Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Started by L-Face, April 06, 2013, 05:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-Face

So the trailer to the new MGS game debuted about a week or so ago and it finally answered a lot of questions people had. For those unaware, last year, Hideo Kojima debuted a new entry into the game titled "Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes" which furthers the story of Big Boss. The game was to be open world, which is breaking the norm a bit for the mostly linear stage design of the series past. Months later, a mysterious trailer debuted at the Spike Video Game Awards titled "The Phantom Pain" by a "new" game studio called "Moby Dick Studios." Once that trailer was shown, people immediately got that it was a MGS game, but the question was, "Does that mean Ground Zeroes is off?" Well, after the debut of MGS V: The Phantom Pain, that answer is, "no." It seems that they'll be released separately, but together they make up MGS V. Also interesting to note that they'll be released on both the Xbox 360 and the PS3. A next gen release is speculated, but not confirmed.

Here's the trailer:

Honestly, I'm super excited about this game. I'm a huge Metal Gear fan and probably one of the few that wasn't disappointed in MGS 4. When the demo video for Ground Zeroes was released, Kojima already had my money. Then the trailer for the Phantom Pain emerged and my money was thrown at my computer, but that didn't seem to work. Anyways....From a visual stand point, MGS V looks fantastic. Though it should be noted that the computer running the game/that put the trailer together is comparable to a 360/PS3, but will be dialed back a bit to run as flawlessly as possible. Thus far, there's one thing that's got me bummed: David Hayter won't be returning.

Enough rambling. Anyone else looking forward to this? Thoughts? 

Chucky

Cinematically, looks awesome. Surprised David Hayter isn't returning. He doesn't strike me like the type who would be too busy to come back so he probably doesn't care about the series anymore.

L-Face

The Hayter situation is an odd one. Apparently, he wasn't even asked to come back. He was talking to one of the people that works on the game and asked if he'd be needed to reprise the role. The guy was like, "nope." and that was that. Then in a recent interview, Hideo Kojima said that he didn't call Hayter back to play the role because he "wanted to take the series in a new direction." that, despite the fact that the Japanese voice actor is the same for Snake as it as been for the entirety of the series.

Giddins

it won't be the same. that voice IS snake. I will still play them both though. and I loved 4. the cut scenes go on a bit too long even for a metal gear game. but I loved it. one is still my fave and 3 is still the best in terms of gameplay

L-Face

Yeah, it's definitely a bummer. A lot of people are convinced the guy that does the voice of Snake in the trailer is Kiefer Sutherland which, if true, is interesting to say the least. I'm not a huge fan of his, but eh. There's still plenty of time left for Kojima to reconsider. Hopefully he will. Thought, Hayter not being in won't be a deal breaker. Still very much interested in this game.

Dorkus