Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

After Earth

Started by JasonzSon, June 03, 2013, 11:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonzSon

So I hear that M. Night Shyamalan has continued his trend of drawing terrible performances out of good and bad actors alike with After Earth.  I was planning to see this yesterday, but I wasn't walking to the theatre in 87 degrees to see a movie I was hearing bad things about.  Anybody watch this movie?

Crash Dummie

Years ago, I was the only one groaning in my local theatre when I saw Mr. Shabadabadoo's name in a teaser. Now everyone groans.

Fuck this guy and his movies. I love Unbreakable, but fuck him.

Chucky

The trailers for this look like ass anyways. I just can't get into any film that uses HEAVY doses of CGI.

L-Face

I've never been a Shyamalan fan. Thought the Sixth Sense was overrated and any other film of his I watched was due to being dragged to the theater by friends or watching them with Rifftrax and laughing at just how ridiculous his movies are. The fact that people are still allowing him to make movies when they've gradually gotten worse is astounding.

Crash Dummie

I went into The Happening taking it seriously, and I cringed so hard that I quit 30 minutes in.

I'd watch it again as a comedy though. With alcohol.

L-Face

It's so bad, it's hilarious. Not quite on par with the Room or Birdemic, but it's up there.

Shadow

I haven't seen it, don't plan on seeing it... not only because of Shamallama, but because the story just didn't seem all that appealing. Combine that with the fact that I'm a big fan of Smith's kid getting shoved down our throats, yeah, no plans on seeing it. Also...

Quote from: JasonzSon on June 03, 2013, 11:50:08 PM87 degrees
I hate you.

JasonzSon

Shadow, you realize that my friends visit Arizona in the summer to escape the weather?  Until Phoenix develops a coast and 100% humidity days, no.

Quote from: L-Face on June 04, 2013, 04:39:21 AM
Thought the Sixth Sense was overrated
Thank you!  The only reason I watched any of his films were because I had hopes that it would be impossible to fuck up The Last Airbender.  I watched all of the films he had release to that point, and enjoyed The Village the most, the sole reason being that I treated it like a comedy.

Actually, I enjoyed Signs when I was younger.  Now, I have to be in the right mood to watch it and ignore the ways it makes no sense.

Crash Dummie

In Signs, I still like the scene where they have what they think is going to be their last meal together. The rest is pretty much just bullshit.

JasonzSon

It's one of those movies that is really effective at setting the mood, but when you look past that to pay closer attention it gets problematic.

Pastor

That scene in The Happening where Marky Mark and the lady watch the video of that guy getting his arms ripped off by lions is one of the most unintentionally funny things I've ever seen.

JasonzSon

Pretty much every death scene in that movie is that way.  I know of people who swear by it as the comedy of our generation.

L-Face

When it was said that wind was an indication of when shit was going to go down, I laughed every time hair and trees were blowing in the wind and the characters were "safe." Obviously you can't control nature, which is why it makes a terrible "killer."

JasonzSon

From what I understand, Stanley Kubrick would have found a way.

Pastor

Quote from: L-Face on June 06, 2013, 12:05:25 AM
When it was said that wind was an indication of when shit was going to go down, I laughed every time hair and trees were blowing in the wind and the characters were "safe." Obviously you can't control nature, which is why it makes a terrible "killer."

[*cry*] Now I have to scrap my script about killer rain.