Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Man of Steel (2013)

Started by JasonzSon, June 19, 2013, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonzSon

Anybody else watch this?  I'm not a huge Superman fan, so I've got to say my complaints are a bit different from that of other people.  Still, my overall score, 6/10, does not seem to be all that untrendy.

L-Face

I'm not a Superman fan either and really wasn't looking forward to this movie. The things that gave me hope were that the Nolans were producing, David S. Goyer was writing, and Snyder was directing. Granted, Snyder's last film Suckerpunch was a giant piece of shit, but at least I could expect some decent visuals with this one. But everything I've heard about this has been extremely negative. Not nearly as negative as Superman returns, but a lot of people were let down it seems. I'll likely end up waiting until this one hits DVD and give it a rental or something.

Crash Dummie

I'm going with my father for a late father's day present tomorrow. I'll post both our opinions. It looks like it's gonna be alright.

Crash Dummie

Turbo Review:

CHEST HAIR! BABOOM!!! RUSSELL CROWE!

I really liked it. The story was pretty slow, but enjoyable, and the action scenes were amazing. It's the first time a Superman movie offers such a spectacle. They really wanted to compete with the Avengers' huge city fight. They chose the perfect actors for Supes and Zod, and while I like the girl who does Lois a lot, she looks more like Lana Lang to me.

Only parts I didn't like were the VERY SUBTLE "Superman is Jesus" scene, and at the very end (not really a spoiler), he gets hired by the Daily Planet, and I'm not sure if everyone's playing dumb, or if they actually don't recognize him.

The stupid glasses were always the part of the mythos I couldn't get over, and I wish they simply hadn't bothered with them in this reboot. Reeves almost made them work, but here, he spends the whole film blowing his cover.

Still, pretty damn good.

Shadow

JasonzSon

Superman has ALWAYS been Jesus, so I'm not surprised you read that from the movie.

Crash Dummie

Dude, it's exactly what I'm saying; the Jesus and Moses parallels are so easy to make, they didn't need to stick a Jesus picture behind him for 5 minutes while he was talking to a priest. Subtlety would have been better.

JasonzSon

Did they really?  I'm kind of glad I missed that.  I know what scene you were talking about, but I tend to miss background details in my first watch-through.  Still, sounds like the kind of thing Zach Snyder would do given that material; even more the type of thing Christopher Nolan would insist on.

Dorkus

Superman is incapable of having a good movie (apart from the original, but it's aged terribly), which is odd. Guy that can do pretty much anything...how do you fuck THAT up?

Crash Dummie

The first one did age horribly. But I thought this new one was very decent.

L-Face

I really wouldn't say "Superman is incapable of having a good movie." Especially if you throw someone like Doomsday or Darkseid at him. When you've got a villain that makes it seem like there's no way, even for Superman, to win.....then you've got a movie. Problem is, the general public is only familiar with Luthor and Zod (not the other villains faults, just the way shit happens.) Personally, I hate Superman. But if you put his other villains like, Parasite, Metallo, etc in......I'll watch it.

JasonzSon

I think they should take a leaf from the DCAU and give us a movie where Vandal Savage is the villain.  It would be a good way to introduce the live action films to fans of animated movies and Young Justice.

Crash Dummie

...Randal Savage? This would be an awesome movie.