Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

We died again

Started by Dorkus, April 30, 2013, 07:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorkus

[*no*]

Makes you wonder if bringing this place back was worth it, or did my girl problems drive everyone away?

L-Face

Well, I haven't had much to say recently myself, thus my lack of posting. Been playing DCUO like gang busters with my friend and his wife, but I've also been away so I can try to get a jerb.

JasonzSon

I think once we get a front page and some regular movie review discussion, we'll be in a good place.  It's hard keeping things going when new people can't look at the site and we don't have the reviews to discuss.  I've been busy writing and haven't been spending much time coming up with new threads myself.

gorefan1428

I have been all kinds of busy thus my lack of posting,only have two semesters of school left to finish up my degree, running my business, and spending time with the family.

Once school is finished up i should be able to post more often and actually have time to watch movies again.

Chucky

I currently work for a company that has a few online retailing websites and have since learned a LOT about the competitive world of websites and internet marketing wars that these places engage in and it's pretty much made me realise that this website needs to focus on being more of a club rather than trying to be some commercial site trying to compete with the other big names. We all know each other reasonably well and know whose opinions we can value when it comes to reviews and such rather than relying on some random douche posting his thoughts. Can a I trust a review on Bloody-Disgusting when I know nothing about the reviewer? Don't think so. Our regulars probably know as much about each other as anyone can on a forum without having met each other in the flesh. We're not (and never really have been) bound by forum rules, which I think allows people to see what we're really like and connect with us. The site will be more about catering to our regulars rather than a general audience. While we won't get new members FLOCKING to us with this direction, we will get some over time which I will only consider a bonus. If a new member can't handle us, fuck 'em.

I will certainly add things to the website over time to make it more interesting, but they won't come too fast. Hopefully in the coming months I'll have reviews available. I am taking a few weeks off work late in May so there is potential for me to speed up the process.

I (and maybe others) has or has to come to terms with me no longer being able to spend 5+ hours per day working on this website like I used to. The daily grind hits hard. I started this website when I was a teenager... I'm turning 30 next February. It's just not an option anymore to replicate how fast the updates would come with the website when it was younger. There's so much more to worry about as you get older... family, health, money etc and it just reduces the amount of time available to invest in other things such as this. I'm happy to keep it going, no matter if we're getting 1,000 posts per month or if it's only 100 posts per month.

gorefan1428

Quote from: Chucky on April 30, 2013, 11:07:44 PM
I currently work for a company that has a few online retailing websites and have since learned a LOT about the competitive world of websites and internet marketing wars that these places engage in and it's pretty much made me realise that this website needs to focus on being more of a club rather than trying to be some commercial site trying to compete with the other big names. We all know each other reasonably well and know whose opinions we can value when it comes to reviews and such rather than relying on some random douche posting his thoughts. Can a I trust a review on Bloody-Disgusting when I know nothing about the reviewer? Don't think so. Our regulars probably know as much about each other as anyone can on a forum without having met each other in the flesh. We're not (and never really have been) bound by forum rules, which I think allows people to see what we're really like and connect with us. The site will be more about catering to our regulars rather than a general audience. While we won't get new members FLOCKING to us with this direction, we will get some over time which I will only consider a bonus. If a new member can't handle us, fuck 'em.

I will certainly add things to the website over time to make it more interesting, but they won't come too fast. Hopefully in the coming months I'll have reviews available. I am taking a few weeks off work late in May so there is potential for me to speed up the process.

I (and maybe others) has or has to come to terms with me no longer being able to spend 5+ hours per day working on this website like I used to. The daily grind hits hard. I started this website when I was a teenager... I'm turning 30 next February. It's just not an option anymore to replicate how fast the updates would come with the website when it was younger. There's so much more to worry about as you get older... family, health, money etc and it just reduces the amount of time available to invest in other things such as this. I'm happy to keep it going, no matter if we're getting 1,000 posts per month or if it's only 100 posts per month.

Well said Chuck on so many levels.

I have came to know an respect many of the people on this forum over many years as well as their opinions.

It has sort of been like an internet family so to speak, hell i even like some of the people on here even more than some members of my blood family.

If we get new members that's cool if not so be it.

"There's so much more to worry about as you get older... family, health, money etc and it just reduces the amount of time available to invest in other things such as this."

Got to have those priorities strait.

Doomed Knight

I'm the biggest lurker here and I don't post often, but it's not because I don't want to, but more because I'm trying to calm down with shitty opinions that nobody understands what the hell I'm talking about.

but its still fun to be with the old, and having new people here make it awesome too.

keep being serious and fun with movie reviews, let's talk about bullshit, and of course, more Talking Bullhead.

Puking king

Quote from: Chucky on April 30, 2013, 11:07:44 PM

I agree.  As for the reviews, I used to rely on rumblewolf's opinion and his movie taste was something I found to be trustworthy.  So, yes, it is much easier to trust a review from someone you know rather than from a complete stranger.

DeraiLer

I agree. Dorkus girl problems drove everyone away.

Doomed Knight

or is it your scary cock?

DeraiLer

Do not fear it. Go ahead, touch it. It wont bite.

Doomed Knight

but Jz will, so watch out.

El Fwiso

I was missing this family, it's good to see it's back.

I missed specially this icon --> [*hibaby*]

Doomed Knight

DeraiLer

Wait, if we died and are still chatting, are we Zombies? Return of the Living Dead zombies? That talk?