Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Favorite Non-Horror Film of all Time

Started by JasonzSon, February 05, 2013, 06:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonzSon

We have a favorite horror film thread, so I thought I'd put in a non-horror film thread.

Let's kick it off with Empire Strikes Back- good humor, good action, good drama, and maybe more important for me in a film, great tone and aesthetic.  This was the most collaborative effort of all the Star Wars films, and it shows.

Jigsaw

Too many. Don't make me list every single one. [*no*]

One of my all-time favorite movies is It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Woman (1964), and another one would be Clue (1985). Also, Murder by Death (1974) is fantastic.

L-Face

Think I'm going to have to go with Young Frankenstein. It's one of the few movies I can quote from beginning to end and one of the few movies I can watch over and over again and never get tired of it. Not only is it my favorite non-horror film, but it's also my favorite comedy film.

Crash Dummie

Rocky. I love everything about it. Whatever complain anyone might have about the film, they're wrong and it's a good thing.

It might just be a simple underdog story who achieves the american dream (sort of), but it was so well played out and it mirrored Stallone's reality so close that it's a somewhat accidental masterpiece.

Many scenes from it were parodied ad-nauseum through the years, but in the context of the movie, it's hard not to want to run stairs up with kick ass music, or not get teary eyed when Rocky, crying for Adrian, proved to the world he could stay the distance with a boxer that was bigger, better, faster, stronger and smarter than him.

Akasha

Kill Bill vol.1 (and 2) as it was originally one movie in its whole length. Quentin is a God!!!

Chucky

Kickboxer 2: The Road Back. You can also watch entire movie here:

DrumrbaxJ

I just saw Django Unchained recently and it was fucking excellent. Truly a masterpiece of modern film.
My other favourite would be, funnily enough, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
I like cowboys, ok?

gorefan1428

Quote from: Jigsaw on February 05, 2013, 07:00:11 AM
Too many. Don't make me list every single one. [*no*]

, and another one would be Clue (1985)

This is a great movie one of my favorite non horror films as well. have never seen a movie that matches it's up tempo.

universal soldier is also high on my list.

Don't think i have ever had a favorite non horror film per say.

Reign in Blood

A lot of Van Damme love in here, Universal Soldier, Kickboxer. Excellent.

DrumrbaxJ

Oh. And I classify all three Star Wars films as a favourite. They're a trilogy so I can do that. It's in the rules.

Akasha

Quote from: Reign in Blood on February 05, 2013, 08:11:14 PM
A lot of Van Damme love in here, Universal Soldier, Kickboxer. Excellent.

Belgium, baby! [*deal*]

Chucky

Well, technically... Van Damme is not in Kickboxer 2... his character is in it for 2 seconds (played by a different actor) getting shot in the face. If you skip forward to the 36:00 mark of the video I posted, you'll see it.

Though I do have a fondness for the original Kickboxer movie also, and Bloodsport.

Crash Dummie

Oh, I also should mention the Blues Brothers. This movie is amazing from beginning to end, and the soundtrack is one of the best there ever was.

JasonzSon

Let's do this here, too.  Top 5 non-horror films:
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Scarface
Men in Black
Pulp Fiction

Chucky

Not in my top 5 or anything but Glengarry Glen Ross will help grow your pubes to the length in which they need to be. The manliest (non-gay) movie on earth.