Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Drive

Started by Crash Dummie, June 08, 2013, 01:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash Dummie

Drive
(2011, directed by Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn, starring Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, Oscar Isaac, and Albert Brooks)

Anyone else has seen this movie? I heard that the game "Hotline Miami" was based on it, so I went ahead and bought the bluray.

Holy shit. It skyrocketed into my favorite movies of all time just like that. I loved "Bronson" by the same director, but I figuratively blew my load over Drive. Everything from the soundtrack, direction, actors, dialogues (or lack there-of) screams kick ass cult classic.

The best way I could describe this movie is an artsy "The Transporter". It's quiet and beautiful, but the few times violence does happen, it has so much impact it leaves your jaw dropped.

This film also made me a Ryan Gosling fanboy. I want to be him. I turn only 86% straight when he's on screen.

Then a 120% when Christina Hendricks appears.

CRASH LOVES

Thoughts? Opinions?

Chucky

Your opinion is also pretty much the same opinion as mine... I guess you should follow-up with a viewing of The Place Beyond The Pines.

Chucky

I also thought this was pretty funny, this is the short version of Drive:

(click on picture to make it bigger)

Crash Dummie

I believe your picture link is broken.

Quote from: Chucky on June 08, 2013, 08:04:43 PM
Your opinion is also pretty much the same opinion as mine... I guess you should follow-up with a viewing of The Place Beyond The Pines.

This one isn't though. It looks awesome.

Shadow

I saw it, and really liked it. Only real gripe was that Gosling was a little too quiet... made it hard to hear him sometimes. He has that problem with pretty much any movie he's in, though, so I got over it. Loved the intro song, too.

I also heard that they're in talks of making a second film.

Crash Dummie

Still borkened.

Quote from: Shadow on June 09, 2013, 02:30:40 PM
I saw it, and really liked it. Only real gripe was that Gosling was a little too quiet... made it hard to hear him sometimes. He has that problem with pretty much any movie he's in, though, so I got over it. Loved the intro song, too.

I also heard that they're in talks of making a second film.
He is quiet, but I have a home theatre, so I didn't have any problem.

DeraiLer

I also loved Drive. The music fit well and gave the movie some nice life. Really good movie I also think is top notch.

L-Face

I've yet to see Drive, but I've heard nothing but good things. Due to not seeing it, I avoided the first post (no offense, Crash.) I just don't want to have it spoiled for me (course, if there are spoilers in the aforementioned post and I read them, it'd be my own fault.) At any rate, yeah.....I'll get around to Drive eventually.

Crash Dummie

I've been careful not to spoil anything. The worst thing about this movie is that I won't be able to watch it for the first time again.

Quote from: DeraiLer on June 10, 2013, 09:38:58 AM
I also loved Drive. The music fit well and gave the movie some nice life. Really good movie I also think is top notch.
It really is more than "just" a soundtrack. It goes together with the film so well.

Dorkus

Heisenberg is in this? Now I'm seeing it.

JasonzSon

Quote from: Dorkus on June 21, 2013, 09:49:16 AM
Heisenberg is in this? Now I'm seeing it.
I'm uncertain.

If you don't get why I quoted this... you probably don't get the pun.

Crash Dummie

It's not a huge role, but it's an important one. And anything Cranston does is always great.

Chucky

So Crash, I saw 'Only God Forgives' at the cinema today:

I've never seen a movie SOOOO divided on reviews. It's an extreme love or hate flick. Definitely one that fans of 'Drive" will want to watch but not necessarily all of them will enjoy it. I personally liked it and think it will get better upon repeat viewings, but I think the only way you can enjoy this movie is to watch it alone with no distractions or else you miss the subtle nuances that put all of the pieces of the story together.

It is another stylistic movie with a great score but is on a whole other level or being an 'arthouse' film than Drive though which is leading to a lot of criticism.

Crash Dummie

I'm totally down for seeing it. Refn is becoming one of my favorite director, and Gosling one of my favorite mancrush actor, so I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed.