Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Best Movie In a Horror Series

Started by Rotting Corpse, December 10, 2013, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rotting Corpse

Hey all, new here :) This seems like a cool place, I love Horror and everyone here seems cool. Thought this would be a fun topic. Of these Horror series, which is your single favorite entry in each? Add more series to the list if you'd like along with your pick for the best installment.

---

Friday The 13th
Halloween
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Saw
Scream
Alien
Predator
Phantasm
Evil Dead
Child's Play
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Hellraiser
Final Destination
Paranormal Activity

---

IMO the best in each:

Friday The 13th - The Final Chapter
Halloween - 1978 Original
A Nightmare On Elm Street - New Nightmare
Saw - Saw II
Scream - Original
Alien - Aliens
Predator - Predator 2
Phantasm - Phantasm II
Evil Dead - Evil Dead II
Child's Play - Original
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2003 Remake
Hellraiser - Original
Final Destination - Original
Paranormal Activity - Original

Puking king

The originals are the best.  At times the sequels are ok, but mostly not.

Rotting Corpse

Have you seen all of the series listed above and all of their entries?

I agree the original is the best a lot of the time, but there are plenty of instances where a sequel has been better, IMO.

L-Face

Let's see here.

Friday The 13th - The original. Not a fan of Jason as the killer.

Halloween - The original, but 2 is really close. Really, if you watch them back to back, it's the one big film. The epitome of the slasher genre.

A Nightmare On Elm Street - The original again. Mostly due to it being the first movie to scare the shit out of me and have a lasting impact on my life.

Saw - Going with the original again, most because it was the only one that had a great atmosphere and had a twist ending that I didn't see coming. The rest were just an excuse to kill people off in grotesque fashion while the first was more of a mystery.

Scream - I used to enjoy these films, but as time went on, I realized just how dumb they really were. Especially after the 3rd on hit and it was like, "Ok, now you're not even trying." So yeah, none.

Alien - Gotta go with the original. But much like the case with Halloween, the sequel (Aliens) is pretty close. The feeling of claustrophobia the original provided was as big a star as the Alien itself.

Predator - The original. Can't get much better than an Arnold action romp.

Phantasm - The original, but only because the later entries are extremely forgettable in my opinion.

Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2. This one really showed Raimi was growing as a director and Bruce was more comfortable in front of a camera. It also gave birth to the one-line spewing Ash we all know and love (though Army of Darkness cranked it up to 11.)

Child's Play - Child's Play 2 for sure. While I liked the original, it kind of lost my attention from time to time.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Again, the original. However, it took me time to appreciate just how good it really is. It's visceral and gritty. It sets a tone and sticks to it throughout. Very unforgiving in nature.

Hellraiser - This one is a bit harder to choose. I really love the first one, but the second one was a bit more grand in scale. I'll go with 2. I wanted to see more of Doug Bradley as Pinhead with his cenobites in tow and I got it with the added bonus of the Channard Cenobite. Good stuff.

Final Destination - I'll go with the second one on this. It was a lot more fun than the original and a lot more clever than the sequels.

Paranormal Activity - Fucking hate these movies. All of them suck.

Shadow

Friday The 13th- Going to have to go with the original, it stands out to me much more than all the other ones, for obvious reasons.

Halloween- The original, definitely. I could also merge Halloween II with this one since, I feel, they are easily combined into one big movie.

A Nightmare On Elm Street- Again, the original.

Saw- The original. The ending for this one alone makes it the best in the series by comparison to the others, I think.

Scream- To be honest, I haven't watched any of these movies in years, and have forgotten damn near everything about them. I'll abstain on this one.

Alien- The original. One of my favorite alien (meaning genre) movies out there, I feel. Plus Jonesy.

Predator- Ahnuld goes toe to toe with an alien using Earth as a safari? Yes please.

Phantasm- Much like Scream, I haven't seen much of this series in years, and have tended to forget it. Abstaining again.

