Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Favorite Non-Horror Film of all Time

Started by JasonzSon, February 05, 2013, 06:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrumrbaxJ

Quote from: Crash Dummie on February 06, 2013, 08:38:41 AM
Oh, I also should mention the Blues Brothers. This movie is amazing from beginning to end, and the soundtrack is one of the best there ever was.

Yes. Yes. And yes.

SmartgunnerDrake

Aliens. Easily my favorite film in the series, so many memorable characters and some strong females to, something current films are definitely lacking.

DrumrbaxJ

Quote from: SmartgunnerDrake on February 11, 2013, 11:20:11 AM
Aliens. Easily my favorite film in the series, so many memorable characters and some strong females to, something current films are definitely lacking.

And television too.

JasonzSon

I don't know, most modern television that I'm watching has been pretty conscientious in the area of strong women.

DrumrbaxJ

JasonzSon

Of the shows I generally watch-

Doctor Who - Generally has 1-2 male leads and 1-2 female leads.  Female leads have the current issue of a writer who has difficulty putting any flaws in them, but they are very rarely anything but strong.  Strong female supporting characters have been a mainstay of the show since its revival in 2005.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Despite being a show that has traditionally focused on 5 specific males, the female supporting cast has been rather effective.  Damsel in Distress situations do exist, but for a show focusing on 5 male combatants and featuring a female non-combatant, I feel they're kept to a relative minimum.

Green Lantern: The Animated Series - There are both pluses and minuses here.  On the upside, one of the main cast is an original character, a female who is an extremely strong character, both skilled and willing to risk her own life.  On the downside, a female who should have been in an important supporting role was demoted to a less important supporting role.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - I should think this goes without saying.  If it doesn't, keep in mind this is far from the show that the children of the 80s, 90s, and especially the 00s grew up on.  If you're still confused, imagine a less violent Powerpuff Girls focusing on a cast of what is effectively teens rather than kindergarten students.

DrumrbaxJ

I am sick of every single female character having to fall in love with the Doctor. That's why I liked Donna so much.

JasonzSon

So far we've got... six female companions out of twenty three have fallen in love with the Doctor.  Not the worst possible track record, in my estimation.  New show, it's four out of six, if Sarah Jane still counts as a companion under that reckoning.

DrumrbaxJ

Dude. We were talking about Eccleston, Tennant and Smith. Of which Rose, Martha, Amy and River all fall for him. Leaving only Donna to go "The fuck is up with them?"

JasonzSon

Amy does not fall in love with the Doctor.  Yes, there's a post-trauma event, but it is very clear after the immediate event that every time she expresses romantic feelings, it is always directed at Rory.

DeraiLer

You two wanna take this to a Dr. Who thread?

DrumrbaxJ

Quote from: JasonzSon on February 14, 2013, 01:05:30 AM
Amy does not fall in love with the Doctor.  Yes, there's a post-trauma event, but it is very clear after the immediate event that every time she expresses romantic feelings, it is always directed at Rory.

Dude, it wasn't until Rory stepped up that she stopped her swooning over Doc. Even then...

DeraiLer

Big Trouble in Little China has always been the movie I always get a kick out of and love it so that would be mine.

Daebo

Quote from: DeraiLer on February 18, 2013, 03:43:11 AM
Big Trouble in Little China has always been the movie I always get a kick out of and love it so that would be mine.
Good call.