last fall due to the passing of a friend i've taken a part time too to keep the business he ran going. Basically I'm either at work, going to work, or getting ready for work about 11-12 hours a day during the weekdays.

Shadow

Sounds like you've been busy. Just curious but what was the state job and what is the business you took over?

Evil1

Eh it's just a custodial job at an area college, it's a pretty nice job really. I didn't take over the business i just work there part time, the owner (my friend managed it, but didn't own the business) had his grandson step into the manager position but he's really green. It's a vacuum repair/sales place.

Shadow

I used to do cleaning for clean rooms during college. It was actually really interesting seeing all the machines/assembly lines up close. At least you get to hang around college girls. [*browwink*]

Evil1

I'm sure that was interesting, were they producing circuit boards or something? I'm working in the science buildings so I do see interesting things, the floors i'm on focus on biology though so there's not much for equipment.

Eh I'm not after the women  [*hibaby*]

Jigsaw

Quote from: Evil1 on July 15, 2017, 12:21:42 PM
I'm sure that was interesting, were they producing circuit boards or something? I'm working in the science buildings so I do see interesting things, the floors i'm on focus on biology though so there's not much for equipment.

Eh I'm not after the women  [*hibaby*]

This might be incredibly sad, but that fact is about all I clearly recalled about you.

Here's to new memories.  [*thumbsup*]  [*hibaby*]