Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Hellraiser Remake

Started by KennyThaKilla, October 26, 2013, 06:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyThaKilla

Yesterday, Clive Barker posted this message on his Facebook wall....

QuoteHOT FROM HELL!

My friends, I have some news which may be of interest to you. A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with Bob Weinstein of Dimension Pictures, in the course of which I pitched a remake of the first HELLRAISER film. The idea of my coming back to the original film and telling the story with a fresh intensity - honoring the structure and the designs from the first incarnation but hopefully creating an even darker and richer film - was attractive to Dimension.

Today I have officially been invited to write the script based upon that pitch. What can I tell you about it? Well, it will not be a film awash with CGI. I remain as passionate about the power of practical make-up effects as I was when I wrote and directed the first HELLRAISER. Of course the best make-up in the world loses force if not inhabited by a first-rate actor. I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley, and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed.

So once the papers are signed, I will open a Lemarchand Configuration, dip my quill in its contents and start writing. I promise that there will be nowhere on the Internet where the news of my progress will be more reliable than here, because the only author of these reports will be Your Infernal Corespondent, me. My very best wishes to you all, my friends.

Clive.

I'm not a fan of remakes.

Michael Bay butchered Freddy and Jason in their respective films, and don't even get me started on the Rob Zombie debacle that was Halloween 1 and 2. Having said that, there are some exceptions; John Carpenter's The Thing, Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead, just to name a few.

While I'm not claiming this remake will be of the same caliber as the aforementioned films, this news is definitely intriguing, considering this will be a remake by Clive himself and Doug Bradley will be reprising his role as Pinhead... something the stiffs over at Platinum Dunes dropped the ball on regarding Robert Englund and Kane Hodder. Clive's smart enough to know that when you're making a film for a well-established fanbase, you give the fans what they want... and they want Doug Bradley. *Hear that, Bay?*

Also encouraging is Clive's promise to stick to practical effects over CGI. Can't wait to see how he'll tear our souls apart this time.

"We have such sights to show you... "

Chucky

Good to hear. This has got to be better than the DTV hell that Hellraiser fans have been subjected to for decades.

KennyThaKilla

Indeed. I'm breathing easy knowing that Clive is at the helm.

Shadow

Never really cared for the series as it was... maybe a remake is what I'd need to get into it. At the very least, Clive still seems to be involved in it, so maybe our expectations shouldn't be quite down in the dumps yet?

Deathclaw

I say yes, theres no way of replacing the original, but why not something like this might be fun in our day and age of writers block movies....