Evil Dead- While I like the series as a concept, I don't really remember much of Evil Dead II, and don't particularly care for the original Evil Dead. Of the four (including the remake) I most recently saw Army of Darkness. I guess I'll go with that one, you can't really go wrong.

Child's Play- Jeez, here is one that I haven't seen in forever. I caught the tail end of Seed on Halloween this year and that's about it. Abstaining.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre- I've only ever seen the original and the remake, none of the ones in between, so I'll have to abstain once again.

Hellraiser- I don't really care for any of the movies in this series.

Final Destination- Never really hopped on to this series like some people did. I liked the first few and then just stopped watching. Don't really have an answer for this one.

Paranormal Activity- I like the original concept for this series, but I can't stand a single one of the movies at all.

Jigsaw

This is actually an interesting topic. Shame I saw it only seven years late.  [*hehehmm*]

Friday The 13th - Long thought that the fourth one (The Final Chapter) was the best. The second is pretty good, but I think the fourth is just all around the most solid.

Halloween - The original is an easy 10/10, so despite some great sequels (the second and fourth), have to go with the first one.

A Nightmare On Elm Street - The first movie, though the third film (Dream Warriors) is a very solid contender.

Saw - The first movie, pretty easily.

Scream - The first movie, another easy one. Scream 4 was pretty decent also, though.

Alien - Always been a proponent of Aliens being the best. After finally seeing the third and fourth movie, I can pretty much confirm Aliens as my favorite.

Predator - Have to go with the first movie, though it's worth noting I've not seen the 2018 movie.

Phantasm - Phantasm II is pretty good, but the first movie has an unbeatable atmosphere, so the first, definitely.

Evil Dead - Never been a big fan of this series. Have to go with the second one.

Child's Play - I have a three-way split between the first, second, and Curse of Chucky. I give each one an 8.5/10. Guess I'll go with the first, since it started it all.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - I'm an odd duck, and I find Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III the most enjoyable. It should be noted I've not seen the Next Generation, but I highly doubt that'd usurp my love for the third movie.

Hellraiser - The first movie, though Hellbound: Hellraiser II is a very solid sequel.

Final Destination - Final Destination 5 is my favorite Final Destination movie. After the fifth, I'd probably go the first movie.

Paranormal Activity - Only seen two of these so far, and they're abominable.

Chucky

Friday the 13th series
Jason X is probably the most enjoyable to me. Though part 4 is right there with it... thank you, Crispin Glover.

Halloween series
Halloween 6 is my favourite. I find Michael to be the most frightening and relentless in this movie.

A Nightmare on Elm Street series
The original. Listen to the podcast to find out what I like about it. [*finger*]

Saw series
Probably the original but it has been a while since I saw the others. I remember somewhat enjoying part 4, but that might have been thanks to the song that X Japan did for the movie.

Scream series
The original. Listen to the podcast to find out what I like about it. [*finger*]

Alien series
Aliens, it's a consistently entertaining thrill-ride. Game over man, game over.

Predator series
The original. Can't beat Ahnuld, gargh.

Phantasm series
This is a series I've never full given my attention to and I don't think I've properly watched more than half of them. I did watch part 5 a few days ago... but the only other one I can say that I have properly watched is the original movie, which is decent, but not great.

Evil Dead series
Army of Darkness, which is kind of hard to say because it's the least horror of all of them and it is somewhat of a medieval movie... outside of 'Your Highness', I've never been fond of medieval movies. I guess the comedy is its saving grace. But I still wouldn't rate any higher than a 7/10.

Child's Play series
The original, but the second movie is right there with it.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre series
I guess the original... or maybe the 2003 remake. Not sure. Will need to watch the others again.

Hellraiser series
The original, but the second is fine enough too.

Final Destination series
I honestly couldn't say. But probably one of the first three movies.

Paranormal Activity series
If I had to choose, I would say the original. But this is definitely the least enjoyable series of all on the list.

gorefan1428

id have to go with the originals on all of these except for Friday the 13th which id pick part 3 and paranormal activity which id pick none as i could not force my self to make it through any of them as they all suck